Please help.

X Type. 2004. 2.0d estate.manual

i really need some advice before i get my pants pulled down by the garages.

The car drove perfect, no rattles, no clutch related noises with excellent gear changes.

Yesterday i came to pull onto a road and i had to stop as i thought i chose the wrong gear.

I re-selected 1st but it still felt like the wrong gear.

Then the clutch went really hard and couldnt be depressed but i COULD select all gears but with no drive.

Then the clutch droped and stayed there. Still, the gear select mived freely but no drive.

That is where the clutch remains. It can be pulled up and pushed down but with no resistance at all apart from a little initial tension from maybe a spring.

The car is now stranded outside Halfords which was not by choice.

Halfords have removed the lower engine cover and say they can see a fluid leak and believe something in the gearbox may have collapsed??

Today they quoted £600 for a new clutch though they havent disamantled anything??

Tomorrow i will return with the AA for there opinion and probably a tow to a local garage.

This all happened without warning. Even after the event the engine runs smooth with no rattles etc.

I know the dual fly mass will make a racket before giving up so i doubt its that and all the gears engaged fine with no slips.

Ive only had the car 3 weeks and the previous owners have looked after it with receipts to show but the DM flywheel has never been changed.

I believe the cluctch shares fluid with the brakes and the reservoir is half between min and max. The brakes worked fine prior to this though i cant comment now...but with engine running i could pump them and the pedal became firm within a few pushes.

Im convinced it could be something simple but im no mechanic.

Please help

Thanks Dave

I would not have thought it to be a gearbox issue with you being able to select all gears easily however, my own feelings point to the clutch pressure plate. Occasionally you can get one that cracks or the likes. I believe you are making the right move by calling the AA out, at least you are getting a decent professional opinion even if you only get the option to be towed to a place of your choice then at least, you have the opportunity of picking a garage of choice rather than Halfrauds

Halfrauds :)

Its my 1st jag and although the kids call me grandpa in it (44) ive already said id have another...but newer.

To add insult to injury its been running on £10 top ups and yesterday i put £60 in and celebrated !!

It is something or nothing. I know im going to pay a premium but i just dont want the garage to have it to easy. I like my pants around my waist !

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave --personally I would say its your clutch presser plate that's the problem
 Because I think if it was your gearbox you would still have a clutch.???

You said the clutch went hard --I think something broke in the  plate and held the clutch out.???
                               --Or the thrust bearing.???

After saying all that --It could be your clutch master cylinder so I think the first thing I
would do is to see if its OK and not stuck out .??? Because that would be the cheapest thing first.???

Good luck ----Frank

Thanks frank.

unfortunately my commitments and lack of mechanical knowledge beyond basic mean i am at the mercy of others.

There were no signs anywhere a fluid leakage although the engine guard may have contained it.

My initial old school thought was clutch cable because thats how it felt although it didnt explain the stiffness but i dont think it has a cable.

I wish i had the time and tools to do diy as id rather invest than pay others but !Removed! happens and to be fair i cant see a carb or dizzy anywhere hehe

I know you guys cant fix it for me but i know you can limit how far down my trousers go

There are people on here that can and are willing to help you fix it. Bertieboy9 is one such man. I believe his rates are extremely good. He also knows more about the x types than most mechanics.

If it's the master cylinder he may have one at a reasonable price.

BTW I'm not on commission lol

Thanks ian

thats why i posted. People join forums cz they are passionate about something.

i love my cat even though ive only had it a few weeks.

Tomorrow i have to direct the AA somewhere.

i live in astley, manchester.

i aint loaded but i dont mind paying to genuine people and i know people on here work together.

Any local recommendations are more than welcome.

And thanks

Thanks peter.

where is he based? Im not sure of the t&c of my breakdown but i know halfrauds will be p***** off if they have to push my car up the ramp again tomorow night lol

I am new to this but i am happy to trust a club rather than a garage

Bertieboy9 is based in Leads. Well worth traveling to if you can arrange the transport. PM him and if he is available and the timing is right. I don't mind traveling down to lend a hand.

Sorry to hear of your woes, Hard to tell without seeing it but it does sound like clutch has gone, Slave cylinders tend to go over time and you say you still have brakes, I doubt the gearbox as you can still get gears, Worst case scenario I have a known good gearbox and I also have a good dmf and clutch that have only covered 7 thousand miles, These could be ideal if you're on a budget?? (Aren't we all) I am at my unit all day from about 10am today, I can be reached on 07543756805, Unfortunately space is the issue at the moment, I have room for the car but no room in front to get the engine out and work on it. Next week would be the earliest i could get it in.

• 2 years later...

O.K it's two plus years, but I'm facing a similar situation, but I feel certain it's just the Slave Cylinder.

My 2005 'X' Sport manual 2.5  that I bought new has been driving perfectly, no odd noises, no slow gear changes.

After a very cold spell temps not seriously low but -2 or -3 where I hadn't used the car for a couple of days. I was

going out on Saturday evening, I engaged 1st drove up my very steep drive into the road, no hints of any trouble,

then when changing into second the clutch pedal hit the floor. I'm quite gentle on clutches and at under 70K am

not expecting any problems.

I feel certain it's the seals in the slave cylinder that have blown. I recall several occasions where during very cold &

frosty weather I lost hydraulic systems in my 100E 1172 Ford Anglia. Once the clutch, but we limped home from a

party with clutchless changes after a push start in 1st. The other was brakes where the seals in a rear brake blew

depositing fluid in the drum - I drove for several days with just a hand brake operating on one rear wheel !! No I

wouldn't do that now, but nearly 50 years ago the roads were somewhat quieter.

I'll be having my local garage collect from the road barely 30 yards from home and see what comes of their examination.

Fluids do take in moisture which is why hydraulic fluids should be changed every 3 years, but I doubt the slave cylinder

has been bled since new. In fact as it's inside the bell housing it may be that it can't be bled ? At 75 I no longer crawl under

cars and since new September 2005 I've done nothing for myself on this vehicle.

I'll let you know how I get on.

GGDad-1 ........ actually GGDad of 3 now !!

Right, not exactly a rapid repair as my brilliant local garage are always fully booked for up to a week !!

They came and towed my car in on Monday morning. Using a rigid bar system, can't suspend tow 4 wheel drive vehicles.

They could see a fluid leak and topped up the single hydraulic cylinder to keep braking systems supported.

Started Wednesday afternoon and I collected on Thursday lunch time. The full bill including tow recovery just £156.

The problem being split and damaged hoses. The slave cylinder is held in the bellhousing by a metal spring clip. This had

corroded to the point of failure. Activating the clutch caused excessive movement to hydraulic pipes which then failed.

No need to replace, or even disturb the clutch plates.

I would suggest all 'X' type (Petrol?) owners of vehicles pushing 10 years old check this spring clip. It's not the cost that's

important, but the inconvenience of a roadside failure and recovery. You know it makes sense !!

GGDad-1

• Like 1