S Type "SPORT 200" have done a bit of digging!

Claws

I spotted this one for sale on eBay which appears to be one of the 200's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/03-2003-Jaguar-S-TYPE-V6-auto-Sport-200-F-S-History-/191802655439?hash=item2ca85442cf:g:THUAAOSwUuFWucO8

It has the right front bumper and alloys but no badge ?

Looks very clean, BRG does look nice as well, there is also one underneath which is advertised as a sport 200 (apparently!) again without badges, and the front bumper doesn't look right.

I see a lot of the 2.5 V6 models advertised as a Sport (200) but I think this is referring to the approximate BHP of the engine but does cause confusion.

The facelift / S Type R front bumper and 18" split rim alloys are the main clues to the real ones.

I suppose some will have had the alloys replaced or sold and some standard Sports might have had accident repairs and had the front bumper replaced with the later one ?

Apologies Jon for late reply,

There are 2 engine sizes associated with the SPORT 200 (I just like typing that in caps ;) sadly I don't know what the other one is, it may well be the 2.5.! but as you say the BHP may be the confusing thing for owners / trade, I have looked at my Log book and it just uses the word 'Sport' not 'Sport 200'

In regard to visual identifiers, e.g. alloys / bumpers etc, again I think your quite right, owners for one reason or another may have changed things, but would you remove the badge that, technically identifies the car as a Limited edition? (unless you've had repairs done) but wouldn't you make sure you replace the badge? if you have purposely bought a car, because it has that nice sounding 'Limited Edition' twist to it, you'd surely want people to be aware? 

These aren't questions for you to answer Jon, just me thinking out loud!

I suppose as rule of thumb, if you can match the bumper / alloys / satnav / mesh grille / boot badge you may be looking at a SPORT 200 but of course not guaranteed. e.g. mine didn't have mesh grille or satnav, so clearly Denis's (X type Den) S type original owner, spent a few quid more than the original owner of mine.

I guess in reality, from what I have learned, you could effectively say its the Badge! that's a limited edition, the car just tags along because it got stuck to one, after they were made, and again as you mentioned in a previous post, all the options are / were available to any owner of an S Type.

So sadly wont be retiring to Monte Carlo anytime soon :cool2: but she still is a recognized and acknowledged 'SPORT 200 Limited Edition' :cheers: 

I have just ordered the Heritage Cert, i'll post on here, if its got anything other than the basic info like "Yes its a Jaguar!"

I think the 'missing' badges might just be as simple as some dealers didn't bother to stick them on when the cars arrived from Jaguar !

The bag of 'XS' ltd edition badges in my desk drawer being a prime example, we just thought that they looked 'naff' and never stuck them onto the cars.

I should sell them on eBay so that all the owners of the cars advertised on Autotrader (that are not XS's !) can buy a bit of credibility ?

We didn't sell the Sport 200 on the strength of it being a limited edition, just a nice spec Sport that offered good value compared to adding the options separately, some original owners probably didn't realise they had something unusual ?

So that's 6 so far, Simon's (sim Jag) Denis you have found 3 and of course our 2, on a separate note I do love the ivory leather, wish mine had it. And definitely seems to be the three choices of Colours are BRG / Black / Silver 

Jon

one thing I don't understand is, why were the badges not put on as part of the production run, but left to the dealers?

If you have a bag of badges left, you may as well sell them, however, if you have any sport 200 ones please destroy! We don't want anymore out there, it's clearly hard enough identifying legitimately described SPORT 200's :wallbash: 

Regards

Steve

Most of the 'ltd editions' that I have sold over the years come to the dealership without badges,

The XK 'Signature' and XKR 'Dynamic' run out models are the most recent.

I can only assume that the badges are not put on at the factory because the cars go through production as a standard (not limited edition) model but with the 'factory specified' extras added to the build sheet.

The spare XS badges may have already bitten the dust, can't remember having any Sport 200 ones hanging around though !

Hi All

little update, received the Heritage cert, they have discovered a couple of component numbers I didn't know, also they have identified the exact production date, a bit earlier than I though. As mentioned previously, info I have suggests May 2003 being the month of build, however, you will see, mine is April 29th, could it... just could it.... be 1 / 200 ?? there has to be a way of finding out, something on the car perhaps? a little plate / sticker or something?

Anyway attached is the cert, numbers removed obviously, you don't know who trolls around the web

Steve

Heritage certificate numbers removed.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jon

Would be really good to look at and admire the 'Twins'

But perhaps the mercenary side of me, saw two identical Limited Editions, same spec etc, as a potential financial opportunity?

Who knows, but I just can't afford double the costs keeping her on the road as well as mine. Shame, if I'd had a driveway I would have bought her.

S-Types in general are such good value !

I have just started my new job at Kentdale Jaguar in Kendal, but just before I left Bolton we took a 2000 4.0 SE in p/x with 62k miles, trade value was £750 !

I was sorely tempted to buy it just because it was so cheap but common sense prevailed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another one on eBay, in black with ivory leather.

Suspected head gasket failure but only £500 'buy it now' !

I am so tempted, it must be worth £500 for the alloys alone ?

Would need to pay for it to be transported but I have contacts who would do me a good deal.

15 hours ago, The Voices said:

Another one on Ebay, in black with ivory leather.

Suspected head gasket failure but only £500 'buy it now' !

I am so tempted, it must be worth £500 for the alloys alone ?

Would need to pay for it to be transported but I have contacts who would do me a good deal.

That car belongs to Denis, X-Type Den on this forum. Other than the engine problem, she is a beautiful car. Being a sport it would be a shame to break her if the engine could be fixed or replaced, but that's only my opinion having seen her up close.

So it is, I didn't know,

What a shame, could well be worth looking at fixing her, considering the condition and previous work done on her,