brake shudder

Ian108

Hi, I fitted new Mtec discs about 3000 miles ago and now they are developing a really bad shudder. MOT january with no problems or advisories so a wondering if ther is a Jaguar problem I don't know about or is it just the discs failing?

Hi Ian and welcome,

My first thought was "Warped discs" then again, could be dirt build up on the pad/disk. Had all four discs, pads, calipers and fluid done on my Xtype a couple of thousand ago with no issues. Try a brake cleaner first and go from there,  Sorry I can't help more.

Regards

Andrew

Hi

I bet it a bad batch of disks with soft spots that have worn first

you need get a vernier on them and measure them,

check the thickness at even distance if there any difference in the sizes, then it disks

cheers

Joe

after checking the discs, as joe said check the calipers and that all pistons are moving when very gently applying brakes. if they all move ok, then check all bolts for correct torque/tighten.  spin disc and then apply brake and with both hands try to move the disc side to side up/down, if movement when doing this its then wheel bearings.  good luck.

Hi, I fitted new Mtec discs about 3000 miles ago and now they are developing a really bad shudder. MOT january with no problems or advisories so a wondering if ther is a Jaguar problem I don't know about or is it just the discs failing?

Similar problem with my S-Type as well.

Had new discs and pads fitted by dealer back in November, but had to have them replaced just over a month ago as they were warped (according my local Halford's) - getting steering wheel wobble under breaking.

Only done 5000 miles and I'm getting the same problem, so looks like something is causing this.

May need a trip to the Jaguar garage, as Halford's aren't sure what the problem could be and are reluctant to replace them again for free.

This is a bit of a concern as I'm doing discs and pads shortly, in my experience a complete change out sorts this indefinitely so interested to hear if there are brands and vendors to avoid and what the eventual solution / root cause is. Hope you get it sorted Ian :wink:

Hi. Have had exactly the same problem. Shuddering under breaking so changed all discs and pads. All needed doing anyway. Less than 5,000 miles later and the shuddering was back. Front discs were badly warped. I also had another problem, probably not connected, of excessive and uneven front tyre wear, so decided to do the following work. Changed the lower front arms. Got new front discs under warranty. We couldn't seat the discs properly due to the condition of the hubs, so changed these. Not cheap as Jag only part. I also changed the  tyres which were on the legal limit. Car now drives and breaks beautifully. 

On reflection, it does appear that the condition of the hubs was the source of the shuddering. 

May I ask what sort of mileage the car had done Simon and if you think this is the 1st time the hubs and arms were replaced? I guess how far one gets from these will vary with road type and driving style? Mine brakes pretty well considering there is little left on the pads and discs, but I'll check the condition of arms and bushes in case it would be prudent to do these at the same time etc...

12 minutes ago, simonhirst said:

Hi. Have had exactly the same problem. Shuddering under breaking so changed all discs and pads. All needed doing anyway. Less than 5,000 miles later and the shuddering was back. Front discs were badly warped. I also had another problem, probably not connected, of excessive and uneven front tyre wear, so decided to do the following work. Changed the lower front arms. Got new front discs under warranty. We couldn't seat the discs properly due to the condition of the hubs, so changed these. Not cheap as Jag only part. I also changed the  tyres which were on the legal limit. Car now drives and breaks beautifully. 

On reflection, it does appear that the condition of the hubs was the source of the shuddering. 

If it was the wheel hubs, wouldn't you still have problems even with new discs and pads ??

After my discs and pads were replaced the last time, everything was fine, but it only lasted about 3 weeks.

I've just had the front suspension legs and wishbones (!!) replaced, so I'm wondering if these are causing the issue and the next disc & pads replacement might be fine.

Russ68. My S Type is 10 years old and done 97,000 miles, 70,000 in the past 3 years since  bought it. Up and down the A303 every week. Bushes on the lower arms had gone and decided it was best to change the arms.

CBers: I did change the hubs and we are fairly certain that this was the source of the discs warping which in turn caused the front end shuddering under braking  problem. 

Mtec are replacing the discs so I can only try that. Have had all suspension investigated and there is no apparent wear or play. Will comment further after fitting new discs.

CBers: I did change the hubs and we are fairly certain that this was the source of the discs warping which in turn caused the front end shuddering under braking  problem. 

Hubs = Wheel Bearings?

On 4/14/2016 at 6:39 PM, Ian108 said:

Check reviews online Ref: Mtec discs & pads? I think your find the answer:whistling1: A light weight car:thumbsup: two tonnes of Jaguar:thumbdown:..They look pretty in the box if you go for the colour ones? But who knows the metal source used to make them or the metals carbon content? 3000 miles or not I would back em as not fit for purpose.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:54 AM, Russ68 said:

This is a bit of a concern as I'm doing discs and pads shortly, in my experience a complete change out sorts this indefinitely so interested to hear if there are brands and vendors to avoid and what the eventual solution / root cause is. Hope you get it sorted Ian :wink:

Mintex discs & EBC red pads are a cheap reliable option. Your need to check front disc for size before ordering it will be either 326mm or 355mm