The latest retro-fit

Raistlin

Denis and I were trawling through a breaker's yard when we found an early S-Type with Premium Sound. So we decided to have a go at retro-fitting it to Denis' car.

In principle, it seemed a reasonably easy retro-fit but it didn't end up so. In hindsight, I should have consulted the wiring diagrams before we started buying the bits and pieces.

Having retro-fitted several Premium Sound installations to later cars, I assumed that there would be only one amplifier, the bass sub-woofer amp. Ha, but I was wrong. There was another one called the "Centre FIll" amplifier. I didn't find this out until I got home and checked the wiring diagrams. We were also missing the "Centre Fill" speakers as well. Those are the two speakers mounted low down on the dash roughly at knee level and, to be fair, they claimed the lion's share of the grief for this retro-fit.

We had the door speakers, head unit, rear parcel shelf sub-woofer unit with integral amp and we found that the wiring for the amp was in situ, tucked into a wiring loom. The door speakers use the same connectors and the plug for the Premium Sound head unit was found behind the centre console. It all plugged in and worked. The only problem at that stage was the fact that Denis' interior is black and the head unit we had was beige so it took some surgery on both head units to recover the black front panel and fit it to the Premium Sound head unit, replacing the DSP switch at the same time. Not difficult but a little bit fiddly getting it all back together with the cassette door lid correctly sprung.

For information, the Premium Sound head unit has the "Premium Sound" text across the upper edge of the head unit and also has a "DSP" (digital signal processing) button.

At this stage we were aware that there were no Centre Fill components but nonetheless, it all seemed to work, including the DSP.

Eventually, after much searching and asking of questions we found out that the Centre Fill amp was located way up in the dash cavity just to the right of the steering wheel.

Our concern now was the fitting of the Centre Fill speakers. Neither of us was confident of cutting the original dash to leave the oval holes and mounting points for the speakers. We were aware of a black Premium Sound car at a breaker's yard in Mansfield so decided to try replacing the whole dashboard rather than cutting out the speaker holes. A dashboard from an S-Type JUST fits in the back seat, albeit with a few worrying creaks and squeaks but no damage to my car in transporting the beast from Mansfield to Wolverhampton.

Let me tell you, changing out the dashboard is not a minor undertaking and if it wasn't for Denis' dogged persistence, then I think we would have been defeated. Eventually though, he got the dashboard fitted despite my well-meaning "assistance" and, subjectively at least, I thought the Centre Fill speakers made a big difference, even seeming to emphasize the sub-woofer "bassiness".  The DSP function certainly makes a great deal of difference to the ambiance of the sound as well.

Was it worth the overall effort? I'm not at all sure I can give you an answer. It was a lot of work for poor old Denis, changing the dashboard over, and although it definitely sounds better to my ears, how much of that is placebo effect I don't know. However, in the final analysis I don't think it compares with the Premium Sound system fitted to the later vehicles and, even worse. It DOESN'T have the "Alpine" badges mounted in the door speaker grilles. In fact, I'm pretty sure that those badges are what makes the later version sound so much better :wink::whistling1:

Anyway, if you're contemplating it you will need:-

Premium Sound enabled Head unit

Rear parcel shelf including speakers grilles with sub-woofer box and integral amplifier

All four door speakers

Two centre fill speakers

Centre fill amplifier.

All the wiring and connectors are in situ so no additional wiring needed.

• Like 1

Well done Sir! Changing out a dashboard for the sake of your audio is quite a commitment! I'm intending to embark on a similar route at some point in the future, but I'm planning on using a double din DAB head unit with DAB. Sourcing the premium sound parcel shelf with amp and then upgrading all the speakers to good quality aftermarket ones, and possibly upgrading the speaker cable if it's not up to scratch, but I probably won't bother with the centre amp and mids. Thanks for trailblazing these retro fits, if OK I may pick your brains about it closer to the time :wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership