Old Mans car? Fact? or Fiction?

Claws

i bought my first Jag which is a S-Type just 3 months ago at the ripe age of 31, haha.

I hear 'so you're driving and old mans car now' especially from my older brothers who i just told to sit in it and give it a drive.... they soon shut up! i get it all the time and i just laugh them off with my walnut dash and full leather trim and how the chair goes back and the string well moves out of the way so i can get in and out easier! hahaha my eldest brother has an XF and we both think my S drives better.

• Like 1

I very young 42.5 1yr 6 months ago for my first ever jag.

Decided why work my way up the range, just get the best I could afford, so I did, My S-Type R had only 43,000 and was £6,000.

Still love it today even with all the whats that warning light on for jiggery pokery. :)

Added Caldoofy intake and Adamesh backboxes, sounds lovely

20150919_143826-1-1.jpg

The problem here Steve is that traditionally jaguars were an  expensive car to buy and so generally all you ever saw in them was older people who had finished paying the mortgage and so had money to spare and spend on a jag. I think this is where the older man image comes from. Now though, with the likes of the Jaguar XE starting at the mid 20k mark you will see more and more of a younger generation driving them. Also tell your friend to youtube F-type, F-type SVR, XF-RS, XE 3.0 v6 supercharger and soon to be seen XE 5.0 v8 supercharger, XKR and XKR-S. If your friend still sees them as old mens cars then theres no hope for any of us LOL.

You have hit the nail on the head numkelfutumch. wages = car. which is why I bought my 1999 S Type @ 75, If only I could have afforded it in youth what a life I would have had.

Wages are a very important issue.  Company cars are another one.  I had company cars for 30 years.  I had a Rover 420 - the boss had  a Rover sterling. When I retired I bought a Rover 825 sterling which I kept for 11 years.  Jaguars were not in the ascent in 1999 when I retired, but when the Rover Sterling wore out I went for the Jaguar.  I would have loved one 50 years ago!

Peter.

1 minute ago, Old Peter said:

Wages are a very important issue.  Company cars are another one.  I had company cars for 30 years.  I had a Rover 420 - the boss had  a Rover sterling. When I retired I bought a Rover 825 sterling which I kept for 11 years.  Jaguars were not in the ascent in 1999 when I retired, but when the Rover Sterling wore out I went for the Jaguar.  I would have loved one 50 years ago!

Peter.

In my, and Old Peter's case, it is a middle age man's car

Peter I did not mention company cars because I earned my living delivering them and the sterling

was a favourite of mine . I drove the cars one at a time.                                                                                                                      

1 hour ago, Diddler 1 said:

In my, and Old Peter's case, it is a middle age man's car

It's great being middle aged, Stan.  I am told that once you get past 80 you will live to be 100.  ---   At least so the pension actuaries say!

And  just an aside - Saga Pearl ll is sold out on May 21st, and almost sold out on the next trip to Norway!

I will give you a report in June.

Peter.

55 minutes ago, Old Peter said:

It's great being middle aged, Stan.  I am told that once you get past 80 you will live to be 100.  ---   At least so the pension actuaries say!

And  just an aside - Saga Pearl ll is sold out on May 21st, and almost sold out on the next trip to Norway!

I will give you a report in June.

Peter.

Thanks for that Peter . we go in July so that should come in handy.

I have had several Rover Sterlings the last one took 18 months to find sea mist in colour not a mark on it full service history and low mileage lasted me 3 months as a taxi decided to try driving through it rather than around it. Still be driving it other wise and would have missed out on my S Type such is life

Andie

Purchased my s type about 6 months ago for a steal at the age of 32. Have always wanted an S type R but due to redundancy about a year ago and most of my cash going back into restarting a business the type R's going to have to wait.

I thought the same about it being an old mans car to begin with, especially when my 54 year old dad calls it an old mans car and bought me a set of leather driving gloves and a flat cap as a joke.....He drives a Volvo XC60 the cheeky git. I think alot of it has to do with all the bling stuck around the windows and bumpers....does no good for my street cred :wheelchair:

Hey Mark, I know what you mean about the bling, that's why I went for the Sport, colour coded and a bit more purposeful looking. I'm pretty sure you could swap it out if you wanted, although some people must like it or they wouldn't put it on I guess ;)

33 for me. The image of a car doesn't really bother me, I can like most cars as long as they do something well. As for stereotypical old man cars I had a Rover 820 Vitesse (complete with added tartan rug and nodding dog) in my 20's and a Volvo 940 turbo estate (caravan club and national trust stickers) at 30. They both earned their keep as they were fast (once I'd tuned them) but the Jaguar is just all round, nice? I don't know, it just does most thing better and I like that. I've had it 10 days now and am just starting to feel like it's actually my car rather than one I've borrowed. It's quite surreal really. Very different to the Viva HC's I started off in, oh yeah I've still got one..

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, Llanelli-lad said:

Owned my first at 57 I`m on the second but the wife hates the registration which I think fits the car well 666

I've actually been eying up a 666 plate for my one..

First one in my early 50's so it looks like the old mans car remark was pretty accurate. I think the price of entry could be partially to blame. Arthur Daily (Minder) hasn't helped the image either, mind you my Jaaaag takes so long to slide stuff about, enable the various in car entertainment facilities that it can take over five seconds for the rear view camera to come on before its ready to move. That must mean it can no longer qualify to be a bank robbers quick get away car. 

Hey, leave Mr Clarkson out of this, his take the p**s Jag remarks are funny and surprisingly accurate - I'm always leaving my wallet at home!

First one in my early 50's so it looks like the old mans car remark was pretty accurate. I think the price of entry could be partially to blame. Arthur Daily (Minder) hasn't helped the image either, mind you my Jaaaag takes so long to slide stuff about, enable the various in car entertainment facilities that it can take over five seconds for the rear view camera to come on before its ready to move. That must mean it can no longer qualify to be a bank robbers quick get away car. 

Hey, leave Mr Clarkson out of this, his take the p**s Jag remarks are funny and surprisingly accurate - I'm always leaving my wallet at home!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have to say I was raised with the old XJ's, my dad always had them. So When I was 34 I got my first S-type and yes it had the wooden dash. Now I have a 2006 S-type with XS body kit and have to say shes beautiful. Im 39. 

On 13/02/2016 at 2:47 PM, JimC64 said:

Here's mine.........

3333333333_zpsdsd1crzx.jpg

These 20 year old guys in their A3's and Focus hot hatches etc get a nasty surprise from something that's the length of a mini bus ( old mans car ) that after remap can do 0-60 in just a little under 7secs and on to around 150mph, although it's not something I make a habit of, just now n then...lol

Bought her with approx 61k on the clock 2 years ago, now sitting at 93k and still going strong

Even the 2.d and 2.2d can move, pretty decent acceleration AND loads more mpg and smiles per gallon

How much did your insurance company load you for the re-map Jim?