occasional lack of power

Jaggx

Ok so i wasn't sure what to title this

Had a great trip down to maidstone at the weekend for our friends wedding and smartened the car up with the usual bows and ribbons so i could help and take the Bridesmaids it was all lovely, all in all a round trip of 559miles on a tank of fuel ( is this good by the way ! ) 

On the way home i noticed on the motorway there was a  slight lagg at times or intermittent loss of power, I'm only talking split seconds here but concerning non the less.

As i have just bought the car and have 6 months warrantee i thought id get some feedback if i can!  Is it or could it be ERG needing a good clean out its got 124K on the clock so could be I'm thinking or does anyone have any other ideas what this could be

I'll include a picture just because i was very proud of my car this weekend

JXtype_Sov.jpg

Hi Neal,

That is not a bad mpg for a round trip but with stopping and starting as well.

A sticky EGR valve is probably not the issue, as a good blast often cures it, But for under a Tenner you can squirt in a can of Wynns EGR Cleaner.

A slight lag on takeup could be fuel related, and it could be the injectors need cleaning a bit.Again Wynns have an additive.

I take it that there was no warning lights on the dashboard, so it is probably not serious, but as it is under warranty a pop round to your dealer would todo no harm.

Lets us know how it goes.

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi Neal, 

Jim has given you a very complicated answer, which I disagree with.

Your  car is under warranty and only recently came from the dealers, where it would have been serviced.

Just take it round to the dealer, tell him the issues and see what he says.

Ii is much easier than spending half a day with oily hands to solve a minor issue. 

After all,  it is better to enjoy your car from the driver's seat than spending hours doing unnecessary work on it.

Regards, 

Peter.

hi neal, if you now a little about cars this may help? find your turbo which is at the back of the engine close to the firewall.  then look at the actuator arm which works by  vacum..  there is a lever off the turbo to either a electronic unit, or a metal vacum unit. you must make sure that this is moving when rev-ing the car. if not it may be the problem?  in the picture mine is a metal vacum unit with the vacum pipe coming off it.  check for splits on the pipe first. remove heat shield cover plate and then check. for movement on the arm as i said early.. good luck.

WP_20160406_15_11_59_Pro.jpg

thanks for the replies and Peter your right just got the car with service on it etc filters Oil etc and it does seem like a minor issue within lights or warnings atall  i was more interested really as to what it might be ! Jim thank you for your feedback it doesn't seem to happen very often not around local roads anyway only found this happening on motorway around 50mph or coming up to motorway speed and only lets say four times on the whole trip

so i will try the dealer before the warrantee runs out for sure and have a look at doing the ERG and keep an eye on it, when the weather is a bit better ill have a look! and thanks David i will have a look at this when it stops raining

Neal

Hi Neal, 

Getting a good relationship with a dealer or a garage is a good thing to do.

When I was working and had a company car,  getting to know the service manager and his mechanics got me quite a few favours  --  on one occasion they valeted my car when it went in for a service, and on another occasion they steam cleaned the engine --  no change for either!

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

It was a complicated reply, Jim, and quite unnecessary, and had you read the post and the earlier one you  would not have posted its content at all.

I thought it was a post that was posted just for the sake of posting, which is something that the Rules advise should not be done.,   It might have sent a member in the wrong direction which is why I disagreed.

I could have deleted it as spam, but I do not over moderate.

Peter.

• Like 1

All comments welcome and thanks again for the replies

still working on this but very difficult to explain another person replied to me with the following so if anyone can please tell me if anyone else has found this to be true 

"If your around the 50-57mph range in 5th gear, the 2,0d is a bit jumpy, I`ve had two of the 2.0d and both have this awkward vague loss of power feeling at these speeds, you soon get used to it"

still working with the dealer on this when i have time in the diary

Neal

Hi Neal and welcome,

just dropping into the conversation as I noted the issue you have, my first Jag was a 2.0d sport estate and I had an issue very similar to yours, It turned out to be a fuel filter problem. My Car did 200k when I sold her and had a few FF in that time. It started with the same symptoms and if left it would eventually go into safe mode when you pushed on a bit.  Not heard of the jumpyness in 5th at 50-57 though, that's a new one on me.

as the guys have said previously, get her back to the dealer and get them to give it a thorough going over to fault find.

all the best

Andrew