STRANGE ONE

Gordy

So did a trip today 130 miles mostly motorway poped into a jet wash left the engine running after 10 mins went to pull away and it would not move out of park turned the engine off tried to restart and nothing all electrics worked but would not turn over at all so called the RAC  after waiting 20 mins tried again and she started but parking break fault came up but it worked fine turned off again and she restarted and no warnings and has been fine since  any idea's guys

7 hours ago, Andy the tyre man said:

You've probably jet washed water into the boot.

might have but no wetness I checked but why would that make it stick in park when the engine was running all the time

Hi Gordon,

I get the park brake fault notification sometimes when it is cold and wet.   Even though the engine was running the park brake can stick on.

I avoid jet washing, as I was advised to quite a few years ago as it was said that it could damage paintwork.

Regards, 

Peter.

Obviously water got into the electrics somewhere, most probably under the bonnet rather than in the boot. If it happens again you could try blowing the electrics dry with compressed air but the danger is you'll blow water into even further places.  If it continues to be a problem try covering the fuse boxes and other electrics under the bonnet with plastic sheeting before washing the car, BUT don't let the plastic touch any hot places, and don't forget to remove it all afterwards. Personally I don't use Car wash stations, either the jetwash or the brush type as either can damage paintwork.  A friend once had a rear window wiper arm pulled off by a car wash brush and it proceeded to slash around and around all across the roof before he could stop it and the car was almost brand new!  Best to use a soft sponge and warm soapy water and wash by hand.

I've had similar issues with problems starting after heavy rain, although it was 6 months apart.

The engine eventually starts, so it must only be a dampness issue, but where to start is another question.

First time was when driving, stopping and trying to start the engine again, but the 2nd time was when it had been sitting in my work's car park all day in heavy rain.

21 hours ago, red-z said:

Obviously water got into the electrics somewhere, most probably under the bonnet rather than in the boot. If it happens again you could try blowing the electrics dry with compressed air but the danger is you'll blow water into even further places.  If it continues to be a problem try covering the fuse boxes and other electrics under the bonnet with plastic sheeting before washing the car, BUT don't let the plastic touch any hot places, and don't forget to remove it all afterwards. Personally I don't use Car wash stations, either the jetwash or the brush type as either can damage paintwork.  A friend once had a rear window wiper arm pulled off by a car wash brush and it proceeded to slash around and around all across the roof before he could stop it and the car was almost brand new!  Best to use a soft sponge and warm soapy water and wash by hand.

No I don't think it had anything to do with water as it also happened 2 days latter after another long trip in very good weather and i don't use the jet wash normally its just it needed a clean and I was away for the weekend

So if water is not the cause, and the motor does not turn over, then it may be a fault in the starter motor or the solenoid.  Funny that it should only happen after long trips, maybe extra heat is the issue. 

Does the electric park brake allow you to select drive with the handbrake applied?  Just thinking that if it has a fail safe if it "thinks" the park brake is on it won't allow drive to be selected. Similarly if it "thinks" the park brake is not applied when you attempt to start it may refuse. What I'm coming too is perhaps it's something that's got blown into the park brake sensors that's causing this?  May explain the heat issue while it's been on a run perhaps? 

hi

you can select drive with the park brake on or off

because you don't have to release the park brake, you just hit the accelerator and the park brake will release itself, when in drive

and also you can start the car with the parking brake off, if its in park.

the car will only start in park or neutral, it could be a j gate cable or sensor fault

if the P or N is lit on the j gate it should start

next time it wont start, try moving in to neutral, N should be lit, see if it starts

next time it wont start, try moving the j-gate stick, with the ignition on the P should flash, if it flashes, it knows its in park and should start

cheers

joe

12 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

you can select drive with the park brake on or off

because you don't have to release the park brake, you just hit the accelerator and the park brake will release itself, when in drive

and also you can start the car with the parking brake off, if its in park.

the car will only start in park or neutral, it could be a j gate cable or sensor fault

if the P or N is lit on the j gate it should start

next time it wont start, try moving in to neutral, N should be lit, see if it starts

next time it wont start, try moving the j-gate stick, with the ignition on the P should flash, if it flashes, it knows its in park and should start

cheers

joe

No when It did happen you could not move  the gear leaver at all just made a beep when you tried have been told it may be the injectors as I do a lot of small trips back and forth to work 4 miles each way and she dose not warm up was told the injectors may be clogging up then on a long trip thy get hot and expand and when I come to start they wont let enough fuel through then as it cool's they let the fuel through don't know how true this may be.

Hi

next time try moving the j gate to neutral

if you press and hold the foot brake, the j gate will go to neutral, then try to start it

make sure the park brake is on, as it could roll, as you take it out of park

cheers

joe

The transmission gear changes, Oil pressure and lock-up operation are all electronically controlled. The TCM
receives electrical signals from sensors indicating vehicle speed and throttle opening. In response to these signals the TCM selects the
appropriate gear and regulates other related conditions.
Actual transmission control changes are made by actuators (solenoids) that respond to input signals received from the TCM. These
solenoids operate in response to electrical signals they regulate the control valve operation. The control valves cause changes in the fluid
flow passages. This results in pressure changes within the transmission. if possible link up to the TCM as this may give you the result your looking for, but you need the correct software in which to do this! best of luck on this issue.

16 minutes ago, david moore said:

The transmission gear changes, oil pressure and lock-up operation are all electronically controlled. The TCM
receives electrical signals from sensors indicating vehicle speed and throttle opening. In response to these signals the TCM selects the
Actual transmission control changes are made by actuators (solenoids) that respond to input signals received from the TCM. These
solenoids operate in response to electrical signals they regulate the control valve operation. The control valves cause changes in the fluid
flow passages. This results in pressure changes within the transmission. if possible link up to the TCM as this may give you the result your looking for, but you need the correct software in which to do this! best of luck on this issue.

That will be a know then, have put a couple of cans of injector cleaner in once that's gone through will see what its like not too worried about transmission thing as soon as the car starts its all fine  if it persists may try a Tera Clean but for now I can live with it as long as it gets no worse.

16 minutes ago, david moore said:

The transmission gear changes, oil pressure and lock-up operation are all electronically controlled. The TCM

Nice reply, That how the gearbox works, But what it got do with why the car wont start???

I think the only way your going to find this, is by plugging in with diagnostic software

It could one of many things, but only sure way is to plug in when the fault there,

could anything, could be a sticky j-gate interlock, cable from j-gate to auto box not adjusted correctly, brake pedal switch

will have a look if i can find any more info

cheers

joe

14 minutes ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Nice reply, That how the gearbox works, But what it got do with why the car wont start???

I think the only way your going to find this, is by plugging in with diagnostic software

It could one of many things, but only sure way is to plug in when the fault there,

could anything, could be a sticky j-gate interlock, cable from j-gate to auto box not adjusted correctly, brake pedal switch

will have a look if i can find any more info

cheers

joe

I agree Joe the none starting thing is what I want sorting as the gearbox is fine

3 minutes ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

I would say your missing a sensor or signal thats saying the car not ready to start

will try to find a fault procedure in the s-type manual, might say what to check for

cheers

Do you think the blocked injector's thing is possible cause as it has only happened when hot.