New X-Type Owner

Bryan M

Hi all,

I've been searching for a new car for the last few months. It started out as being something sensible to replace my 14 plate Focus but I just kept coming back to the X-Type. The mrs doesn't like it but I think that's because we're both 21 and she doeesn't consider it a young man's car!

However, I've since put a deposit down on one and I'm currently waiting on it being prepared.

55 plate 2.2d SE with 42,000 miles for £4,500. It's more than I was going to pay but they've included a new MOT (plus tyres/ brakes if advisories), 3 months warranty, a service and they're replacing a couple of bits of trim. Light metallic blue with full cream leather interior.

The reason I'm posting is that I am well aware of the issues they suffer with corrosion underneath. The garage (surprisingly) let us take a good look underneath and while there are some areas of rust, it all seems pretty superficial. I didn't venture to take the side skirtings off as I think we were pushing our luck already.

What I am wondering is if anyone can tell me what's best to treat the rust? It's going to be off the road for a week or so prior to use so I'm planning on getting any necessary work done in that time. Does anyone have any experience in  treating this themselves? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Hi Bryan, and welcome to the club.

SWMBO will like the car once she has had a few trips in it,  and my Jaguar keeps me young.

There are a few members who have done some rust removal/treatment/repair and they will share their experiences with you.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure she'll come round to the idea once she tries the heated seats.

Also, beyond the annual servicing of the car what do you guys normally do for routine maintenance? I'm not terribly mechanically minded but would like to learn to do whatever I can to keep her running smoothly.

Thanks again

Bryan

Hi Bryan, 

I only do 7,000 miles a year, so it is an annual service at the time of my MOT.

The diesel engine has a few little foibles, and likes to be driven hard every now and then bot don't over rev just steady, sometimes staying in 4th gear which should be about 3000 rpm.

The 2.2 litre engine is the same engine [inter alia] that powers the XF,  I believe, so it is well thought of.  To help the engine using the best fuel rather than the standard 95 octane as you will get better performance and better consumption.

Keeping the fuel injectors clean does not mean you have to take them out, as there are quite a few additives that are inexpensive.  There is one from Wynns, and also a product called "Diesel Magic" which was recommended to me by the mechanic who has serviced my cars for years.  I tried some a couple of days ago and my already smooth 2.7  D engine feels a little smoother.  It is worth a few shillings for preventative maintenance.

I hope you enjoy your Jaguar and also the Club.

Regards, 

Peter.

Hi Bryan and welcome,

dont worry about the age thing, I think it's down to personal choice, I was first bitten by an E Type at the age of 5 and now in my 50's. If Jaguars appeal then go for it, for me, it's all about the style, interiors and engines. I am now on my second X type, the first did 200k. Rust wise, these issues were sorted from 2004my onwards, so you should be ok apart from stone chips etc, you can check along the sill plate area, if there is any evidence of rust you will see it above the sill cover towards the chrome "Jaguar" sill trim. If there is any rust bubbling there then it's likely the sills will have some corrosion. You could also consider a Waxoil treatment to the underside and sub frames for added protection.

allways have my cars serviced on the dot and so far never had any big surprises. X types are very reliable if you look after them.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks again guys.

The car is now ready to be collected and I'm going to see it this week to make sure everything's in order. If all checks out then I hope to pick up on Wednesday! Also, after some research I discovered an anti-corrosion product called ACF 50 so I've ordered myself a bottle and will attack the underside of the car once both arrive.

I'll stick some pictures up once she arrives.

Cheers,
Bryan

Hi Bryan

ive had my 05 X-type 2.0d for just over a year now and the only rust on it is around one of the rear window strips, which seems common but merely cosmetic and I have been told it's easily and cheaply replaced. I haven't done it yet but intend to soon. 

Your post on here is the first I have heard about rust problems underneath - but when you see how many of these models are still on the road driving around maybe it was a myth?

Hi Nick,

Did you treat yours at all or have you been keeping it in a garage? As far as I can see the rust problems aren't a myth as I've seen a few horrendous pictures of sills more or less disintegrating with rust. Apparently this issue was sorted for post 2003 cars but I think they're still prone to rust more than usual. Mine certainly does have some corrosion underneath but the metal still looks pretty healthy.

The rear window strips of mine had bubbled too but the garage have since replaced them. According to them it's about £20 per strip.

Do you find it a pretty reliable car? My main concern with it after finding the engine ran well was the corrosion but hopefully, from what I can see, this won't be as big an issue as I'd imagined.

Hi Bryan

No. I keep mine outside on my drive and apart from the window strip there is no corrosion whatsoever. 

Engine is good - mine has done 150k and still going fine. 46ish mpg on the motorway!

i do have a steering rack problem which I posted on here about a while back. I havent replaced it yet because I may be replacing the Jag with a 4x4 - absolutely NOTHING against the Jag - it's about accommodating dogs and building material!

7 hours ago, Bryan M said:

Hi Nick,

Did you treat yours at all or have you been keeping it in a garage? As far as I can see the rust problems aren't a myth as I've seen a few horrendous pictures of sills more or less disintegrating with rust. Apparently this issue was sorted for post 2003 cars but I think they're still prone to rust more than usual. Mine certainly does have some corrosion underneath but the metal still looks pretty healthy.

The rear window strips of mine had bubbled too but the garage have since replaced them. According to them it's about £20 per strip.

Do you find it a pretty reliable car? My main concern with it after finding the engine ran well was the corrosion but hopefully, from what I can see, this won't be as big an issue as I'd imagined.

hi bryan, look at my photos in my profile and you can see how my sills were?

Hi David,

That's certainly the kind of thing I was referring to. It looks like you've just coated them with some sort of anti-corrosion paint rather than replacing the sills, is that right? Also, how did you get the sill covers off? I'm going to be picking the Jaguar up over the next couple of days and I'm intending on treating the body with ACF-50 to halt any further damage.

Cheers,
Bryan

on the underneath of the plastic sill there are 9 clips which you have to remove, on mine i used a screwdriver  so it undone a little bit then pull the clip out very carefully so as not to damage the clip.  then open all doors and grab from the top of the sill, and pull towards you...not up and not down. the clips look like what they use in the door cards. i would say there are about 5 clips. hope that helps.

with the covers off both my sills i then rubbed down to the metal, as you seen, then covered in anti rust treatment, then with silver hamerite paint x2 coats,.. then with my builders rubberiod liquid paint to protect from the elements.( dam good stuff. ) but where the holes are in the body of the sills spray them with an anti corrosive to which you think best to use. many good ones on eBay.

Thanks David, that's really helpful. Like I said, I've got anti-corrosion stuff coming shortly but I'll pick up some of the paint that you mentioned and coat the metal with that once I've treated the rust.

I've just been using a product called aquasteel, which was £35 for 2.5 ltrs (should do about 3-4cars). Just been treating all the rusty bits on my xj8, and so far i'm impressed by how the product goes on. Its used on ships etc, time will tell however on its longivety.

steve how bad were your sills? did you have to treat them first with an anti rust !  or did you just paint the aquasteel on?  but by reading your post that you`ve  placed it sounds like your well happy with the aquasteel paint... nice one..  :-)