Looking to buy X-Type - need some advice

vulterey

Good evening to all members, 

I am about to join your team of happy users of this amazing car. 

But before I will do it,  I will need some help from you. 

I was looking to buy an x-type with less than 60000 miles on the clock,  but unfortunately when I checked insurance costs for me,  it shows that my budget is too low :( as I am trying to pay off insurance annually,  but as this will be my first car in UK, an insurance will cost me a lot. I cannot use any NCB as my last car I owned, was sold many years ago.

So I have few questions about X-Types:

1. Is 60000 is kind of magic point after this car will need a lot of costly maintenance jobs? 

2. Can I buy newer car,  let say from 2006/2007 with 75000 which is cheaper or should I go for 2004/2004 model with 58000 miles?

This is my first few concerns, I will be grateful for some advice from more experienced users. 

Cheers 

Adam 

7 hours ago, vulterey said:

Good evening to all members, 

I am about to join your team of happy users of this amazing car. 

But before I will do it,  I will need some help from you. 

I was looking to buy an x-type with less than 60000 miles on the clock,  but unfortunately when I checked insurance costs for me,  it shows that my budget is too low :( as I am trying to pay off insurance annually,  but as this will be my first car in UK, an insurance will cost me a lot. I cannot use any NCB as my last car I owned, was sold many years ago.

So I have few questions about X-Types:

1. Is 60000 is kind of magic point after this car will need a lot of costly maintenance jobs? 

2. Can I buy newer car,  let say from 2006/2007 with 75000 which is cheaper or should I go for 2004/2004 model with 58000 miles?

This is my first few concerns, I will be grateful for some advice from more experienced users. 

Cheers 

Adam 

Hi Adam

1st if your getting quotes on line? Your dealing with a machine! That decides the cost on the information you supplied? So I would advise either visiting a broker or to telephone one.

Insurance is not calculated on the mileage* the purchased car has already travelled? But on your supplied estimate of your yearly mileage? Market value* of the car? Your employment and associated insurance risks of that employment? Is the car used to travel to and from or involved in carrying goods related to your employment or just used for social, domestic and pleasure use? Where the car is kept day times and over night plus the risk in relation to the post code? Your ages plus how long you or any additional drivers have held a full UK licence? Has any drivers any unspent points on there licence? Do any drivers have criminal record or pending conviction motor related or not?

Market value* is based on set valuations of the cars year? model? and mileage travelled when purchased? So for instance you pay £6000 for a car that's done 100k its market value may be only £3000 for a insurance valuation in a total loss claim, Where's the same year and model that's only covered 20k its insurance valuation would be much higher but not valued at your £6000 purchase price but at what you could be expected to purchase a replacement car of at least the condition of the one its replacing.

As for purchasing a car only you can decide what your willing to pay? And where to buy from? Private is not always the best route if inexperienced as old Jaguars can quickly become a money pit.

Hi Adam, and welcome to the club

Paul has given you some very sound advice which you should follow.

Where you live, your age, and your occupation are big factors in the cost of insurance.

I currently pay about £520 per annum with Swift Cover, but if I lived in a quiet village in Dorset it would be half as much.  I do about 6500 miles a year, but if I did about 10k it would go up by £50, and where it is kept his also a criterion.

Swift Cover give me a 12.5% discount for using a Nextbase Dash cam, so that is also worth thinking about.

Regards,

Peter.

2 hours ago, Old Peter said:

Hi Adam, and welcome to the club

Paul has given you some very sound advice which you should follow.

Where you live, your age, and your occupation are big factors in the cost of insurance.

I currently pay about £520 per annum with Swift Cover, but if I lived in a quiet village in Dorset it would be half as much.  I do about 6500 miles a year, but if I did about 10k it would go up by £50, and where it is kept his also a criterion.

Swift Cover give me a 12.5% discount for using a Nextbase Dash cam, so that is also worth thinking about.

Regards,

Peter.

Damn think I would :crybaby: cry at paying £520! I'm only a poor retired train driver so any donations :helpsmilie:to purchase a 5.0 Sportbrake would be gratefully received:nopity:

I'm with Privilege full comp for me and the wife is £194.91 per year with a 5000mile limit, And no points :angel_not: Plus its a good excuse to drive the wife's car as hers is faster :thumbup: than the Jag:mad:

I also have a dash cam (no discount given) and the cars are parked on the drive as the garage is full of junk + an old A40:rip:

001.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

Good morning gentleman, 

Thank you very much for your help so far. I definitely will contact insurance company by phone to get better price as for now minimum I get is 1400 :( Well first time is always hard :) 

About dashcam,  I was about to fit it anyway just for peace of mind. 

Let's move on to details now. I've got few cars on my list and I would be more than grateful for your opinion about them:

1. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601109961269/sort/priceasc/postcode/b202nu/radius/1500/make/jaguar/model/x-type/price-from/2500/price-to/4000/page/1/usedcars

Pros: new and black :) 

Cons: mileage and road tax

2. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602281469622/sort/priceasc/postcode/b202nu/radius/1500/make/jaguar/model/x-type/price-from/2500/price-to/4000/page/1/usedcars

Pros and cons like above

3. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603031600272/sort/datedesc/postcode/b202nu/radius/1500/make/jaguar/model/x-type/price-from/2500/price-to/4000/page/1/usedcars

Pros and cons like above

4. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603021567174/sort/datedesc/postcode/b202nu/radius/1500/make/jaguar/model/x-type/price-from/2500/price-to/4000/page/1/usedcars

Pros: low mileage

Cons: age and colour,  but I can live with it :) 

5. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510057520489/sort/priceasc/postcode/b202nu/radius/1500/make/jaguar/model/x-type/price-from/2500/price-to/4000/page/1/usedcars

Pros: acceptable mileage and good price 

Cons: colour but I can live with it 

This is my favourite so far. 

Any comments are welcome gentleman. 

Thank you in advance. 

Hi Adam,

Road fund license is a big difference after they changed it.  I noticed that all cars were the 2.5 litre AWD, one of which I had. Great Car!

The two latter ones did catch my eye and the low mileage and probably a good service history would be a plus.

However, the last one does look rather good, and the automatic gearbox can also  be advantageous.

The low mileage on Number 4 does attract me, though!

The dove grey leather is also rather nice - I have it on my S type.

Let us know what you go for.

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First, I am sorry for not giving any sign of life. After my 'Art director in skirt' ;) hasn't approved blue colour of the car and grey leather interior quote: ' I don't want to sit in the shark leather interior' ;)  I've decided to wait a bit. And after literally 2 days my patient got awarded with this classic beauty. The sweet spot of my dream about Jag, racing green and cream leather interior. OMG, why no one hasn't told me that to drive it is like to be in heaven ! :)))

Anyway, thank you very much, gentleman, for your advice. Now I prepared a list of things I wish/need to do tweak.

1. I was thinking to add electric folded mirrors, but after I checked today how much they folding manually, I am not so convicted anymore is it worth to do so much effort. 

2. Reverse parking aid - must have I bearly see where I am going when I am reversing - bit danger. Is this kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301885154385?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT is any good and does its job ?

3. Before I bought this beauty I though to change cd player for after market one like this one http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products-personal/audio/CZ703E/hilight/index.html#Fm-1Anchor, but seems that I need to go for double din one like this one http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products-personal/audio/CX501E/index.html. I am still in doubds as I don't want to ruin view of this classic console, from the other side temptation to have music from my own mobile and possibility to change tracks etc through steering wheel buttons is still quite strong so I am still in doubts.

Cheers 

Adam

Jaaag-web.jpg

Hi Adam, 

My son has an X type without a CD interchanger and for £15.99 I got him a little widget that allows him to play his music.  Another club member put me on to this, and my son also says that is brilliant.  Bluetooth Transmitter -- Anglink.

The reverse sensors are very useful, and am surprised that they were not fitted on your car.  I am afraid I don't know anything about the kit on the link.

I hope you enjoy your Jaguar.

Regards, 

Peter.

Hi Peter, thanks for quick answer. I checked this transmitter, but I am looking for something with a better quality of signal FM transmitters are not too god in this matter, but I've got CD changer so I will give it a go and maybe I will stick to it.

Reversing kit looks like it is genuine Jaguar parts, I will have a look around forum maybe someone fit it before in his car. 

Adam

Hi Adam,

My Jaguar knowledge is limited compared to Old Peter but Ive really enjoying the passed 16 months of my X type ownership.  That said I too am surprised that you dont have rear parking assist as standard (I thought only front parking assist was optional).  Your photo looks to be of an SE with cayman 17 forged alloys maybe around 2005/6?  Electric retracting rear view mirrors I also thought to be standard for that vehicle.  Photos of the rear and of your drivers armrest controls would help determine your standard fits.  Enjoy the Jagfun.

Best,

Rowley

3 hours ago, Rowley_1812 said:

Hi Adam,

My Jaguar knowledge is limited compared to Old Peter but Ive really enjoying the passed 16 months of my X type ownership.  That said I too am surprised that you dont have rear parking assist as standard (I thought only front parking assist was optional).  Your photo looks to be of an SE with cayman 17 forged alloys maybe around 2005/6?  Electric retracting rear view mirrors I also thought to be standard for that vehicle.  Photos of the rear and of your drivers armrest controls would help determine your standard fits.  Enjoy the Jagfun.

Best,

Rowley

Hi Rowley,

Below are photos of the back of my car, armrest and socket I found in the booth which seems like the socket to plug in parking aid into it.

back.jpg

port.jpg

port2.jpg

armrest.jpg

Good pics Adam.  Showing all the signs of being a 2.5SE which, according to my equipment list, shows rear parking assist as standard but power foldback mirrors only as optional.  As for the wiring at your fingertips I'm not your man for that stuff I'm afraid, however interesting it looks!  Let's hope an expert sees your post and can help out.

Have a Happy Easter, Rowley

8 hours ago, Rowley_1812 said:

Good pics Adam.  Showing all the signs of being a 2.5SE which, according to my equipment list, shows rear parking assist as standard but power foldback mirrors only as optional.  As for the wiring at your fingertips I'm not your man for that stuff I'm afraid, however interesting it looks!  Let's hope an expert sees your post and can help out.

Have a Happy Easter, Rowley

Hi Rowley,

Thank you for your help.

Happy Easter for you,

Adam