S Type locks itself!!!

Riograndad

Hi everyone,Ihave a problem with my 2000 s 3.0 auto,,,it was fine until yesterday,it seems that it wont unlock on the fob but the alarm will set and disarm,it will unlock on the key but if the door is closed the doors lock again,also when its locked the system "bounces"about 4 times,doesnt "click" once,,,,and does the same on drive off ,no errors up and once in the car it starts ok,any ideas?something sticking in the door mechanism or does it need the battery taken off for a reboot?etc, only had the car for 2 weeks,my first Jaguar so all new to me,any help would be apprieciated, thanks in anticipation,,,Neil.

Hi Neil,

Electrical foibles usually start with the battery.  I would put it on charge until fully charged, and then disconnect it for 5 minutes [with the ignition off and the radio code written down] and the ECU should reboot.  Then reconnect it.  You will have to reset the one touch windows etc.

Fingers crossed that it is solved.

Peter.

Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum, I had similar (I think) issues with mine on purchase, and once more or less found myself locked in the car and considering having to climb out! Advice at the time was to remove the door cards and lube everything up, which I was reticent to do as I've done this before on other cars and it's easy to break clips and such. After advice from Paul (Raistlin) about this, this is something I'm going to schedule in properly, but when armed with a full day, spare trim clips, trim removal tools, spray waxoly and everything I need to make my mirrors retract automatically on locking the vehicle. 

Mine sorted itself out after I had my key fobs refurbished and started using the car regularly. So if you haven't already, get yourself a spare key fob, and ensure your fobs have good batteries and switches. You can also have the speed locking switched off by a dealer or independent. There are other posts about this which may help, and if your battery is in anything other than good nick, consider changing this as a matter of course.

Hope this helps :wink:

Cheers, Russ

Thanks for your replies,very helpful and good places to start..............I may seem thick and be asking a daft question,,but,,when the battery is reconnected,how do you program the alarm/locking system,is it automatic or do you lock the car ,press the fob or something like,last thing i want is the alarm to start sounding in the street and not being able to silence it!!!,,,one of those things that once you`ve done it ,,,its easy the second time,thanks again,,Neil.

Thanks for the tip....at least I won`t fall out with the neighbours !!!! Just an update,I tried it again last night,only once as was raining,it appears that the BACK doors/boot  open as should do on the fob,no movement  on the front doors,but on recollection when first got the car home and took SWMBO for a run out she had problem opening the passenger door,fiddled with the locks and got her out,(black finger pull above door handle)so these I think need some investigation,If all goes well I`m going for a battery disconnect tomorrow morning,,,,wish me luck,,thanks again for the tip on the alarm,,Neil.

hello all,,,I`ve been messing around with this problem again today for a few hours and a little further on so hopefully someone out there has experienced the same and can pass on a few pointers,so here goes,,,,,,,,the problem appears to be centered around the passengers black plastic toggle lock,,,with the toggle pushed in the drivers door will only open with the key,if the door closes will lock again and the passenger door does`t open,,,,,,now,go in with the key,now either open the windows or reach over and open the toggle (pull it out) and presto the passenger AND drivers door open normally on the handle,both inside and outside,(windows can be open or closed once toggle is out)but the alarm/locking system won`t set unless toggle in ..........when alarm is armed/disarmed,back doors and boot/trunk open /close ok,when drive off auto lock triggers in,the doors "click" twice,before problem was only once,(as should do??),,starts and runs fine.Couple of other things may have some bearing,this all happened the other morning with thick frost and minus five(something froze n broke?)was fine before that,,mirror/window work fine,not auto fold backs, when passenger window part or fully open and door is closed the insides"rattle" as if something loose,the window itself is tight fitting with no play,appears to be ok,so before i go in and take the door panel off with me gown n forcepts,any thoughts about what i may be looking for,any help appriectiated,thanks in advance,,Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem and I think it's the front passenger door lock actuator on the blink.  Shouldn't be too hard to fit a new one although I haven't yet done it! but they are not cheap ($375 here in Australia - about ₤180) The hard part is getting the inner door handle trim off and back on, which I have done a couple of times, but it's not easy.    Does anyone have the secret to doing this?   and any other tips for replacing the actuator?

Not been around much so late post reply,,,,,actually cut my loses n fitted a new battery(old one died completly) but the door problem still there so will have to find some replacement bits to put in,think possibly used items,30-40 quid,cheap enough,tyres and front brakes sorted too so really only door problem to sort out now,oh and  i think a fault on the Oil pressure switch/wiring as appears to work sometimes and sometimes it does`nt ,no light when ignition switched on one day then next day its ok,she don`t like cold weather,bless her,,,,,and I`m with Robin above,any tips for the activator/lock removal would go down well,thanks in advance,,,,,Neil.

• 1 month later...

I got a used Lock/Actuator from a wrecker and fitted it myself.  Total cost including courier to bring the part to me $120 versus quoted total cost if Jag dealer did the job of $800+ (admittedly this was for a new part but it wouldn't work any better then the used one).

It's not an easy job because there's not much room in the door but I managed it ok.  The hardest parts are:-

a) removing the plastic trim around the inner door handle. I found the best way was to loosen the door trim all round and then pull it off the handle trim by tipping the door trim forward slightly.  Once the door trim is off it's not too bad removing the handle trim.

b) Unclipping the lower end of the outer handle rod ( a green plastic thing)  I made up a tool out of flat metal strip with a "V" cut in the end about 10mm wide and deep, bent at 90 deg about 1.5 cm from the end and using that to push in the two sprung retainers top and bottom of the clip.

c) unclipping the plastic support which is hung just below the outer door handle on two double-ended rubber grommetty things.  I removed the top end first and then once the torx screws holding the lock in place are undone you can turn the lock a bit to get at the bottom end of this plastic support.  I used a tapered pin punch to unclip this but there's probably a better way.

Then unclip the cable from the inner handle, unclip the electrical wiring from the actuator - the holding clip is underneath.

Once all these bits are undone you can turn the lock/actuator around and remove it.

Replacement  is the reverse.  Again I found the hardest part was the inner handle trim.

• Like 1