Bluetooth - The easy way

Raistlin

Retro-fitting bluetooth phone on the later model S-Types is a bit of a nightmare.

Conventional wisdom has it that the BTUM socket, under the arm-rest storage bin will have eight wires if bluetooth enabled or five wires otherwise has shown itself to be less than accurate recently. I've found several cars that have eight wires but they go to the wrong terminals in the BUTM connector and when traced back seem to bear no correlation at all to the available wiring diagrams.

It can be done, but involves either running extra wiring from the boot to the BTUM socket or completely re-wiring a BTUM socket into the phone wiring in the boot.

However, there is a much easier way and it relies on the combined bluetooth / phone module fitted to very few of the last ever S-Types and also later X-Type models.

The photograph illustrates the module you need and also shows the microphone (internal one shown here but external and arguably better one is available) and the Bluetooth aerial, complete with Fakra Z type connector which fits the module's aerial connector perfectly and can be had from fleabay for roughly a fiver.

Ball park prices on fleabay, for example, would suggest that the components required to do the retro-fit the old way would cost £200. The newer combined module plus the aerial can be had for under £100 so, half the cost and a much easier fit.

In addition, the later module allows the touchscreen to display signal strength and phone service supplier as well as allowing up to six different phones to be paired, unlike the earlier setup which allows only one pairing at a time.

installation of the module is on the back of the Kaiser panel in the boot, which is directly behind the DVD, CDC, AMP stack. The module is a little smaller than the original so can either be bolted in to place with one bolt, or you could drill the Kaiser panel to secure it with four bolts. In my view, a sufficiently tightened single bolt will do the job.

Then all that is required is to plug in the connector which will already be in the loom, make a D2B (fibre optic loop) connection, and plug in the aerial.

The aerial is not for the phone's connection to the outside world, it merely serves for the Bluetooth wireless link and as such, it will work perfectly well if located under the parcel shelf or just behind the rear seats. There is no requirement to get it into the arm-rest storage cavity. It can be completely concealed.

Initial pairing is the same procedure as for the earlier setup, except that it seems to pair a lot more quickly, gives you a real-time signal strength, directly from the phone, and also tells you the phone service provider.

Well, that's the basics. It took Steve Foxton and I something in the region of thirty minutes to install his Bluetooth setup, start to finish, today. Albeit that the microphone was already installed for Jaguar Voice, but even allowing time for the microphone to be fitted it should be doable in less than an hour I'd say.

This has to be one of the simplest retro-fits yet, and it works brilliantly.

DSCN1258 (Copy).JPG

• Like 5

Well done paul.

This bluetooth module and components were fitted to my car by paul today.

wow.....quick and easy and, having tried it several times, works great. The install is simple and the results are great. All function through the touchscreen, the signal strength is very good ( average 4 bars out of 5 ) and it's simple to use. The microphone in the central overhead liner seems happy with everything and there is little or no distortion.

again well written paul and well installed. On to the next retrofit as discussed with a few tweaks to the voice.

Keep it up!

• 2 months later...

The module relies upon the presence of a D2B optical network Jolly, which I understand is not present in earlier cars.

At the moment then, I'd have to say no... but never say never. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure Paul's excellent post represents a 'leap' forward with regard to retrofitting techniques and long may it continue. My problem (and I suspect some others too) is that I'm already confused even when things are explained at an apparently basic level due to my dinosaur knowledge of current technology. My situation is frustrating in that currently I have to pull into a layby to make/take a call. My previous vehicle (an old Primera) had a stereo fitted that enabled bluetooth connection to my phone and that was great (even though I had to re-pair each time I used the car). All I want is the same capability through my S type audio system. The question is can it be done without ripping out the existing audio system and how expensive would it be? Vehicle is 2003 model with touch screen satnav. I don't have Jag Voice module nor bluetooth module (I think) nor ACM (I think) and as for 'D2B' optical fibre, well I have no idea. I am tempted to buy one of those 'Geartist' gizmos which I think works as follows: I somehow 'pair' my phone to the device using bluetooth and then it transmits on an unused FM channel to my existing radio and thus through the speakers. What happens if I'm listening to a different channel when the phone rings, baffles me (do I change channels when it rings?) How it picks up my voice other than through the phone microphone while it sits in the ashtray, is also an unknown to me. Please forgive my primitive understanding of all this but it doesn't help when Jaguar provide a phone button on the steering wheel that doesn't actually mean what it says. Any help from this most excellent would be most appreciated. Kind regards, Dennis

Hi Dennis,

the OEM bluetooth phone retro-fit compliments and works with your present audio system. Depending upon how much you pay for the combined phone / bluetooth module, it would probably cost about £100 all in for the parts and if you want, I'll fit it and set it up for you if you fancy a trip up to Wolverhampton.

Once installed it will download your phone's directory so you can choose who to phone via the touchscreen. If you have Jaguar Voice fitted you can tell it who to phone by linking contacts in your directory to simple one word tags. If you don't have Jaguar Voice that can be retro-fitted as well, parts cost about £40 and again, if you're not keen, I can do that for you as well.

By all means PM me if you have any questions.

• 3 years later...

Hi Raistlin,

Looks like it has been a few years since anyone posted on this but i wonder if it is still active?

Have a X-type 2003 with the old style Motorola in the center console and would  like to replace it with something bluetooth.

The module you show looks like it has a "radio" build into it. All i need is somehow to connect audio from my mobile (iPhone) to the audio system.

This is a US model. CA to be exact.

any suggestions?

Thx,

Chris

• 6 months later...

Hi I my dad has just brought a 2.7 style it has a sat nav how hard is it to connect a phone when I press the phone button it says no phone any help would be appreciated we are in Wolverhampton 

Hi David and welcome to the club.

Have you got an owners manual?  There are very good instructions on how to connect a mobile phone.

The other question i would ask is "Has the car got bluetooth and is the 'phone bluetooth switched on?"  The car has got to recognise the phone.

Regards,

Peter.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I have a beautiful 2007 S type 3 litre which for some reason lacks many extras. I can live with that but I want handsfree phone through the sound system.Could you give me a list of the items I need to get from eBay or elsewhere to make this happen please.The car has no touchscreen or satnav. 

Hi Bill and welcome to the club.

I also have a beautiful 2007 s type 2.7 diesel, but which differs from you insofar as I managed to find that the first owner spent around £12,000 on optional extras.

I am no expert on retro fitting, but there are some members who are very good experts in that field, who I am sure will assist.

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 months later...

I should look on local eBay if I were you Graeme.

Otherwise, UK eBay suppliers who will ship to you. The module, microphone and Fakra aerial should total less than £100, whatever that is in dollars. I'd also fit the voice module at the same time which actually makes the installation easier.

• 5 months later...

Hi Paul, pleased to meet you on the forum, I just joined after purchasing an S-Type 2003 2.5 V6 petrol (with nav, elect. Handbrake and phone set under armrest) here in The Netherlands. Could you please advise on:

1. Replacing the telephone with blue tooth option (I am not very technical, however eager to learn)
  2. Upgrading the navsat software 
  3. Upgrading the system software.

# 1 would be more relevant than the other two.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, DaveHx said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me the part number of the unit in the above photo please ?

regards

7W93-10D893-AB will get you where you want to go. Please be aware that the last two letters are not important in choosing a module. By all means let me know if I can help.

PS, don't forget the microphone and the FAKRA aerial. Also a good idea to bung a Jaguar Voice module in as well. Saves modifying the wiring and adds a very useful additional toy. 🙂

On 9/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, S-Type2003_2.5_from_NL said:

Hi Paul, pleased to meet you on the forum, I just joined after purchasing an S-Type 2003 2.5 V6 petrol (with nav, elect. Handbrake and phone set under armrest) here in The Netherlands. Could you please advise on:

1. Replacing the telephone with blue tooth option (I am not very technical, however eager to learn)
  2. Upgrading the navsat software 
  3. Upgrading the system software.

# 1 would be more relevant than the other two.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't notified of your post.

1. If your car has D2B optical network then the first post in this thread applies 🙂

2. Any of the online suppliers of update disks, although you won't find one later than 2012.

3. Ugh. Leve it alone. Even I wouls be scared to go diving into the system that far with my trusty SDD. What did you want to achieve?