Gearbox transmission oil change

ian6

Cars done 95000 mls so decided to have the job done after reading many, many reports and arguments for and against, and i can say the difference was instantly nnoticable, gear changes smoother, the lurch characteristic less defined and the car appears to be less straining both on engine and driver. On the technicians advice (30 yrs experience) on auto boxes went for dexron 6 Oil, an Oil he uses on his brace of cats and up to now all seems well but time will tell.  The discarded Oil was still a lovely golden colour even after the milage covered.One satisfied customer

Picture_000003.jpg

20160316_111508.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning Jim, ended up going to TamesideTransmissions. Manchester  and the price quoted last week was £350, however after a bit of discussion managed to get the job done for £260, think it helped the technician was the proud owner of a 2 year old XK, thought you would have posed the question why Dexron 6? By now

After talking to the technician at some length over the last couple of weeks i based my decision on his experience and the fact he uses the same product on his own vehicle and the other prestigious vehicles that use the same ZF gearbox,i did initially insist he use the ZF Oil but after viewing a ZF company infomercial Dexron is one of their recommended lubricants, so 2 against 1. No contest. Been out in the old girl this morning and its changing up at 2000 revs with a light foot, going to give it a week or two  before any serious lead foot action.

Hi

I changed my own auto box Oil myself, on my s-type R, zf 6HP26

I bought a kit, genuine zf kit, £197, for that you get 7 litres of zf lifeguard 6, 1 genuine sump filter, set of new sump pins and the mechatronics connector sleeve.

was not that bad of a job to do, but you do need to have your car well supported in the air, for a good while with it running while you fill the box up and then you have to wait till it gets up to temp, before doing the last full check.

personally I dont recommend mixing Oil and I would stick with zf lifeguard only, because when you change the box Oil, you can only get about 6 and half litres of oil back out and the box holds 10 litres, so thats means your mixing 6 and half litres on new clean oil with 3 and half litres of original zf oil

so if your changing to a different manufacturer of oil, your mixing them, which is never recommended by any garage

mixing oils is usually a no no

cheers

Joe

13 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

I changed my own auto box oil myself, on my s-type R, zf 6HP26

I bought a kit, genuine zf kit, £197, for that you get 7 litres of zf lifeguard 6, 1 genuine sump filter, set of new sump pins and the mechatronics connector sleeve.

was not that bad of a job to do, but you do need to have your car well supported in the air, for a good while with it running while you fill the box up and then you have to wait till it gets up to temp, before doing the last full check.

personally I dont recommend mixing oil and I would stick with zf lifeguard only, because when you change the box oil, you can only get about 6 and half litres of oil back out and the box holds 10 litres, so thats means your mixing 6 and half litres on new clean oil with 3 and half litres of original zf oil

so if your changing to a different manufacturer of oil, your mixing them, which is never recommended by any garage

mixing oils is usually a no no

cheers

Joe

Wanna come and do mine :wink1:

3 hours ago, CBers said:

Wanna come and do mine :wink1:

HI

your a bit of a drive away from me, so that would be a no.

I only do mine because, I don't trust most garages, at least if I have done it myself, I know its been done and done right.

you see that many things done wrong at garages, they don't treat your car nice, there's that many video's now, off dash cams where people have gone in for service work and there car only get abused, I know it now all garages, its nice if you know someone who works at a garage who you can trust to do work.

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

On 3/24/2016 at 3:16 PM, JOE-DOT-COM said:

your a bit of a drive away from me, so that would be a no.

LOL

I need to find me a local garage that will do a good job and not charge an arm and a leg !!

Hopefully going to have my car Terracleaned this Friday. 

Thanks for responding :yes:

6 hours ago, CBers said:

LOL

I need to find me a local garage that will do a good job and not charge an arm and a leg !!

Hopefully going to have my car Terracleaned this Friday. 

Thanks for responding :yes:

hi

why are you having it terracleaned are you have problems with emmisions for mot

most people have there car terracleaned when there struggling with emissions just before a mot

cheers

joe

16 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

why are you having it terracleaned are you have problems with emmisions for mot

most people have there car terracleaned when there struggling with emissions just before a mot

cheers

joe

No particular reason, other than it's done 123,000 miles now, so thought it might benefit from one.

MPG is around 38 mpg on a long motorway run.

Would you not recommend it then ??

It's due an MOT in June, but I've never seen any smoke coming out of the exhaust.

All advise is appreciated.

Hi CBers

its just usually done to help with emissions, on big petrol cars

usually I would say "If its not broke, leave it alone" but I don't think it could do any harm, I'd spend it on a service instead

basically all they do is pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then connect there kit to the fuel rail and feed in there fuel/additive into the fuel rail at pressure and start the car

so your running on the fuel out of a can off there kit basically, so its going be fuel, with additives in, dont know how well it works, but lets say it works and cleans all you ports,

injectors, valves and pistons, where does all that crap end up, bouncing around your cylinder, in your expensive lambda sensors or clogging up your cat

basically its like redex you put in your fuel, but you pay 20 fold for it

I don't know, it could well be fine but ive allways been uneasy from squirting unknown fuels in a known good running engine

let us know how you go on,

cheers

joe