s type sill trim

dekse

hi anyone know the size of the plastic scrivets that hold the sill trims on, i will replce them with new ones,      and how to get them out mine just turn around but won't come out.      car passed mot but the guy reckons the sills are corroded,   but he can't see them properly for the trims,   so it's an advisory,       i am going to take the trims off and have a look, any advice.        thanks, dek.

18 minutes ago, dekse said:

nice one joe, how do you get them out?

hi

the old ones when you have removed the covers, some tend to snap, there in two parts

I use some trim pliers to pop them out of the sill, along with a terminal screw driver, to sqeeze the holding tabs

the new ones come clipped together, so you just slide them into the cover and push them onto the sill, when you remove the cover next time the white part stays in the sill

I use one of these and it has many other uses

ScreenShot312.jpg

cheers

Joe

42 minutes ago, Claws said:

I found this site, seems like a lot of different clips / hose connectors to choose from 

http://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Clips

May be of some use to someone 

Steve

Hi

the ones in the top of that link are one piece, so once you have clipped them in, you will have to break them to get them out and possibly break the sill cover

the jaguar/ford ones are a 2 piece, they have a white bit that stays in the sill and a black part, that slots into the sill cover, it has a ball on it that clicks into the white bit, they will come back apart for a few years till they go brittle  and break on you

cheers

Joe

ScreenShot314.jpg

well i took both sill covers off and the outer sills are both corroded badly right through near the back, holes big enough to get your fist through, and plenty of rust the whole length of them..  can't believe it passed the mot yesterday, what should i do to repair them? i reckon it's been like that for years. the cars 13. but looks pretty new otherwise

Derek

find your self a body shop local to you, get her booked in and see what they say, and. / or go to a Jaguar main dealer but keep hold of your wallet!

shame you don't have pictures 

Steve

hi

have a look here http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/13904-a-nasty-shock/#comment-41141

do a proper job, like paul had done on his

then you can forget about it for years, do a proper job

your sills are structural and play a massive role if you have a accident, whether you walk away from it or not

available on eBay or a good garage will knock them up as required          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-S-Type-Sills-Zintec-Weld-On-Laser-Profiled-Sills-P-Side-D-Side-/131864911039?hash=item1eb3c2dcbf:g:PZQAAOSwyjBW3Ys5

cheers

Joe

Derek, it's a bit of a shock isn't it?

You'll see how I felt if you've read the link that Joe gave you above.

A pair of outer sills will cost you roughly £150 from fleabay. That's where I got mine and they were perfectly adequate.

The problems may start when the repairs start and more ugliness is uncovered.

As Joe says, they are structural and are an integral part of your car's bodyshell strength, being of monocoque construction, the integrity of the whole system will be compromised.

I know you are in Cheshire but if you'd be prepared to travel to Stafford I could put you in touch with the chap who did mine.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll let you know his contact details... also the price he charged which, for a week's work, was excellent value.

Bad luck Derek but could be worse! Many thanks to Joe for the links, I have the tool and clips in my basket waiting to pay. I've selected both types of clips mentioned, along with some for the door cards, are there any other trim clips worth getting while I'm about it? Thanks :wink:

hi steve and russ, , steve the 8 black scrivets along the bottom edge would not unscrew, i levered them out about a millimeter with a flat blade screwdriver, and pulled them out with long nosed pliers, some might be re-usable, but you will need at least 10 new ones to replace some with. when you get these out, release the front mudguard from the arch if fitted as this is part of the cover, and then place a good soft cover or piece of old carpet the full length of the sill cover below it on the deck, because you might snap it in half if it falls, it's very flimsy. pull it outwards towards you from the rear firmly but don't bend it., the clips that hold it on are horizontal, it will slowly snap off along the length. good luck and i hope yours is ok. but i wouldn't bet on it. russ i didn't need the tool as above and no just 2 sets of clips like joe says. good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks Derek, I'm not going to take mine off until after the Jag show on the 24th. I'm somewhat worried about opening that can of worms after hearing about yours and Paul's TBH! I've been meaning to have the door cards off, so I'm sure the trim tools will be of use, and inexpensive in any case...

Cheers Derek

very helpful info, its appreciated. I'm still trying to find the clips waiting on Rimmer bros to get back to me, off topic I was trying to find Hexsert fittings so I can fit my CDC in the boot at some point, thankfully they have found them and the bolts at long last

regards

Steve

8 minutes ago, Claws said:

, off topic I was trying to find Hexsert fittings so I can fit my CDC in the boot at some point,

Wish I'd known Steve I could have given you enough to do the job :(