Old Mans car? Fact? or Fiction?

Claws

Hi Chris

She looks very nice!

You may well have found yourself a 'Limited Edition' only 200 cars of the 'Sport 200' range where manufactured, your build date is most likely going to be May 2003 (possibly April, as was mine) my understanding is only 2 engine sizes were part of the production 2.5 & 3.0 and only three colours Platinum (Silver) Black and BRG the optional extras of course differ according to the requirements of the original owners. I don't see the Sport 200 badge on the boot, which may or may not mean anything! as I have learnt from the helpful guys here, that some dealers did or didn't put the badges on.

Have a look at this thread for some more detail and some pointers should you wish to research some more. just click on the thread title

Regards

Steve

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, Old Peter said:

Hi Chris,

I do believe you gave a special edition.

It looks in a very good condition.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter,

It generally is in good condition, however does need a few things sorting.

Already fixed a couple of things, one being missing front brake pad springs, resulting in rattling pads. However wheel nuts were seized on before I could even get to them, so required drilling and studs replacing.

Other issues will be queried on here in the coming months :). For the price I paid though, I'm happy.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:38 PM, Nightwing said:

@ McMilan - looks amazing. What is that colour...British racing green?

Enjoy!

Thanks, yeah British Racing Green or even Jaguar Racing Green I've read it being called? I think its pearlescent, changes colour in sunlight.

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:07 AM, Claws said:

Hi Chris

She looks very nice!

You may well have found yourself a 'Limited Edition' only 200 cars of the 'Sport 200' range where manufactured, your build date is most likely going to be May 2003 (possibly April, as was mine) my understanding is only 2 engine sizes were part of the production 2.5 & 3.0 and only three colours Platinum (Silver) Black and BRG the optional extras of course differ according to the requirements of the original owners. I don't see the Sport 200 badge on the boot, which may or may not mean anything! as I have learnt from the helpful guys here, that some dealers did or didn't put the badges on.

Have a look at this thread for some more detail and some pointers should you wish to research some more. just click on the thread title

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I'd heard about the Sport 200's before I bought the car and was surprised to see it on the V5.

However I'm not so sure. Are there any other distinguishing features the car should have?

Mine for example doesn't have steering wheel audio controls or cruise etc, or sat nav, or 18" wheels.

The ride is fairly firm suggesting it may have stiffer suspension. I've not heard any other 2.5v6's but the exhaust has a deepish noise inside the car when pushed (however I do fancy changing the back boxes for something a bit throatier).

I'm kind of thinking it's not a Sport 200 :(.

14 minutes ago, McMillan said:

Thanks, yeah British Racing Green or even Jaguar Racing Green I've read it being called? I think its pearlescent, changes colour in sunlight.

Pretty sure it's the same colour as mine which is Jaguar Racing Green which is a separate colour to BRG.  Check page 2 of this post for colour chart pics:

Hi Chris

Apologies for delayed response

Unfortunately there are no particular distinguishing features specific to the Sport 200, having said that I do believe the rear spoiler is common to the model. Some other items would be an indicator of it being a Limited Edition mesh grille, sports seats, sports suspension, rear spoiler and the Sport 200 badge, but does not guarantee it. Your front bumper looks pre-facelift (triangular Fog lights) mine is the first of a couple of facelifts at the front (the guys will correct me if I'm wrong) your suspension sounds like it could be the sport setup, the wheels are smaller than mine, but it could just be the original owners choice, also yours is sounding like the basic spec, which mine is too, I don't have satnav / memory seat / lumbar adjustment / heated seats and so on, but I do have the Ski bag! which will come in handy when I'm down my caravan on the Piste! :cheers: 

I think the simplest way to confirm what you have is drop the Jaguar heritage guys a quick e-mail, there is also a quick way of getting your build spec which may also be the Heritage guys or jag-landrover support if memory serves there may be a links to both parties in my original post

Please let us know how you get on

Regards

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, kpt said:

56. Bought 2 days ago.

Welcome to the Club, Steve.

As you say,  age is just a number.  I enjoy my S Type and son't consider myself old, as I am only just 82.

Regards,

Peter.P1000956.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I did a little update back in June, in regard to the average age of Jaguar owners when they 'first' became an owner. There have been quite a few new members since, and I'd love to capture some more numbers. So any more voluntary contributions would be gratefully received, and apart from that, it's nice to see some pics, and read your stories and memories.

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Jaguar, an old man's car?

An XK150 caught my eye when I was still at school then, in my teens, the gorgeous Jaguar E-Type became my fantasy motor. By sheer coincidence and much to my amazement, in my first ‘proper’ job my boss allowed me to drive his XK150 back from the Jaguar showroom when he collected his new E-Type. Some time after that I did get to drive the E Type and, much to my chagrin,  discovered it would never be the ‘perfect’ car for me, my legs were a little too long for a comfortable drive over any distance.

Still in my thirties, a business associate in California loaned me his V12 XJS for a long weekend when I drove the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to San Diego and back. That cemented me desire for a Jaguar.

Although real life got in the way over the next few decades I finally bought my S Type (4.2 V8) a few years ago and have never regretted it.

An old man’s car? Who knows, but if my experiences are anything to go by, I’ve been an old man all my life!

DSCF8926 copy 22.42.24.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Personally i think that the average age of a jag owner is probably 40+ for various reasons . As a more mature driver at 48 iv'e had many many cars over the years and my taste in cars has matured like a fine wine . The youngsters are more interested in hot hatches etc with the odd exception of course . As for the larger engined jags , the running costs probably put a lot of young people off  . I think certain ages go for certain cars . For example how often do you see a 50+ person driving a hot hatch ? I am proud to own my jag and i don't class myself as old .