s-type electrical problem

simoneraggi

For a couple of days my Jaguar s-type 2.7diesel (2005 ) makes the tantrums level electrical ... yellow lights that turn on failures while driving ( with various messages : parkbrake fault , gearbox fault , restricted performance etc . ) simultaneously to the touchscreen that turns off intermittently , as if there was a decline of tensione.si is a problem drinker and not constant , moreover that is resolved by switching off and restarting the car ... waiting to take her to a workshop for diagnosis ( phone they told me that is probably due to a contact) I would like to know if any of you have had similar problems , which also occurred after that I decided to replace the bulbs for the side lights to lED ( extremely delicate as well as expensive ) with common bulbs .
Thanks to those who respond !!!

Good morning , I'm getting the gearbox fault on startup which clears when I switch the car off then on again. I have been advised that it could be the battery which throws up error faults when it starts to lose its efficiency.

Once started in the morning the problem doesn't come back until the next day. So I think the battery may be down on power when it's cold in the morning , maybe worth getting the battery tested.

Gary.

first of all thanks for the answer; yesterday, after the car for a couple of days made me mad, driven by doubts that it could be the fact that you have replaced the bulbs lights, I went to buy two LEDs (the ones that I mounted above) and since I fitted the problem no longer presented , at least to date. all those battery problems (I had to reset car radio code several times after turning off and on again the car without ever removing the battery!) were created from this???

Hi Simore, and welcome to the club.

S Types are very finicky concerning batteries, and having had to reset the radio code indicated that the battery could be not properly connected.

Try checking that out and look at the terminals of the battery.

Peter.

• Like 1

Following recent concern with my battery, and after discussion, I've instituted a regular weekly trickle charge regime for The Princess.

Not essential I suppose but I don't want to be taking any chances.

The problm is, with older cars you got a warning of low battery by virtue of the fact that the starter motor can't turn the engine over sufficiently fast.

Modern cars can't tolerate a voltage anywhere near that value so you get no warning until the gremlins begin.

thanks again to all of you for your contributions to my question !
Also yesterday the car had no problem , for the second day in a row everything worked perfectly , something that makes me believe that the problems we had earlier were really due to the bulbs of the sidelights replaced that sent me into a tailspin all the electronic system ... also because the battery is practically new ( changed last September ) and I have never given any warning start , always having your car regularly put in motion at the first attempt and without difficulty despite the cold . problems occurred exclusively during the march .
Happy New Year to all !!!

Mine threw a wobbly before christmas gearbox fault light, new battery fitted now sorted although sat nav playing up not showing postcode box option but as it's next to useless probably stick to my garmin....

Mine threw a wobbly before christmas gearbox fault light, new battery fitted now sorted although sat nav playing up not showing postcode box option but as it's next to useless probably stick to my garmin....

Hi Stuart,

Not quite sure what you mean by "next to useless". Mine is a 2006 car and the sat nav seems perfectly adequate.

Anyway, the lack of postcode option is usually down to a copied sat nav DVD disk although I have very occasionally heard of it with a genuine disk. I suspect it might be to do with the sat nav losing power before being shut down in good order.

The solution, I've found, is to remove the DVD disk, switch the ignition off then on again, wait until the sat nav tells you it doesn't have a disk, then re-insert the disk, switch the ignition off then on again, then leave it for a few minutes to re-orient itself.

This usually works first time but may need to be repeated once or twice :)

Sounds a bit of a faff but, if what I believe is correct, would only be needed if the battery was dis-connected without waiting a few minutes for the electronic to shut down properly.

Worth a try?

I too have a problem with the navigation system ... having recently purchased the used car that was devoid of the DVD , because the original had an excessive cost I purchased a DVD burned but when I tried to put it on the screen I appeared the words " the inserted disc is not dVD of maps " .
Jaguar in the workshop told me that the system only reads original DVD ...
you know if it is really so ? personally it seems strange ...

that it may be possible to clean the lens ?

My 2012/13 disc from SatNav updates has worked very well.

I could not check it against the original disc which I loaned to a member [who does not post anymore] to check out his SatNav as there was no disc in it when he bought it.

Sadly, he must have thought it was a non returnable loan, as he never sent it back.

Peter.

• 3 years later...

Welcome to the club, Gordon,

Short answer, Yes.

I sometimes get the same.  Batteries usually last about five years, and if you do a lot short runs they will need charging about once a fortnight.  It is surprising how much of the battery is used overnight when the car is sitting quietly n the garage or on the driveway.

Regards,

Peter.

What would you consider to be 'low voltage'? My battery comes back with 11.4v, and I've had the odd lurch, 'gearbox fault' and engine MIL (all whilst moving), which clear themselves after an immediate restart. My 'short' runs are 2 x 13 miles, three times a week, and all in London..

Hi Mark,

I have just run a check on my s type and it comes back with 14.5v to a high of 14.9v.  The battery is fully charged as I have not been using my car for the last 10 days due to a "Restricted Performance" message which is being dealt with on Tuesday with 2 new EGR valves.

Regards,

Peter.

• 1 year later...

Evening out there to all you S Type R owners,

I'm having some sort of a Mistry problem after the car starts up!

The problem that I'm getting is that the radio fails to come on along with the phone and CD!

I would appreciate if someone out there could tell me what's going on.

thanks, G

• 1 year later...

I was driving and the cables were not hooked up tight and they must have arced on something because speed odometer started moving back and forth when it arced now windows down roll up or down and radio doesn't work please help

Hi Loriann,

The battery should always be properly connected.  Also batteries on the s type last no longer than about 5 years, so if your battery is older I would recommend a new one, making sure it is a correct one.

Regards,

Peter.