Does the boot brake light actually work on XK

Hi.

I've been told that the boot braking strip light on the spoiler isn't working, and on checking it isn't.

However I can't find any mention of it or any fuses or bulbs/leds in the handbook.

Does it actually work?

Thanks.

Graham.

I've noticed that I can pry off two lugs either side to reveal two screws, unfortunately they're hex screws and I don't have one small enough!

I'm now wondering if it is a complete unit change. Any ideas anyone?

Hi Graham,

Yes - it should be working. Have had a quick look and cannot see any fuses for this light but from the workshop manual I've found this page on how to remove it - may be worth opening it up and putting a separate power feed to it to see if its still working. It sounds like a main connection though - I believe the light unit is made up from separate LEDs and it would be unlikely that all the LEDs would go out at the same time.

Have a look at the attached extract - then if you need some more info let me know.

Jhdee

Rear Upper Stop Lamp Removal.pdf

• Like 1

Hi John,

Always good to hear from you, how's the XKR doing? Someone said a XK was like going up on a escalator, whilst a XKR is like going up in a high speed lift!

I've been to the main dealer. It's one complete unit at just under £100. It's held in by the torx screws. I don't however have the correct tool.

I'm waiting to see if it's covered by my extended warranty, if not I'll see if I can buy the necessary tool.

I've accessed your link, is the tailgate panel held on by two screws and then gently prised off?

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Graham.

Hi Graham, 

Have dug out the instructions for removal of the tailgate interior trim - 3 pages attached. You will need to be very careful with the push fit trim clips - they are EXTREMELY easy to break.

Have just remembered I have a spare aero kit spoiler somewhere in my garage - I will dig it out and have a look at how the wiring is routed and try and get some photos that may help.

Have seen used LED lights units for sale on eBay for £50 - so may be worth a look - but I still think it may be a connector/power supply/fuse type problem as all the LEDs are out.

Cheers

Jhdee

Tailgate Lower Trim Removal 2.pdf

Tailgate Lower Trim Removal 1.pdf

Tailgate Upper Trim Removal.pdf

Hi Jhdee'

Thanks for all the info. Don't go to any more trouble. I've seen the eBay item also but am counting on the job being covered under extended warranty.

I agree that it sounds like a connection problem or fuse etc. I'll just bite the bullet and pay if not covered. The trouble is the main dealer usually asks for over a £100 to diagnose then for part and fitting. If they do it may be better to just say "no diagnosis, just fit a new part". I've never known garages asking to pay for diagnoses before! I'm still mulling that over.

I'm assuming it's an MOT failure if the item is not working.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Typical of main dealers these days - my son has a Volvo with extended guarantee and an airbag light came on recently. Took it to the Volvo main dealer - got charged £79 for diagnostics check and then told is wasn't covered by warranty as it was "a loose wire" - ended up with a bill of almost £200 !!! - absolute scam as far as I'm concerned and the best thing is that the light has now come back on again !!! 

Next time he visits the dealer I'm going with him with my baseball bat with Attitude Adjuster written down the side - only joking - honestly officer :whistling::wink::thumbsup:

The high level brake out is a MOT failure for sure but based on my son's recent adventure - so is an airbag light !! Do you have a MOT warranty with your car ?? I managed to talk them into one when i bought the XKR.

Hope you get a sensible answer from the dealer.

Best regards

John D

PS - I forgot to mention the XKR - yes there is quite a difference between my old 4.2 XK and my 5.0 XKR - the scenery seems to be on fast forward. Its certainly more demanding to drive in wet conditions - and living in Wales that means most of the time !!! - but I wouldn't change it for the world - totally satisfied :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Due to an illness in the family, I've only just managed to get an auto-electrician to take a look at the brake light, and to be honest it's thrown up more questions than answers.

Firstly he proved that the unit was not at fault by somehow managing to get it to light up. However it was only getting a feed of approx 8.5V and didn't appear to work off the depressing of the footbrake. He's said it ,may work off a CanBus system and wondered if it worked in relation to speed, or as an emergency warning brake.

I rang the dealership, who weren't overly helpful, and said the 8.5V was  a 'short'. My man said it wasn't.

It's been left as it is (not working) because 1) it's not an MOT fail, 2) It may never have worked, and 3) It may entail taking it to the dealership and having it 'tuned in'.

All very confusing!!!

Anyone got any further thoughts?

Thanks.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Afraid I can't help with the 8.5 volt situation but as regards of it not being an MOT failure  - I would be careful.

The MOT test manual says that any additional brake light (such as your spoiler light) fitted as standard must be functional IF CONNECTED.

Some testers will fail it, some will pass with an advisory and others will give the benefit of the doubt that if no LED lights up then the unit is not connected and hence a straight pass.

I have actually experienced all 3 options with a previous vehicle - and no I won't mention what it was because I'm too ashamed :whistling::w00t:

John D

Hi John D,

Thanks for your input, I'm at the dealers tomorrow and will ask their advice. The car has an ownership long free mot  and passed last year.

I'm assuming the light wasn't working then but passed.

Cheers,

Graham.

• 1 year later...

Hi Graham,

Not sure if you came right with your issue,  but I thought I would  to throw my tuppence in here in case anyone else had similar issues. I have had one or two small similar issues with various lamps (number plate and luggage compartment specifically) and after checking that the lamps were OK went on a search for the fuses. Turns out that not all of the electrical circuits are fed via fuses but quite a few are switched via MOSFET devices a type of field effect transistor (i.e. electronic switch).

Try disconnecting the vehicles battery for three minutes, reconnect and check to see if your lamps are now working. Worked for my 2009 XKR Portfolio (twice!)

Nice cheap fix, less than the price of a fuse !

Cheers

Andy