Key Fob Problems X-type help

mick0909

Hi Buds.

Just purchased a 2003 x-type 2 ltr V6 petrol and found that the key fob only works by using the key and then putting it in the ignition to position 1 to stop the alarm sounding. I have looked on the forums and found several ways to program the fobs but the only one that works part way is to put the key in the ignition and turn to position 1 then to position 2 four times. I then here a chime but the only button that will work is the lock button and then all that will do is arm the alarm and nothing else, no other buttons seem to do anything. Am i doing something wrong or is there possibly another issue. I have replaced the battery with a known good one.  Please Help.

Mick.

Mick I had the same problem a few weeks ago and IANSAN posted a set of instructions for reprogramming the fobs. I followed them to the letter and it worked a treat.

I copied his instructions for you

1 Open drivers door

2 Turn ignition switch to position 1 then to 2 four times. You will hear a chime.

3 Turn the ignition off and remove the key

4 Press a key on the key fob within ten seconds (unlock is a good one) You should hear a chime

5 If you want any other key fobs programmed just press a button and listen for the chime. Max of four can be programmed.

6 Close the door

7 Check to see if it has worked.

Good luck

Thank you Prof

I have tried this with the door open and with the door closed but the only button that seems to work is the lock button and then all it does is arm the alarm and lock the passenger doors. unlock, boot release and lights button do nothing, it is also the only button that makes a chime after taking the key out of the ignition when doing the reset. I have put a new battery in the fob.

Do i still need to put the key in the ignition to position 2 first to disable the alarm after unlocking the drivers door with the key before doing the reset?

It sounds like you have a faulty fob. Try fingazfobz or get a second hand one off eBay. Any x type fob can be reprogramed to open and close your car. You can also program one fob to open and close multiple cars. I can open both our cars with one of our spare fobs. 

Thought so. Just wanted to be sure that after replacing the fob I would no have problems starting the car because of the security chip.

Many thanks for your help. When the new fob arrives I will update this post, hopefully with good news.

Yep don that. It will change from miles to kilometers and back if i press the right button on the lower left panel and if i press the cruse control buttons it says cruse control on/off. I think i may have a stuck or non functioning stalk button, will need to investigate that first i think.  :rolleyes:  :mellow:

Yep don that. It will change from miles to kilometers and back if i press the right button on the lower RIGHT panel and if i press the cruse control buttons it says cruse control on/off. I think i may have a stuck or non functioning stalk button, will need to investigate that first i think.   :rolleyes:   :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem and bought two different X-type key fobs off eBay and although they fitted in the ignition they would not turn to position one.

It's not as easy as everyone is making out. Surely anyone could get an old fob off eBay and break into a car and programme a key and drive away.

Hi.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs, but if it is an auto then you must ensure that it is properly in Park and all the doors are closed before you try to program the key fob.

I had issues turning the key and even removing the key from the ignition until i noticed that it was not in park properly and I did not get any pings if the door was still open.

If it is a manual then ensure it is in neutral.

You may also need to ensure that the key fob battery is a new one or in good working order.

Mick.

• 4 years later...

hi guys i need help fully charged car battery put new battery in fob paired fob to car got all the right pinging noises as the instructions say fob worked then stopped working any ideas guys my car is a 04 x type saloon diesel.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership