2001 X-Type 3.0 SE Auto - No Reverse!

tmwsccsh

Evening all.

First posting and it's not good news :-(

Reversed off the drive yesterday morning, drove to work no problem at all, got to the car park, selected reverse and nothing - just revs. Turned off and on a few times - still nothing.

The selector is lighting up the R so that's a start and there is a noise / feeling / clunk from underneath when reverse is engaged (as usual) so it suggests something is happening, but then there is no movement at all.

Drive is fine and he works exactly as he should forwards.

So I suspect a solenoid but could be wrong.

There are no fault lights on the dashboard at the moment (gearbox fault or similar) although I have been getting "cruise not available" for 3-4 weeks when he's cold but that goes away after about 3 minutes of driving and cruise works fine when it says that anyway.

I did read on a posting somewhere that it could be that there is not enough transmission fluid in that is causing this but that could simply be a red herring.

I have contacted several automatic gearbox places in the area but have had nothing back yet (apart from one who only wanted to replace it - so much for diagnostic and repair...).

In the first instance, anyone got any immediate suggestions as to a quick recovery from this? Wondering if pulling the battery for 30 minutes may reset something for example?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Tim Watts

Hi Tim

I do truly hope that I'm wrong here but I think that your gearbox problem may well be terminal.

I had the same problem with my 3 litre sport last year and it proved to be curtains for my car. Of course it was repairable but given the age of my car (2002) the cost of a replacement box £250-£300 and the cost of labour because it was beyond my mechanical skills, then it had to be. When I googled the problem, the consensus was that the reverse gear going on the J gate box is a sure sign that it is FUBAR. I might say that just like yours I had no tell-tale signs that anything was wrong with the gearbox, it literally went from working perfectly to not driving backwards within an hour or so.

Again I do hope that in your case I am wrong and your problem can be easily and cheaply solved, but be prepared for the worst just in case.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Hi,

Does indeed sound like similar symptoms.

I spotte a gearbox on eBay yesterday for £250 I think it was so that's not too bad - if I can get a box for that amount and then someone can remove and reinstall for a sensible amount I will go with it.

I do all I can to keep it running - replacement engine about 60,000 miles ago and the gearbox also gave up a bit a couple of years ago - lost 1st and 5th but the selector solenoids for those were replaced and all came back to life - which is why I was wondering if it could be as simple as replacing the reverse solenoid on this occasion.

I have also read some stories whilst Googling of people who have found something loose / missing in the box and have drilled a small hole, jiggered about a bit in there and got it going again - it's a bit more precise and technical than that but you get the idea...

I think it just annoys me a bit (may be too harsh) that there are places out there that claim to be repairers and all they want to do is replace when there may be other options that can get you going again...

Thanks for your response and sharing - I will keep all advised on progress.

Regards

TMW

Edited by tmwsccsh

Tim

First thing I would do is check your battery............. Sounds silly I know, A weak battery will throw up gearbox fault and cruise not available, Without seeing the car I can't diagnose for definite, Might just save you a lot of heartache and money....... Shame you are so far away as I could have done the transplant for you.

Do you know what, it's not as silly as it sounds...

Just went out there and measured the voltage with nothing running and no key in.  12.27.  Seems a bit low to me.  Tried to start him - just some horrible noises and a high-speed clicking sound 7 or 8 times after stopping trying for a few seconds.

Tried again - same thing - horrible noises (like it's trying to fire but can't) and then when I turn him off again, the clicking is there again.

Took the key out and measured the voltage once more - 12.07.  So, looks like the battery might be shot!

Alas, I am off to see family shortly (have another car so that's Ok!) so can't get to Halfords to get another today - job for tomorow night now, clearly.

The only thing I would ask, is it possible that a weak battery could also cause a gear to vanish?  I guess anything is possible to be honest - the battery has been in for 3 years now and I have done almost 80,000 miles in that time so maybe it is due a new one...

Thanks for the pointer - will let you know how it goes after I replace it tomorow.

TMW

I have seen all gears vanish, I bought a rather nice S type 3.0 last week for pennies with a supposed goosed gearbox, DSC fail showing, Limp mode on, Guy told me he was still driving it, A weak battery can throw up these faults and then the gearbox doesn't know what to do and throws a wobbly, Another semi related situation, As little as 250ml of auto transmission fluid can make the difference between having gears and none at all.....................

Ps Battery voltage does sound low.

I have seen all gears vanish, I bought a rather nice S type 3.0 last week for pennies with a supposed goosed gearbox, DSC fail showing, Limp mode on, Guy told me he was still driving it, A weak battery can throw up these faults and then the gearbox doesn't know what to do and throws a wobbly, Another semi related situation, As little as 250ml of auto transmission fluid can make the difference between having gears and none at all.....................

Ps Battery voltage does sound low.

Hi,

Right, managed to get out to get a new battery - have fitted it and tried again. Still no reverse :-(

So off to get the fluid checked in the week.

Encouraging to hear that fluid levels can cause problems.

Here's hoping...

TMW

Going in on Wednesday to have the fluid checks and start the diagnostic process.

Got a lot of information from another forum as well so will pass that in to the equation - 

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/134/163800.html?p=1734705#p1734705

... for those who are following.

Will advise on progress.

Regards

TMW

Morning all,

Well, he went in yesterday - fluid change to be done first as several have suggested that (as well as the garage themselves) and then it goes to the transmission guy...

As a matter of interest, thinking worst case, can anyone advise if the Auto gearbox on the 2001 3.0 was the same as that on the 2.5?  Some things I have read would suggest they are.  If so, replacing suddenly became a little easier...  Oh, and what year cars is the box the same from looking at a used replacement if needed...?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

Cheers.

There's been a turn of events this afternoon - existing transmission is indeed no more - estimate £1,400 plus VAT to take it out, repair it and put it back in.  I am therefore waiting for a price for the removal of that one and the installation of another - possibly the one in that link or another one I have seen on there.

Hoping it will be around £600-£700 or so for the labour but we shall see.

Can't be more than 4 or 5 screws holding it in, slide it out, new one in, then replace the 5x screws can it???  :lol:

TMW

:-)

I had a feeling it would be a large job - I've seen many a gearbox change on Wheeler Dealers and Fast & Loud so am expecting it to be a long one.

Thanks for the offer though - pity I don't have the stuff needed as I would definitely have taken you up on that.  Hopefully I will get the pricing today so will let you know...

TMW

Hi,

Well, some good news.

Gearbox is £300 delivered.

Price to remove and fit is £400 including fluids etc.

So all in, not a bad price I think - definitely better than the £1,400 plus VAT etc. that was originally being estimated.

Ordering the box shortly...

TMW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Forgot to post - sorry!

Got the car back on Friday and all going well - apart from one thing, not gearbox related.

Since getting him back, there is an awful smell coming through when stationary at lights / roundabouts - it's almost as if the exhaust has not been fitted properly and it's coming out the front not the back.  Have also noticed there is not much exhaust smoke coming out the back, especially on the colder mornings we are now having.

Have already spoken to the garage about it and he is going in on Tuesday afternoon to be looked at.  Originally I thought it could have been burning Oil or fluid that had been spilled but it's been 6 days so am guessing that's not the case...

TMW

Could possibly have not fitted the shim/gasket at the front joint, It sits pretty much below the opening for the steering column which is quite large (saucer size) and if the seal has been disturbed it WILL let fumes in particularly when sat at lights etc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding - just don't seem to get the time to do anything at the moment...

Anyway, car has been back and they've had a sniff and a poke around and the theory is that there is a leak of fluid from the transfer box and the smell is it burning off as it comes out.  Not a major leak, just a small one but it needs sorting.  I had to get the car back as I needed it over the weekend just gone as I was transporting 3 people (you can't get 4 in an SL500 no matter how hard you try!) but I am in Ireland for a few days next week so it's going back in then to be sorted.

I am guessing the ATF will also need a top-up after this is done.

Interestingly, they said that it was noticed that the transfer box had nothing in it at all when they took the old gearbox out - not sure if I believe that or not, but you never know.

Will advise...

TMW

• 2 weeks later...