XKR-S thoughts

Hi folks,

Just joined as as I haven't purchased the car yet. 

After owning a 911 turbo, corvette z06, GTR, tuscan and a noble m400, I'm after something usable for long weekends away regardless of weather (unlike the vette, TVR and noble) and exciting/interesting to drive with a bit of theatre (unlike the 911 and GTR!) Ive always liked the look of a signature blue xkr-s and feel it might fulfil the brief. I've driven a standard 5.0 xkr and whilst I liked it, it was a little too GT for me. The S has that extra edge and individuality.

Anyway, depreciation is a concern. Correct me if I'm wrong: the earliest cars are currently a smudge under £50k -  has this not been the case for a while now?? I'm sure I looked 12 months ago and found the same thing. Do you fellas think these cars will hold their value reasonably well?

Thanks for any insights.

Niall

• 4 weeks later...

No you should definitely not buy one.... they are psychotic beasts that will try to kill you any time you take off the traction control and there is no way you can accelerate more than an inch down in the wet unless you leave the lifesaver mode on.  And you have to enjoy the twitch-slide on kickdown at 70mph in the dry. Instant speeding ticket machine :wallbash:

But you have had some other interesting machines, and it does leave a massive permanent grin any time you drive it...... and it goes round corners with a certain elegance... I'd say go for it  - expect around 45k for a 2012, worth every penny :yahoo: thumb.php?api=SYNO.PhotoStation.Thumb&me

No you should definitely not buy one.... they are psychotic beasts that will try to kill you any time you take off the traction control and there is no way you can accelerate more than an inch down in the wet unless you leave the lifesaver mode on.  And you have to enjoy the twitch-slide on kickdown at 70mph in the dry. Instant speeding ticket machine :wallbash:

But you have had some other interesting machines, and it does leave a massive permanent grin any time you drive it...... and it goes round corners with a certain elegance... I'd say go for it  - expect around 45k for a 2012, worth every penny :yahoo: thumb.php?api=SYNO.PhotoStation.Thumb&method=get&version=1&size=large&id=photo_436172732f323031362d30362d31322050726573636f7474_323031362d30362d31322031342d33372d33362e4a5047&rotate_version=0&thumb_sig=2f766f6c756d65312f70686f746f2f436172732f323031362d30362d31322050726573636f74742f323031362d30362d31322031342d33372d33362e4a5047&mtime=1465892930

Apologies to OP for off topic, is the picture taken at the Prescott hill climb?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After having bought a First Edition F Pace in April, my heartstrings still yearned for the XKR-S that I sold in 2014. In between I had an F Type V8, and whilst it never failed to bring a smile to my face, it somehow lacked that something special that I remembered from the XKR-S.

Back to the F Pace - I jumped in when my local dealer mentioned he had been allocated an additional FE, so I thought it would be a good compromise between a sporting car and a practical family wagon. In fairness, it really is a great all rounder - Grace, Pace and Space - and in many ways was the perfect "compromise". Unfortunately, I don't really like compromises and would rather have flawed idealism! In addition, unsurprisingly for a brand new model, my car suffered from numerous launch teething troubles - particularly annoying was the rear suspension creak. 

As the teething problems continued, it made me think that perhaps I should search for my flawed perfection - and low and behold, sitting on a forecourt not more that 30 miles away, was a 64 plate Italian racing red XKR-S. After popping over, driving and checking the car out, I part exchanged the F Pace (for the full purchase price - not often any car does not depreciate over 5k miles), for her. 

1 week in, and I am smitten! 

Everything I remember and more about how fantastic this car is comes back with every journey. My friend (an F Type Coupe owner) thinks I am mad, and should have got the more modern car, however, despite the ageing sat nav / infotainment screen, the interior is so much more special that the F Type, and the quality miles better. Whilst the overall handling is not quite as sharp, I believe the GT bias suits my driving more, and boy oh boy, on some of the fantastic North Yorkshire roads nearby, does she fly. 

My children love it, unless they are cramped in the back, my wife loves it - except when I can't take the children and her anywhere in it, and everyone that sees it makes positive comments. 

Over the next week or so, I will take some pictures and write up a few "road test" notes. To the OP, if you are still thinking about taking the plunge, do it - whilst I don't think depreciation is going to be an issue, I would not put that at the front of the decision making process - the smiles per £ lost are irreplaceable.