Adamesh Sports Boxes DONE!

Claws

Hi All

Just thought I would share this, couldn't wait any longer for son in law (not his fault, I'm just an inpatient so and so) anyway apologies for awful videoing, I think Spielberg is safe :yes: and I somehow missed the 'S' off S Type ( if anyone knows how to correct that please let me know) as my comment states I did record how she sounded with original boxes, but pressed stop instead of pause, so had to start again :wallbash: 

my thoughts so far, the boxes do sound nice, they let you know there is a sizeable lump under the bonnet, maybe a bit to much? I don't know yet, got to give them time, not opened her up on the road as yet I will let you know, but have kept old boxes just in case!

you will note I sound out of breath, that's just the effort of getting up and down with knackered knees!

Any how below the YouTube link, and some pics after her scrub :yahoo:

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

Jealous Steve, interested to know if they are boomy inside the car, or if this just happens with cheaper hatchbacks and not Jags! Remember I have 1st refusal if you decide you don't like them :wink:

Cheers Peter, they do compliment the 3.0, before I could hear the engine more than exhaust noise certainly not the case now! 

Hi Russ

inititaly I did say too myself Wow! A hell of a difference that's for sure. There is a LOT more sound inside, I think the radio would cover the noise, it sounds like I'm making out the noise is horrendous, it's not, it will just take a bit of time to make that decision.

I Don't want to be a boy racer, (way to old for that :wheelchair: ) so at the moment jury is still out. I will need to have a couple of runs in her, before I decide, I thought perhaps they would be a little more subtle? I believe they will definitely turn heads :yes: SWMBO said she could hear me coming as I returned from the shop! But knowing my missus, final comment is yet to come :w00t: 

Wheather I put the old boxes back, I don't know yet, there not in the best of Nick, I've seen worse, but the new boxes are in much better condition. I will of course let you know Russ if that happens  :yes:

One thing for sure, I do like the look! What do you think guys of the look?

HI Steve, 

The look is great!

Having a 2.7 diesel, I love the rather quiet rumble of the diesel.  With a diesel you don't want it to sound like a Massey Ferguson.

It is wonderful what you can do to the same car with some hard work and some technology.

Regards,

Peter.

Got to say Simon

A big thanks for getting them to me safe and sound! And the clamps you included had to be used again, I bought some that were not quite the right size, life saver.

took so long because down the caravan is the only place I can do any work, Wednesday was such a beautiful day, I couldn't resist 

So you can't decide if they are too loud yet?

I sold them because I just didn't get round to fitting them but going by you not being 100% on the noise level then I think I did the right thing in selling as my S has no cats in the exhaust which makes it louder so with these black boxes it would of been too loud!

I have a pair of sport powerflow boxes on my diesel S type and their not loud at all.

only time I hear them is if the dpi regen cycle is happening then they have a nice low burble. 

I fitted them because I had them from my old 3.0 S type and the garage I bought my diesel from painted the tips on the old pipes black!! 

When I had them on my 3.0 I was amazed, not by the noise, which was impressive but by how many times it swapped between 4th & 5th!!

never heard it with the old boxes!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Andy the tyre man said:

I have a pair of sport powerflow boxes on my diesel S type and their not loud at all.

only time I hear them is if the dpi regen cycle is happening then they have a nice low burble. 

I fitted them because I had them from my old 3.0 S type and the garage I bought my diesel from painted the tips on the old pipes black!! 

When I had them on my 3.0 I was amazed, not by the noise, which was impressive but by how many times it swapped between 4th & 5th!!

never heard it with the old boxes!

Usually on V6 TDI you get just a burble at tick over / driving at low speed but once nailed the exhaust note changes to mostly hearing the turbos spooling up.

Thanks Chaps for your comments 

Joe I've seen clips of the S Type 'R' with sports boxes, the sound must be awesome in 'real life' instead of listening through speakers, I couldn't find a clip of an S Type 3.0, the closest I could find was an X type 3.0

Tony thanks for the thumbs up, the beer is Aussie although it's brewed in Scotland!

Andy I don't understand what you mean when you say swapping between 4th & 5th?

I do have a question if you don't mind. I mentioned in the clip about cleaning the inside of the tail pipes, quite a bit of the grime / soot cleaned up, just with a sponge and car shampoo, but will need something more 'Aggressive' to completely remove it all. I bought a couple of those green plastic scouring pads you would use in the kitchen, do you think it would be okay to use on the pipes, say with chrome cleaner? 

Hi

chrome cleaner will work, or a bit of wire wool or even a scotchbrite with wd40 will fetch the black out

the adamesh ones from new come with different rubber hangers so the gap between trim and bumper is better

try to leave a even gap around the tail trim, as the tail trim does get quite hot and will melt your bumper, if its touching

cheers

joe

Thanks Joe

I have watched quite a few clips, we're they use wire wool / Brillo pad, not trying to be a doubting Thomas here, but won't that scratch and damage the chrome and inevitably lead to the onset of rust?

Hi Steve, 

Cleaning chrome is not an quick job, but it can be done without damaging the coating.  I have used Solvol Autosol since my days on motor bikes to clean the exterior of chrome fittings.

Muck out of tailpipes is a different job, and ~I agree with Joe on the use of Wire wool, Brillo etc

Regards, 

Peter.

2 hours ago, Claws said:

Thanks Chaps for your comments 

Andy I don't understand what you mean when you say swapping between 4th & 5th?

When I had my 99 'T reg 3.0 it was nice and quiet with the standard boxes on.

when I fitted the powerflow boxes it had a nice V6 rumble that you could hear when cruising around. 

The wife pointed out one day that she noticed the car changing up an down between 4th and 5th gears nearly all the time, something it was probably doing before but we couldn't hear it.   

It was a high mileage car so probably needed a gearbox service. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Old Peter said:

Hi Steve, 

Cleaning chrome is not an quick job, but it can be done without damaging the coating.  I have used Solvol Autosol since my days on motor bikes to clean the exterior of chrome fittings.

Muck out of tailpipes is a different job, and ~I agree with Joe on the use of Wire wool, Brillo etc

Regards, 

Peter.

Fair enough Peter, Joe, you guy's will know a lot more than me

I'll give them ago

Thanks Andy

i get it now, I'll have to have a listen as well now 

Regards

Steve

Hi

If there adamesh back boxes there stainless steel

there's no plating on them, just polished stainless

I'd only use the wire wool/scotch brite on the inside black dirty part

then something like autosol polish on the shiny outside of the tail pipe

cheers

Joe

7 hours ago, Claws said:

Fair enough Peter, Joe, you guy's will know a lot more than me

I'll give them ago

Thanks Andy

i get it now, I'll have to have a listen as well now 

Regards

Steve

Try Cillit bang limescale & shine...Spray and then a light rub with a none scratch 'white' nylon scouring pad..leave for half an hour..An extra quick spray then wash with a cloth and water..no effort no scratching and the parts shine like new (Works great also on wheels,Spot lamp backs, Rusty bumpers & hubcaps ect)

Update

Well at the weekend she had her first proper outing for an hour, since I changed the boxes, here are my thoughts so far! I mean no offence to those who have, and love their sports boxes, this is simply just my opinion about theses boxes on my car at Low speed 30 / 40 / 50 quite loud inside, sounded similar to an exhaust with a hole in it, and quite echo-ee (if there is such a word) like a hatch back without the parcel shelf in place (I understand your comment now Russ) The car did get a few heads turned I must admit.

Anyway onto the motorway, higher speeds not as noticeable, you could hear the note change, when kicked down, then almost silent when just cruising.

SWMBO as expected gave her opinion, she didn’t mind the extra noise??? Which I actually found quite surprising.

I mentioned I was considering swapping back to the original boxes, she basically looked at me like I was stupid or something, and as they (women) quite often do, stated the obvious, the ‘New’ boxes are in much better condition than the old, so why would you do that?  

Anyhow there you go, not to make a drama out of it, but my first impressions, to put it in a nutshell, I think she has lost some of her finesse, she roars, rather than purr’s and I don’t know which I prefer.

Again my apologies if I have offended anyone, absolutely not my intention

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sounds like a bit of a disaster mate! Well, I'm a man of my word and will take them off your hands :yes:

Let me know if you decide to swap them back :wink:

Cheers, Russ

Well I am surprised!

These boxes which are from well known jag performance parts supplier and I would of thought they would more refined.  These boxes are the same ones for all v8 models I hate to think how noisy they would be!

Sorry to say it but I'm happy I sold them to you!