Xj 8 running sluggish

David1965

The 2001 xj8 I bought last week is a bit sluggish, oress the accelerator and it seems to take an age to respond.

Jag mechanic said it will need a new maf meter. This is expensive so hoping someone has alternative ideas why its sliw to take off.

Hi David

when she gets going is the engine responsive? do you know if your car has the nikasil or steel cylinder linings? not wishing to be the harbinger of doom and gloom (you haven't had much luck lately) but I would consider pressure testing your cylinders if only to discount that as a possible problem

Its fairly responsive when In the higher rev range but takes a while to Respond from low down.

I believe it is the steel lined engine due to it being a 2001 model, i believe the nickasil was produced 99-00.

Will be putting a new air filter  in today and cleaning maf sensor.

Wasn't to sure about the date range, ref the nickasil problem, when you say 'sluggish' does the engine rev okay, but not pull away as you would expect? I'm trying to isolate were the problem may be,  Is it engine / gearbox / clutch, that type of thing, I have to say I don't know what a Maf sensor is, so can't help with that, are you getting any dashboard warning lights? Probably not as you would have mentioned.

I am presuming she is auto, have you tried using the gears manually? To see if it improves on the sluggish-ness? Could be perhaps be a gear selector selecting to high? If that makes sense

My weakness is i know diddly about electrics, so always blame hard mechanical components for problems, so of course I maybe completely wide of the mark 

Anyhow good luck David, and of course keep us informed 

Best regards 

Steve

I have cleaned mass air fliw sensor and put in new air filter and there is a slight improvement. It still sliw from about 30 but ok further up.

I plugged my OBD in to the car even though I have no lights on the dash 

It came up with the fault code P1111.

Screenshot_2016-05-09-15-57-34.png

So not realky sure what this issue is,  hopefully someone can let me know.

I haven't tried manually changing the gears but i will tomorrow.

Hi David

I just want to repeat what I said before I know 'diddly' about electrics, so hopefully the guys will jump in if this information is completely wrong!

The first two lines are from Jaguars own literature, but I downloaded info for an S type 2003, but also applies to the following

V8 N/A and V8 SC 2003 Model Year I'm not an expert, but to me they don't seem serious? the strange one is line 4

If DTC P1111 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE BEEN COMPLETED

P1111 EMS JAG System (OBD) checks complete since last memory clear System Readiness Test

P1111 System Pass

P1111 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage.... which seems odd when the others seem to be of no concern, and are the same code!

Anyway, a bit more for you From 'Bluejag.co.uk' this info is about an x type code, but I presume a similar code would / could apply across the Jaguar range? it would also explain why your dashboard gave no warning light

Jaguar FAULT Code P1111

OBD SYSTEM READINESS – ENGINE MANAGEMENT Jaguar Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1111 is flagged after all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE BEEN COMPLETED

Jaguar Fault code P1111 will NOT illuminate the Jaguar Check Engine Light (MIL light), however it will be indicated on a DTC Reader. If you reset your Engine management fault codes using a DTC Reader you will innitiate the engine drive cycle tests again and the system will flag DTC P1000

Every time you start the car and go through a complete drive cycle (10,000 revolutions of the motor and the motor up to temp), it is logged. after 5 complete drive cycles, the next starting of the engine, unless already reset the engine management light (MIL) will go out. If a further problem is sensed by the computer, the MIL will illuminate and the process will repeat.

ref DTC P1000

If DTC P1000 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETED

Some more info on what a drive cycle is (again from Bluejag.co.uk)

The Engine Management and Transmission Control systems are continuously checked during vehicle operation by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities.

Powertrain OBD incorporates six diagnostic monitors. Each monitor has an associated group of DTCs. The diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service “drive cycle” is carried out.

The six diagnostic monitors are as follows:

To ensure that an OBD Monitor drive cycle is completed (P1111 indication) and that all or specific components have been checked by completing a specified drive cycle. Click on the OBD area above for details, of the specified "drive cycle".

here is the link to their website if that's easier

http://www.bluejag.co.uk/OBD-Diagnostic-Monitor.php

Thanks for the reply. I have cleared the p1111 code as it says and got the code p1000 as it said it would.

So not really to sure where to go from here. I'll try and find out what the  intake air  temp  sensor is though.