Hello

Just a quick introduction.  I've joined because I'm interested in buying a Jaguar, been a dream of mine since, well a long time.  So intend on doing my research on what to look for and what's available in my price bracket and here's the place.  I'm in no rush, currently have an MGZT as well as a Freelander V6, The ZT will be the one to go, had it for some 6 years but the spares/repairs situation is getting increasingly difficult, besides I've always wanted a Jaguar - who hasn't?  I know at least one person on here and another name looks familiar so I'm sure I'll be welcome.

Thanks for looking

Gary M.

Hi Gary and welcome,

great couple of cars you have there, my cousin has the MGZT with the mustang engine, awesome car, pretty sure your Freelander has the same engine as my X Type.

you won't go wrong in acquiring a Jaguar, they stir the soul in us. 

Great guys and Moderators on here that can help steer you in the right direction if you need it.

Good luck

Andrew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raistlin said:

Hi Gary,

Nice to see you over here :yes: Welcome to the Jaguar Owners Club mate. Would be interesting to know what you were considering.

Hi Paul

Thank you and everyone else for the welcome.  Still fancy the S-Type 3.0l, but will need to move the ZT on first, no rush though as, unlike my ZT purchase, I want to do my homework first.

Gary M.

Hi Gary, 

Like other  S type drivers I bought my car because I recognised what is, in my opinion, a future classic. When Sir William Lyons designed its predecessors his comment on it's launch was a simple one "Grace, Space and Pace".

I have a late model S Type, which has the 2.7 Litre diesel engine, which is a fine engine and was designed as a joint venture between Ford and Peugeot and the main reason I chose a diesel was that the running costs were within the budget of a pensioner.  The car is our only car nowadays and we do enjoy it both as a workhorse and a car to take us out for pleasurable days out and holidays.

Other members are who drive the 3.0 litre V6 petrol find that this engine  is one of the best they have driven.  A lot comes down to personal choice.

I also had an x type 2.5 litre V6 which, with it's all wheel drive, was both a good road holder as well as being quite fast.

Like Paul [Raislin] and yourself I was a Rover Driver with my last car being a Rover Sterling with all the bess and whistles which I kept for 11 years and 122k.

A little bit of homework I did before buying my S Type was in the specifications.  I have the SE model but I found that the optional extras that were factory fitted to my car were quite high and that is something you should look out for, and if you make a list of what you want when you start the search.  That might sound a bit like teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but it is worth doing.

I hope this post is helpful, and I will also add that should you see a car advertised in an area far away, there might be a member in that area who will have a look at it and tell you what he/she thinks.  Travelling 200 miles to look at a car that the previous owners glowingly described only find that it is poor condition is very disconcerting.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Old Peter said:

Hi Gary, 

Like other  S type drivers I bought my car because I recognised what is, in my opinion, a future classic. When Sir William Lyons designed its predecessors his comment on it's launch was a simple one "Grace, Space and Pace".

I have a late model S Type, which has the 2.7 Litre diesel engine, which is a fine engine and was designed as a joint venture between Ford and Peugeot and the main reason I chose a diesel was that the running costs were within the budget of a pensioner.  The car is our only car nowadays and we do enjoy it both as a workhorse and a car to take us out for pleasurable days out and holidays.

Other members are who drive the 3.0 litre V6 petrol find that this engine  is one of the best they have driven.  A lot comes down to personal choice.

I also had an x type 2.5 litre V6 which, with it's all wheel drive, was both a good road holder as well as being quite fast.

Like Paul [Raislin] and yourself I was a Rover Driver with my last car being a Rover Sterling with all the bess and whistles which I kept for 11 years and 122k.

A little bit of homework I did before buying my S Type was in the specifications.  I have the SE model but I found that the optional extras that were factory fitted to my car were quite high and that is something you should look out for, and if you make a list of what you want when you start the search.  That might sound a bit like teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but it is worth doing.

I hope this post is helpful, and I will also add that should you see a car advertised in an area far away, there might be a member in that area who will have a look at it and tell you what he/she thinks.  Travelling 200 miles to look at a car that the previous owners glowingly described only find that it is poor condition is very disconcerting.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for the advice Pete, I'm minded to check a few cars out which are local to me and abide by that well known rule never buy the first one you see?  I'll also look through the various topics on here on what to look for, the good the bad and indifferent of the cars.  I'm in no rush and plan on enjoying the whole process.

• Like 1

Tha's the way to do it, Gary.

Having said that, although I did three weeks of research, and drew up a list, I actually bought the first one we saw as it met every single one of the requirements.

We needed a car quickly as my x type had been stolen!

Regards,

Peter.