new to the s type

hoochie

live in bristol, so travelled down to paignton on the train, what a lovely route! met at station by the owner, and there she was, quick test drive paid the money then a very relaxing drive home, 2001 Jaguar s type 3.0 se

Welcome to the club, Damon.

The S type, described by the designer of the M1 and the Mk 11, Sir William Lyons as having Grace, Space and Pace.

Absolutely true  --  you enjoyed the grace and space today --  and it won't be long before you enjoy the pace!

Great Car, and I hope you enjoy both the car and the club.

Some owners like to put a photo on the site, but it is not compulsory!

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Jaguar Owners Club Damon :yes:

I can well imagine how you felt during your test drive. I still remember my own first drive of my S-Type. Once I'd made the decision to buy, I couldn't wait to get the car to myself and see what she could do.

Loads of friendly people on here and quite a fair sprinkling of people who know their stuff technically as well.

I hope you find things to interest you as you look around the web-site. As Peter says, photos etc, are not compulsory :wink:

Hey Damon 

Welcome to what I believe is probably the best Jag owners club there is.

Well done on your purchase as well I have just recently bought my first Jaguar which I also a s type 2001 best car I've ever owned.

You will find a whole wealth of knowledge amongst the members who are really friendly and helpful.

Enjoy both the club and the car mate 

Karl 

DSC_0005.JPG

• Like 1

well the honeymoon was short lived.... i cant seem to get any hot air in the cabin, all the controls work ect but no hot air, the car isnt overheating so im at a loss, i have it booked in tomorrow for a coolant flush and change and hope they can bleed the system....but something tells me it wont be that simple

I'm willing to bet it's the heater valve.

Easy enough to do but expensive unless you can get a used one from a breaker or fleabay.

If it is the heater valve, you might find that Denis (X Typ Den) has one.

2 hours ago, hoochie said:

would x type den be good enough to contact me please....i hope this is the case

Hi yes i have a good used one off a 2002 3.0 V6 fully working my as 3 ports how many does yours have as some have 5 ports

1 hour ago, hoochie said:

your all going to scream at me.....but i instructed the garage to carry on with the work, they identified the heater valve thing, and it is being done as we speak

If your confident with your garage carrying out the work for you at a reasonable cost then go for it every time imho. 

If your not confident or don't know what your looking for then it can save you loads in the long run. 

• Like 1

i dont do any work myself on cars, wish i did but never really learned how to, and heating and climate control and cooling systems i want bang on so happy for my local garage to supply the genuine part fit bleed flush ect

Hi Damon, 

When I was young I did a 36 week night school course on car maintenance.

I learned how to de-coke a car engine, how to replace brake drums and shoes, the innermost working of Carburettors, chaining spark plugs and points, repairing a distributor, and more or less all of the electrical bits  --  not many then  --.

I serviced our cars until company cars came along,  & although I still serviced my wife car for years  the changes in technology meant either a very complicated apprenticeship or paying  a good mechanic  to do it for you.

I check the fluids, and things like air filters, but all these sensors are something different, so I leave it to the experts.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

the only thing i would say the wheels on there are 16" and what with the long wheel base, it looks as if it needs a bigger alloy, can anyone recommend or know of a set for sale

5 minutes ago, hoochie said:

the only thing i would say the wheels on there are 16" and what with the long wheel base, it looks as if it needs a bigger alloy, can anyone recommend or know of a set for sale

Which post are you referring to please, Damon?

it just keeps getting better and better lol, i now have a few small drips of coolant when car is parked up behind drivers front wheel, right under expansion tank, when the heater valve work was done it was making puddles went back to garage and they said it was probably over filled and noticed it was at correct level when warm, although hard to see lol......but even now coolant level seems low and i can see drips on floor.....it is obvious it isnt the breather pipe it is either a split tank but holds pressure car doesnt over heat ect or a hose.....any advice before i give up jag ownership lol

Hi Damon, 

Sometimes air conditioning systems do have a little drip such as you describe.  I was surprise when my first Jaguar didn't have one, and my two previous cars both had such little drip as you describe.

Is the air con  working OK though?

Regards

Peter.

no its not aircon.....when i left garage after having fresh coolant put in, it was leaving puddles "!Removed! out" now the level is low it is the odd drip.....are the expansion tanks a known issue with age?