New to Jaaaaaags

FictionBoy

Hi everybody.

I've become a proud owner of an 3.0 V6 S Type and I'm going to do some work to it. I'm good at cosmetic bits and I can manage some of the mechanics but I've never done anything with Jags or V6's so this is unexplored ground for me, but I'm up for the challenge.

It has 105k miles and I believe the previous owners weren't very service friendly. I've been driving it for the last couple of weeks and it really is amazing to drive.

I've started this post so that I can upload the updates and changes being made to it and also to get some help from you experts.

So I'm going to start by asking you some opinion on what usually goes wrong with them and what parts should I check to make sure all is good!

I've already replaced the lower suspension arm, already ordered new air filter and fuel filter and I'm thinking of changing spark plugs.

I've noticed that the engines sounds a bit like a diesel engine when it's cold it has like a ratling which I'm not sure if it should be there, I've been told the brake pipes are coroded (which is the cause for it not braking very well...) and also the gearbox gives quite a kick when you put it in reverse or when you go from neutral do drive (should I get it serviced?).

Thank you in advance for you help.

post-8184-0-47706200-1444938479_thumb.jp

Hi and welcome.

A gearbox service certainly won't do any harm, usually around the £250 mark BUT make sure they or you put the correct Jaguar recommend ATF in as "normal" ATF will wreck the box.

As for the rattle, cam chain tensioners stick and give the diesel rattle you hear, normally fixed by giving an engine Oil flush then a good quality Oil put in.

The only other things to look out for is rust, start with the sills behind the plastic covers then check very carefully the rear subframe for rust, unusually common on these cars but more prevalent on older cars.

Then it's just things you would look at on a lesser car, like does everything work, aircon, heater blowing cold and hot.

If it has satnav don't get excited, it's woeful and no upgrades are available.

Window regulators generally snap the lugs holding the glass but repair kits are available on eBay.

Aircon not working on earlier cars is almost always down to the pipe that runs by the left side of the engine as you look at it and is very expensive to buy and time consuming to replace.

Sorry to paint a bad picture but some cars suffer badly from neglect while others take it in their stride.

Enjoy yours and keep us updated.

Thanks a lot for that! I've just got some new 18'' Aruba wheels for it and I'm putting it up the ramp next weekend for service and check it all for rust. I've already noticed some on the left wheel arch but nothing serious. As for the service I went to the old Euro Carparts and I'm getting fuel, Oil and air Mann filters they seem to be the recommended! As for the Oil I'm going for the Petronas Syntim 5000 5w30.

It does have the satnav but it's rubbish! I'm thinking of replacing the whole unit (radio and satnav) with some updated kit but that's for later as I would have to build a frame for it.

I'm having to replace the brake pipes as I've been warned they're a bit corroded so would it be recommended improving the braking system (callipers and discs) or the factory one works ok?

Thanks for the help!

Chaps,

I have the OEM sat nav and find it perfectly adequate, in that I look up a postcode and it guides me there.

I particulalry like the way it is integrated with the rest of the system.

Other than the fact that the latest avaiable maps are a few years old now, can you expand on your views please?

I'm not trying to cause a row here. I'm genuinely interested in opinions, whether they accord with mine or not.

Paul, while the facelift satnav is more than adequate the satnav fitted to the earlier cars is really dreadful.

The op has 1999 in his details.

The only gripe I have with the current satnav screen is the bland logo screen.

The rest works perfect!!

Paul, while the facelift satnav is more than adequate the satnav fitted to the earlier cars is really dreadful.

The op has 1999 in his details.

The only gripe I have with the current satnav screen is the bland logo screen.

The rest works perfect!!

Thanks Andy,

I forgot about the upgrade :)

What I find with my SatNav besides being outdated is that you can't see the screen at daylight (probably due to being a old LCD) and it's not very accurate. But it is the older version quite different from the newer ones.

I'll probably replace it with an aftermarket double din sat nav as the CD box also doesn't work very well, but that's still a distant future as I've got all the mechanical bits to do first.

Something like this:

dnx4250bt.jpg

Just need to find one that's green or replace all the backlights on the cockpit!

Thanks Lui. It's easy to forget about the older satnav.

As an inveterate tinkerer, I'd be happy to follow any progress in fitting aftermarket head unit. Especially whether you can find a suitable fascia so the install looks good.

I personally use my iPod exclusively for all my music and the Jaguar OEM connectivity module probably cost me as much as a moderately good head unit. :lol:

I had a look at that module and it's quite expensive for it does! So I will replace the whole unit and get handsfree, airplay, satnav and sd card/usb reader. I will post every modification I do and I think the only challenge will be keeping the steering controls working.