2.1 petrol spluttering help please

bens851

Hi guys,

New on here so hello!

I bought a 2.1 v6 petrol X-type the other day (privately) and the Engine Management Light has come on.  It stays on permanently but the car is not in limp mode. While I'm driving the car there is hesitation/spluttering up through the rev range particular under heavy acceleration through the mid rev range.  Along with this the air bag light on the passenger side of the dash intermittently turns on and off... does anyone have any ideas on this one?

When I bought the car the other day there was barely any fuel in it and during the 15 min test drive the car did not have any warming lights but did seem to splutter a bit... I honestly put this down to there literally being the bare minimum of fuel in the car and it was just misfiring... the fuel gauge was below empty... I have only driven the car for a bout 60 miles since having it but I put some high octane fuel into the car to hopefully give everything a clear out. 

I am wondering if it could be something to do with the previous owner always possibly running the car on empty? Perhaps the fuel filter is clogged up or dirty spark plugs?

I have read a few things about how it could be a breather pipe or o2 sensor causing the problems but I was wondering If anyone has any ideas to which I could check?

I have ordered a diagnostic tool on eBay so I can get the fault code.

I am mildly mechanically minded.. as in I try to do as much as I can myself e.g.. servicing and general maintenance so will give anything a go. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also I've never worked on a v6 before... do you need to remove the inlet manifold in order to remove the spark plugs?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. The car is on 59k miles, I was told by the owner that he looked after it well and serviced it yearly himself, it does have a full Jag service history up until 2 years ago when the previous owner bought the car. He did also state that "It's probably due a service"...

So yes I am planning on servicing the car but holding out on buying the bits to do it until I get my eBay special diagnostic tool.

I'm hoping It just needs a good service and that will sort her out!

Will update with the codes as soon as I get my diagnostic in the post!

• Like 1

Yes ill get some pictures up at some point!

Fuel economy wise... its not bad but not great but really don't know what is expected of her if I'm honest... for a 2 litre v6 I'm assuming under 30mpg?

Hi Ben, and welcome to the club.

There are two almost identical posts, and for the sake of clarity I have deleted one.

Spluttering is usually a fuel system problem, and my first reaction would be to use an additive to clean out the fuel system - there are plenty on the market, and Wynns products are usually easy to get hold of --  Halfords stock them. 

The V6 engine can be worked on, but plug removal can be a bit fiddly, but there will be some members who have done it.

On the passenger airbag issue my s type has a sensor to determine if there is a passenger on the front seat - so it could be that sensor that needs attention.

You won't really know what the fuel economy will be like until you have cleared the spluttering issue.

I had an X type with the 2.5 V6 engine and I could get about 35 mpg on a long run and around 25 mpg round the town

The fuel you use should be good quality too.  I have the 2.7 V6 diesel and always use the top grade fuel and I do get a much better mpg.

Regards,

Peter.

Not at all up on the petrol engines Ben, but I'd certainly endorse Jim's suggestion regarding a full service.

Denis and I serviced his latest acquisition at the weekend and the difference it made to the car was astounding. We had had visions of spending £££ to cure a cold engine rough idle / smoke problem but the service solved sorted everything out. Not always the case, of course but gratifying nonetheless :yahoo:

Nothing like knowing exactly what has been done to your car and an ideal reference from which to continue regular maintenance.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies!

I'm definitely going to give it a full service but just holding fire until I've read the fault code that is causing the engine management light to come on.

I've looked into changing the plugs and I feel its something I will be able to do so will be looking to give it the once over including Injector cleaner and cataclean. 

Also I've decided after looking at another post on here that ill be running her on top grade fuel as it seems like the best and most value for money.

The camera on my phone is currently malfunctioning so I am unable to take any pictures but I will get some posted up when I get round to it!

Hi Ben, 

You are right in using top grade fuel  ----  my diesel engine really improved once I started using it regular.  And I get about £6 a quarter voucher from Shell with points gained which offsets the extra cost.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Ben,

Given the age and mileage it's possible the plugs and coils both need replacing, unless you know they've been done recently. Your diagnostic tool should narrow the problem down. There's an issue with some 2.1's where water collects in the recess around the rearward coils (cylinders 1,3&5) and can get in and corrode the plugs. It's a DIY fix if you're patient. The airbox needs to come off, the manifolds don't need to be moved, but it helps to have small hands! I had all six changed on mine in January after intermittent mis-fires and it runs really sweetly now.

As for MPG on a 2.1, mines an auto and I get about 22mpg around town, but up to 35mpg on a good run. I run it on standard BP unleaded and put an additive in every 2 or 3 tankfulls, which is about 4 times a year for me.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Ian

Just taken some pictures guys.

She's pretty tidy... has a scrape on the front bumper and another on the rear bumper. Apart from that she's straight and clean.

After a leather interior and probably 18" alloys to finish her off nicely.

IMG-20160405-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20160405-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160405-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20160405-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

So just an update guys... my diagnostic tool is still yet to arrive even though it was apparently posted via royal mail 24 and now its 48 hours late!

But I took her for a drive today still with the EML constantly on and on the way back the car went into limp mode... the engine management light flashed for about 20 seconds and then just stayed on where I could return to normal driving and the rpm was not restricted...  This then happened again while I was on the motorway shortly after I opened her up to try and clear her out.

The car is still spluttering away... I'm wondering if its a plug misfiring and causing the engine to go into limp home??

Your thoughts would be muchly appreciated!

I would initially suspect an intermittently faulty spark plug Ben. They do break down under load sometimes. If not that then whatever supplies the HT to a modern petrol engined car (coil packs?).

Yes its on 59k and due a service so I'm assuming the plugs have never been changed.  Im hoping it needs a good service, and ill get some cataclean and injector clean and see how it goes.

Hi Ben

Sounds like the plugs need changing but as I said you need to check the coil packs. It's not a cheap fix but new plugs won't help if the coils need replacing. You've said it's bank 1, I think that's the bank closest to the bulkhead. Check for any signs of corrosion and maybe you can get away with replacing 3.

Best of luck,

Ian

So full service completed, changed the spark plugs, oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter and cabin filter. Found 3 whole flies in the Oil so that really needed changing!

I took off all sensors attached to the intake and air box and cleaned everything. Put it all back together and now the engine management light has turned itself off and the car is driving like a dream!

This is just an observation and I've got no idea what they are called but I took out and cleaned the plastic turbine thingy's which slot into the top of the manifold... I didn't notice them making noise before I cleaned them when I turned the ignition on... Now I can hear them spinning up... I'm just wondering if the Bank 1 side wasn't spinning properly and therefore causing it to under/over fuel and therefore misfire?

Anyway its driving well now and I'm really happy!

Just after a full leather interior and 17/18 inch alloys! :)

Well done, Ben.

You might be able to find the leather interior at a Breakers.  You could also look at the idea of just replacing the current seat "covers" with the leather from other seats rather than taking out the seats,

Try Breakeryard  -  if there are any out there they will source them for you.

Regards,

Peter