auto gearbox software upgrade

pezzzer

Jag been into the garage last weekend for software upgrade and it failed to accept it again (4th time).

Been asked if I could possibly bring it in during the week so that Jaguar can log into it a find out what's going on with it. £££ Pass the smelling salts nurse!!!

• 2 months later...

Well, after waiting for a suitable time to get the car into AWJ during the week, I was driving home Wednesday evening and experienced an almighty shudder from the rear of the car, it went straight into 'limp' mode and the dreaded 'gearbox fault' lit up on the dash. Oh b@ll#&ks I thought!

Arranged to take it in the garage the next morning, fearing the worst I waited for the dreaded phone call which dully arrived......... it turns out that the problems I had been experiencing weren't due to the software on the transmission, but the half shaft was on its way out and when it failed the car went into 'limp' mode to protect the gearbox. So with that they replaced the half shaft, sway link arm and a few other bits and pieces £367 all done. Picking it up in around an hours time...... you're looking at one happy bunny!!

can anyone help I have a 2006 stype diesel sport. 3 week ago I got abs/dsc warning light. as yet not fixed suspected wheel sensor. I had to go on holl when I came back my local mechanic away hence waiting a month. this week I go gearbox fault and notice when I put into drive or reverse the car jolts I also noticed the amber engine light on. I was doing a short motorway run when I noticed the my speed at 50mph at 3000rpm would not change up gear suspect some kind of limp mode but no message any help welcome as I spoke to h a fox preston who said sounds like gearbox internal fault yes this is over the phone anyway he said they don't fix just replace

That's exactly the experience I had Gary, the dsc and abs failure is indeed a wheel sensor failure. Also the gearbox failure came up last Wednesday evening and the car did drop into limp mode as you suspected. Took it to my local Indy and they diagnosed my problem as the half shaft so fingers crossed bud yours could be the same.

hi pezzer

have you looked under your car to see what been replaced, ie which half shaft (drive shaft)

I dont see how a half shaft can throw up a transmission fault,  the 2 half shafts connect the hub to the diff in the middle, there are no sensors on the propshaft, no sensors on either half shaft(drive shaft), no sensors on the diff, the only sensors are on the hubs abs sensors, to throw a fault up on abs or dsc, one sensor has to stop working or you get speed difference any sensor and the abs operate or the dsc operates

so for this to come on either the diff would have to fail or the half shaft(drive shaft) would have to snap, which would mean you would lose all drive, due to these cars having a diff

even if one of the cv joints had failed you still dont usually get any faults, just becomes very noisey

just wondered if you had looked what had been replaced

cheers

Joe

Are these gearbox issues you mention something I should be really concerned about?  My Jag does the "clunk" gear change from 2nd to 1st as I am coming to a standstill slowly.  Doesn't do it all the time but pretty regularly.  I also get the sort of squeak noise when she drops a gear on acceleration, particularly up hill.  I believe this can be cured by an oil change?

Starting to sweat a little now that I might have to start shelling out big money :-S

hi

the autoboxes are quite good, if looked after

I do recommend the Oil change, filter, pins and mechatronics sleeve. its quite easy to do.

this ZF gearbox 6HP26, 6speed, is used by ford, Jaguar, landrover, BMW, Audi and many more, so its a known and proven gearbox

I have one on my S-type STR, with over 400 bhp, handles the power effortless and its lovely and smooth, I've changed my oils right through, I change my Oil and filter every year and plan on changing diff and gearbox every 5 years.( and my car only does 2k a year )

The problem is some s-type were £60k when new and some basic ones can now be bought £££, like less than a £1000, people buy these cars because there a bargain, but when it comes to maintaining them, they skimp on everything, services, cheap oils, cheap tyres, you only get what you pay for

so if you bought a slightly over priced one, with full service history, or even full Jaguar history, with a pile of receits and loads of documentation, then you can be sure its going to give you years of trouble free motoring, if you keep the maintenance up of course.

but people expect to pay £1000 for one and expect it to be trouble free, with no history what so ever, sometimes get a shock when something fail and wonder why??

a well maintained car will rarely give trouble or fail, a poorly maintained car, will allways give trouble

well thats what's i think any way, I've had my s-type now just over a year, its allways been maintained regardless off cost and I have never had any issues with it what so ever, might be just luck, or just good maintenance, who knows.

cheers

joe

Hi Joe,

I'm afraid I'm not as well up on these things as you seem to be.

All I can tell you is my symptoms were as you describe yours to be.

I've attached the work sheet for your interest, its running lovely now, no clunking from park to drive or reverse anymore, no fluctuation of the speedo needle ( something I now only understand was and indicator of the problem, have you noticed this before limp mode kicked in.)?

Sorry I cant be of more help, but Andy at AWJ has looked after my last three Jags and I trust him, he's got me up and running a few times when I've experienced a break down.

cheers

pezzzer

WP_20160620_13_22_05_Pro.jpg

35 minutes ago, pezzzer said:

Hi Paul, yes mate already posted that link, very informative and was my start point when my issues began.

Yes, of course. I'm getting forgetful these days :yes:

Hi Joe,

no mate I ran the car with the abs and dsc failure for around three months with any issues other than the dash lights coming on every now and then but no limp mode until the drive shaft gave way.

cheers Kev

15 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:
15 hours ago, Raistlin said:

Yes, of course. I'm getting forgetful these days :yes:

comes to us all lol, I've been suffering with that for years!

You know you're in trouble when you climb the stairs with an intention, then when you get to the top, can't remember why you made the trip.

:wallbash: