Looking for x-type

Liam2016

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy an X-type - specifically a diesel saloon. Working from home I don't drive all that much but when I do its long distance and quite a lot in a short space of time, and decent mpg is a factor…

Not so fussed between 2.0 or 2.2, but can anyone give any hints whether the automatic gearbox is reliable, or a potential hazard? Or if the manual on a diesel is a bit of a grind in low gears, would an auto be better…?

Also, I've heard that 57 plate or after were significantly face-lifted and are a more prudent buy, even if more expensive for similar mileage…?

While full service history and good paperwork go without saying, if anyone can suggest a rough ballpark figure as to what I should be spending on one of these models (hopefully under 90,000 miles) I'd be grateful. I am amazed that something as gorgeous as an x-type is so competitively priced in comparison to 3 series and such like, and want to make sure I'm not looking at something 'too good to be true'...

Would be so grateful for any help!

Best wishes to everyone,

Nathan

Hi Nathan, and welcome to the club.

My son has just bought an X Type Sport 2.0 litre diesel with a manual gearbox and with 91k on the clock on an 06 plate.  He has no problem at all with the gearbox and gets a very good mpg.  This engine is the well tested and very economical Ford Duratorq engine.  The only mark on the bodywork was a stone chip on the bonnet which will take me an hour to repair to a good standard. The car was immaculate in all other respects. Price - £3350.

Apparently the 2.0 litre diesel does not require a DPF as it meets Euro4 emissions without one.

Many people think a Jaguar is expensive to run, but there are many good garages who will do the same job as a main dealer at half the cost.

You will be able to buy a good X Type SE saloon for under £5000.

Regards,

Peter.

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your welcome and very helpful advice!

Can you or other users give me any lowdown on the difference between x-type Sport, S and SE models? I've seen the equipment specs online, and know the suspension in the sport is stiffer... I'm not too fussed about satnav or similar - but if you have first hand experience of the differences in the drive or layout that would be great to hear.

Thanks so much and best wishes,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I have owned a 2.0d sport estate and now own a 2.5v6 awd se saloon. The Sport is slightly firmer ride compared to the se but not to the extent of uncomfortable German marques (which I've also driven) I far prefer the awd as I personally think it's a far better handling and planted car on the road (I'm not really bothered about fuel economy) I posted another thread with a PDFs of the X type brochure 2005 model year that lists equipment levels and trims at that time, so you can see the difference between levels.

I think you need to have a look at a few cars close up and test drive as equipment levels and handling are a personal thing in my opinion. 

I've had Mercedes, Audi and BMW company cars over many years with my last one being a 15 plate A6 Avant and I can quite honestly say the Xtype I have now beats them all hands down as a complete and satisfying drive (Jags have soul) , but again, that's just my opinion and the next guy might have a completely different view point.

just let me know if you have any particular questions re my X type experiences and I will do my best to answer them.

regards

Andrew

Hi Nathan,

The SE is the top of the range for standard fittings and trim, but the number of optional extras that can be factory fitted is quite a lot.

While the standard fittings are still rather good on the SE [I used to have a 2.5 SE AWD as Andrew's car] the optional extras did not include SatNav/touchscreen or blue tooth, though it did include headlamp washers, and leather/wood steering wheel.

My s type is an SE with over £11,100 worth of optional extras.  It is well worth looking out for the list of extras fitted to the car you are getting.

All the x types do drive well, and as Andrew says, the AWD petrol versions hold the road very well.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks very much both for these posts and for your advice.

I also used to drive BMWs too, which I liked, but I agree Jags are just something else… 

Very helpful to have a brochure while scouting around so thanks for that. As you say, its the individual car specs which will make all the difference...

One other question is that I've heard the headlights are not the brightest on the x-type - it is possible to upgrade the bulbs these days (either DIY or in garage?)

I'm also curious if there is any particular work/issues which would likely have needed resolving on an x-type diesel that has done over, say, 80,000 miles… You know how old hands get used to looking for certain niggles on certain cars...

Thanks folks.

Best wishes,

Nathan

Nathan, just for info, I did 200k in my Sport 2.0d, kept it serviced on the dot, went through rear bushes and bearings every 50k and needed a new air con system at 160 k but apart from the usual ancillaries as you would expect, it was a great car and very reliable. Agree with Peter, if light lens are a bit dull, you can upgrade bulbs with something like a Osram night breaker and give them an external refurb. See link

Thanks Andrew. This is all great.

Just another quick question - would you say FSH from a Jag dealer is preferable, or are the cars easy to keep in good order? One just never knows who they might have been serviced by, and the jag stamp at least is a sign of care and attention (I guess…?)

Thanks again for all this. As soon as my car is sold, I'm shopping!

For sure, a Jaguar fsh is preferable, but usually, you would find Jaguar will have serviced the vehicle whilst it is under warrantee from new, then it could have an independent garage fsh there after, a full fsh either way is a must (inc bills if poss to check what's been done in its life), I have an independent local garage up the road that I use who are very reliable and only use OEM parts thus continuity of reliability post service, never had a problem in 7 years, don't forget MOT's are a good way of checking advisories/pass/fails throughout its life, so need to see these too.

Safe and happy shopping

I love my Jag. I've had V8, and I6 Bimmers, and a supercharged SLK Merc as my 'luxury' sector motors. Very nice indeed and i still like them but i love my Jaguar. It's in a different league altogether. I feel very special driving it and it always gets lots of nice comments. On the subject of service history i agree that OEM is not the be all and end all.

When i was looking for my cat i wanted the 2.5 awd petrol, manual but a 2.0 came up and ticked all the boxes i required (rigidly), and so i brought it on: condition, fsh, sensible mileage, then the petrol and manual criteria as these were non negotiable wants for me.

Take your time, there are loads out there and go try a few. You'll get a better idea of what to look for. Good luck and show us your lovely new cat once you have got it.

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for your posts. Definitely agree with much of what you say. I am not a main dealer junkie - a while back I had an old BMW always serviced by main dealer (purely because I thought these things were important) and then they told me to scrap it (!) so I took it to the local garage who services my wife's car just on a whim - result: good as new! I guess my point was in buying 2nd hand, a Jag-serviced car at least indicates some sort of quality control - and likely a careful and conscientious owner - but no, not the be all...

Of course some independent garages are brilliant (and I would now trust any 'regular' car with mine after the bimmer fiasco) but some are, sadly, not… But I would still look for a lot of paperwork and all MOTs and lists of work done over a FMDSH...

Here are my criteria - bearing in mind history, condition, work done, and milage/age always trump trim/colour and specific engine size.

Saloon - diesel - manual - 2.0/2.2 are both fine for me. I'd love a V6 but the MPG of a diesel would save me conservative estimate of £750+ per annum on fuel, which is just too much for me to ignore… I mainly drive long journeys anyway.

Prefer a facelift model - which I think is 58 plate or more recent…? (If anyone can confirm that, and whether these are more solid cars, as I have heard, I'd appreciate it...) Otherwise under 10 years old unless it was a truly amazing example…

Milage under 90k if possible, and absolute max 100k.

SE/sovereign would of course be great, but again not a priority. There isn't anything on an S I would really miss. (OK an absolute deal breaker is NOT red leather, which I saw recently - it actually made me feel quite queasy!!)

That all said, if the best looked after/serviced model was a higher spec one, I would be prepared to pay for that too.

If it was a car with new clutch/flywheel that would certainly catch my attention. And general good work/MOTs as already mentioned etc.

Budget is 5k - preferably nearer £4k, although will not scrimp on car history and condition.

Any thoughts? and if anyone can confirm about the facelift models and whether these make a difference to potential longevity, I'd be grateful.

Thanks all.

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

It is always best to buy a car near to the end of its production run, as all the issues have been ironed out by then.  In some cars, too, there are more bells and whistles fitted.

Having said that, you can come across an immaculate and well cared for car that has had one or two owners which would be a good buy.

I have mostly bought cars from a main dealer, but usually not serviced by a main dealer, and would say that a main dealer will usually give a good warranty.

When you find a good car you can also research the dealer.  When I found my son's X type n November, I researched comments about the dealer and found nothing untoward.

Another thing to remember is that  you are a member on an International club with members all over the world as well as the UK  and should  you find one  a for distance away, a member local to that will have a look at it for you and give you a report  [plus photographs if possible] on its condition, so you can see if it is worth the journey to see it.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for this Peter, very sensible advice and yes have always checked out dealers/servicing people etc online - so easy to do these days.

As for the possibility of members looking at cars, that is a fantastic offer and something I may well take up! Where would I post for that - just here or is there a more specific forum? 

Many thanks,

Nathan

If you can get the Vin Number and check it out and you will find out what extras have been added to the Car when New, but be careful as some x type's were Registered wrongly either by Jaguar or the DVLA. As some Models were sold as Sovereign but were Actually SE Models, I'm on my third x type the first was a 2005 model 2-0 litre diesel se which has a 5 Speed Gearbox in 4years only needed to replace a split turbo hose,then bought a 2008 2-2litre S ( basic model ) with the 6 Speed Auto Gearbox first car with an Auto I had driven and really enjoyed the 2-2 engine with the Auto Gearbox had it for 2years , sold it thinking I would wait for the XE. But being without a car for 6 weeks I decided I would need to get another car had a test drive in a bmw 3 series, audi a4, Mondeo, and a focus a didn't like any of them, so bought a 2009 x type 2-2 auto sovereign with 12,300 miles. 

There are plenty of x type's for sale and when you buy one change all filters and engine Oil and then you will be satisfied with the condition of the engine, i prefer the 2-2litre with the Auto Gearbox.

Regards Tom.

• 3 weeks later...

On 19 February 2016 at 2:09 AM, JimC64 said:
On 20 February 2016 at 5:56 PM, Trooper2142 said:

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for your latest posts and advice. Really sorry not to have replied before, I usually get an email to say there had been another post on this thread but that didn't happen for some reason, and have been a bit distracted with a new addition to the family only a few weeks ago…! :) 

Back at my desk now and getting back on the case for the new cat...

Jim - that is a lot of car you got there for 3k - Nice work…! If you see anything you think is a similar bargain please don't hesitate to let me know…! You pretty much were spot on with your summary of what I am looking for - although service history and good care of the car are very important.

Life has been pretty busy on all fronts so the new car took a back seat but looking to check out a few cars in the coming few weeks and really looking forward to that. As before I am in no hurry, this is a pleasure car upgrade for me rather than a quick search and jumping on the motorway.

Will keep in touch and be post here if I find anything which members might be able to advise me on, or maybe to see if anyone wants to come and look at a few cars in the southeast sometime.

Best to all!

Nathan

Thanks! One other thing has come to my attention, and I've seen people post about it in relation to the S-type diesels, and that is a DPF on more recent models - from what I gather, some X-type Ds have it and some don't but does anyone know if there are some engines/plates onwards which definitely do?

I saw Peter had posted in another thread about identifying an S-type with/without a DPF by the shape of the exhaust - does the same apply to an X-type? I can see in buying a second hand car it is the sort of thing a dealer/owner might not know and it does make a difference.

I've also heard about some people removing the DPF as they lead to problems - but that MOT's now prevent this. But I assume the MOT requires a DPF only if it was on the car in the first place, and presumably it doesn't mean that ALL cars now have to be retro-fitted with one…?

If two cars were all the same but one had DPF and one didn't, would members strongly advise one way or the other?

Thanks and best wishes,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

My son has has a 2.0 litre diesel X Type not it has not got a DPF. [06 plate]

My S type [07 plate] has a DPF  and I have never had a jot of trouble in spite of I do mostly short journeys. I have had the car for almost three years.

Most of the stories you hear about the DPF are apocryphal and could be better disregarded.

Buy a car with theist specification you can get and if it is nice and clean, no dents, and a good service history, you are likely to get a good car.

Regards

Peter.

Thanks Peter - this is very helpful. Obviously opinions differ slightly but it seems the best thing is to go for the most recent model and if the DPF is there, just be aware of it and treat it accordingly. That's very reassuring as I would like to buy the most recent car I can afford, which is therefore more likely to have a DPF… (Incidentally, I got chatting to a chap who I happened to pass while he was cleaning an x-type V6 on a street corner the other day whose main advice was to buy the most recent car affordable...)

Just out of interest, do you know if X-type exhausts have a different shape when DPF is fitted (like the S-type does…?) Would be a helpful thing to be able to clarify in viewing...

Thanks so much for your help.

Nathan

If you get an x type with a DPF, you have to use a Low Ash C1 Oil ( Ford Jaguar WSS-M2C 934-B) i use Shell Helix Ultra AFL 5/30 C1 with the 934-B number and fill up with 5.5 litres of Oil instead of 6 litres and use Genuine Jaguar filters and Check the Oil Level frequently if you do a lot of short journeys,and if you do take it for a good run once engine is at running tempture (ie 30 mins at above 50 mph about every 2 or 3 weeks) and Diesels are ment to be Driven don't keep driving with the Revs below 2000 as some say give it an Italian Tuning. And these engines have a Timing Chain and not a Timing Belt which is a good. I've had mine for 3 years now with the DPF and never have had a warning light come on yet touch wood. They're great car's and go for the 2.2 litre.

Regards Tom

Hi Nathan,

Tom has given you some sound advice.  Now and then I press the S button on the Auto gearbox, and sometime I put the gearbox into 4th gear to give the engine a good blast.

Add to that, as Tom has said, use the best oils and  Jaguar filters cost about a penny more than others --  and you can buy them cheaply from many sources.  I always use Shell V power rather than the cheaper version, as I get a better mpg.

Engines are quite varied on the x type. The two diesel engines used are the 2.0 litre Diesel, which is the Ford Duratorq and a good workhorse, and the 2.2 Litre Diesel is still being used by Jaguar in the XF.  I am afraid I don't know much about the exhausts on the X Type.

I used to work with a chap who used to change his car every three years, and he always used to get one either at the end of its production run, and sometimes after a new model came out. So get as late a model as you can with best spec, and try for the SE model.

Keep on looking and you will get the car you want.

Regards,

Peter.