Three Fault Codes At Once

DaveW

Good Evening everyone, I am looking for advice.

Car was running perfectly yesterday but I took it for a short run tonight and got the following errors flash up. It started with ABS Fault lights then DSC Not Found followed by Gearbox fault warning. I then lost power, on parking the car jumps into gear when going from drive into reverse and even into park, all this in the space of 5 minutes, any advice appreciated. Dave.

Initially David, I'd make sure your battery is charged or use a known good one.

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes (note the radio code) then reconnect.

I'm initially of the opinion that you are suffering the bête noire of S-Types, which is low battery voltage.

Even if you think the battery seems OK, it needs to be well up on voltage or else you will get multiple, usually unconnected failures such as those you've experienced.

Fingers crossed that is the explanation.

If so, you might like to follow the attached battery reset procedure.

Battery reset.pdf

Hi David --Sorry to hear of your problem and from my own experience and  other owners

I would say the first thing to do is check your battery a faulty or low battery will cause all

sorts of problems ---Best of luck

Frank

3 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

I'm initially of the opinion that you are suffering the bête noire of S-Types, which is low battery voltage.

Even if you think the battery seems OK, it needs to be well up on voltage or else you will get multiple, usually unconnected failures as you've experienced.

Hi Raistin, thanks for the prompt reply, must admit I was thinking along those lines as I had warning lights a while back and it turned out to be low battery, just the power loss bit spooked me. Dave

5 minutes ago, O.T.H said:

Hi David --Sorry to hear of your problem and from my own experience and  other owners

I would say the first thing to do is check your battery a faulty or low battery will cause all

sorts of problems ---Best of luck

Frank

Thanks Frank, will check that out first, due a service as well so if all else fails I will get Jaguar to check it out :) . Dave

Hi Jim, thank you for posting. Yesterday I confirmed that the battery is ok but does need charging but with a crazy work schedule that is on hold until the weekend. Hopefully fully charged and reconnected the system will reset and all ok again. Yes I did have similar issues about a year ago and to be honest I have not been using the Jag that regularly lately . I am not sure if they are any good but I have also purchased an AA solar powered trickle charger that plugs into the EOBD Connector for when I am not driving the car for a few days, it will be interesting to see how this pans out although the AA solar charger has got great reviews, one thing I must remember is the unplug the changer before starting to engine as apparently it can result in blown fuses and problems with the engine management system. Dave :)

Hi David, 

The battery will have been changed  -- my 2007 plate was changed in 2012.  It is easy to get your batter condition checked - but I guess  it will be probably OK.

I was thinking of one of those solar chargers, but being retired I can plug in my charger every now and then.

Frank and Paul have offered very good advice.

Regards, 

Peter.

David,

I've seen several of those solar chargers in use and, while they might be fine for charging a caravan battery, there is no way, personally, I'd connect one to my S-Type. They are not designed to cope with the various different types of battery available for cars now, some of which require considerably more than a bog standard 12 volts.

My present battery is a calcium based beast for example.

Just my opinion, of course :yes:

Hi Peter, thanks for your comment. I had the battery checked out yesterday and it is in A1 condition but did indicate that it needed charging so hopefully Saturday my old beauty will be back up and running. I have got a Scotland run in a few weeks and will be touring for three weeks so I think that will blow away the cobwebs ;). Also going in for it's main service in a couple of weeks plus MOT and full valet. In all fairness I have had this Jag a year now, changed the tyres two months in due to road noise, (got the tyres that you recommended by the way and what a great choice, thank you for that). but other than that she has been completely trouble free and a joy to drive, for an 06 she turns a few heads. O I cleaned up the motor on the drivers side wing mirror, not a big job :) .  I think that the solar charger is worth a go, it's only £22 on Amazon so you cannot lose really, I will update on that after  few months of use as it may be of interest to some of the other forum members. Great forum and really friendly and helpful people. Dave

14 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

David,

I've seen several of those solar chargers in use and, while they might be fine for charging a caravan battery, there is no way, personally, I'd connect one to my S-Type. They are not designed to cope with the various different types of battery available for cars now, some of which require considerably more than a bog standard 12 volts.

My present battery is a calcium based beast for example.

Just my opinion, of course :yes:

All advice is gratefully received Raistlin, I have already got the charger is I will give it a go but if it don't make any difference I will just bin it, only £22 for the AA version so not a lot to lose. Dave :)

Hi Guys

Well battery checked out fine but needed charging, I have disconnected the battery and charged it, reconnected but all the fault codes still flashing and warning beep, any ideas! Dave.

Hi Dave, 

I am a bit mystified, but when the car is serviced that should sort it out.  Sometimes the solution to an issue seems to bear no relation to the issue.

But a good tour will serve the car well, and I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Peter.

this topic has given me a lot of thought?  with what you first explained, i would link it up to the ( tcm ) tansmission control unit. and see what the diagnostic report says. but the abs light! well thats something else to check too. but with the right diagnostic tool it should flag up what the problem is? looking forward to your reply on when it comes back, as to what it is ? ? ?

Hi

the jumping into gear sounds like the j gate to gearbox cable has come loose

I take it your boot dry, no water in the control units

but the only way to tell is to plug in and see what fault codes you have

cheers

joe

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in updating on the fault code and limp mode issue. OK, cat went into Jaguar and it turned out to b a rear ABS sensor faulty. Sensor replace and a full service and she is right as rain again.

Dave

On ‎4‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 3:02 AM, Raistlin said:

Even if you think the battery seems OK, it needs to be well up on voltage or else you will get multiple, usually unconnected failures such as those you've experienced.

If so, you might like to follow the attached battery reset procedure.

Battery reset.pdf

Regards the Battery Reset procedure.  My 2000 S-type opens the driver's window with one-touch but doesn't close that way. So I tried the procedure as listed but it didn't make any difference.  Does the one-touch window-close only work on post upgrade (2002) models?