Going to view an S-Type

Borg Warner

take the the car for a test drive, and i mean a test drive! get the car up to normal running temp, then press and check all heating controls so hot inside car, down to cold. then check air con, same again hot/cold.  all electrics should work! ?   when safe to do this do a hard brake test, feel if car pulls to any side or judders?  speed bumps go over those and listen for any knocks,squeaks, rattles, thuds,  steering when giving full lock on both sides listen for knocks, thuds, squeaks,  also check when cornering if any feed back through steering wheel, door seals as the car is 16yrs old and all rubbers! big one to is the underneath of the car RUST....  just a few things there to help. by the way nice looking jaaaaag.

• Like 1

Hi Gary

make sure the engine sounds sweet, no rattles coming from top end

4.0 had issues with timing chains and tensioners, which failed, see if its got any history if they have been replaced

if its a 4.2, then its ok, it was only 4.0l engines

also I'd let it get warm and make sure the fans kick in, some had issues with fans and over heating, coolant should be nice and clean and a pinky/orange color

also check it drives nice no knock or clunks, if its been driven sporty, they can get through bushes

and also sills, sills, sills.

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

That is very, very strong money for a 4.0 V8 !

I appreciate that the low mileage is a big attraction but there will be some nice 4.2 versions around for similar money.

General opinion is that the later cars from 2002 onwards are a vast improvement over the early S-Type.

The 4.2 is a better engine with fewer problems, the 6 speed ZF auto is far nicer to drive than the 5 speed and the interior is a world apart !

This is only my opinion but I feel reasonably qualified to comment as I have been selling Jaguars since 2002 when the S-Type facelift was launched.

For not much more than the £4k asking price you could get a higher mileage S-Type R !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Voices said:

That is very, very strong money for a 4.0 V8 !

I appreciate that the low mileage is a big attraction but there will be some nice 4.2 versions around for similar money.

General opinion is that the later cars from 2002 onwards are a vast improvement over the early S-Type.

The 4.2 is a better engine with fewer problems, the 6 speed ZF auto is far nicer to drive than the 5 speed and the interior is a world apart !

This is only my opinion but I feel reasonably qualified to comment as I have been selling Jaguars since 2002 when the S-Type facelift was launched.

For not much more than the £4k asking price you could get a higher mileage S-Type R !

This is very true, The 4.2 is a better engine and will have much better spec and there should be a few with similar millage

cheers

Joe

That's very intersting guys, I'm hoping to view it the weekend, if I can shake off a very painful ear infection.  Must remember I'm in no rush and there are plenty of them about for me to pick.

I'll let people know how I get on.

Gary M

I had a look at the link on Autotrader and the description is 4.0 V8 Sport, I would expect it to have 17" alloys or above but it has the standard 16" (Dynamic ?) alloys found on the 3.0 SE ?

You really need to drive the 4.2 before the 4.0 and you will really notice the difference.

• Like 1

hi

I did mention timing chains and tensioners

tensioners on 4.0 v8 were plastic, they went brittle, fell bits and could basically destroy a good engine

later ones were metal, as used on all the 4.2's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TuxQxwL2WA

some early 4.0 v8's also suffered with the nicasil coating coming off the cylinder bores, which can also destroys the engine ( nicasil is like a hard chrome plating which is electroplated on the aluminium bores, you get longer lasting bores and less piston resistance as the piston rings dont need to be as tight in the bores to seal, so more power and durability, generally used on all aluminium engines and aluminium sleeve type bores, but some early 4.0 the nicasil failed and peeled in the bores.)

the 4.0 had a few issue's, but all these were addressed when the 4.2. was released.

don't get me wrong the 4.0 is a good engine if sorted, but the 4.2 is better out of the box.

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Sorry just seen this.  I haven't been, but I still may.  I've decided to sell my ZT first, but with a twist??

Little bit of background.  In March of last year my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, she's now doing well I am glad to say.  To say it has been a difficult time is an understatement.  Like most people I would like to put something back into the system that has helped us, most folks go for a 10k run or jump out of a perfectly serviceable plane and ask friends, relatives and neighbours to sponser them a few quid.  Unfortunately my own health issues, chronic asthmatic and a replacement hip, exclude me from taking up such dangerous exploits.  So I'm going to auction off the ZT with ALL proceeds going to Breast Cancer Care.  It's not worth a huge amount, certainly not £1000's, whatever it makes will go to the charity.

When sold I may still go and have a look, it's still there and no movement on the price.  Who knows if, with no P/ex, I might get it down to something nearer its true worth - whatever that is?

Gary M.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that your good lady is doing well, auctioning the ZT is a fantastic gesture.

It might be worth putting details on the Rover/MG forums to help get the best price to benefit the charity ?

Let me know if I can be of any help when you are ready to take another look at a Jaguar.

The 4.0 V8 looks a reasonable car in the photos but would need to be a lot more than 'reasonable' for me to pay £4k.

A 4.2 or S-Type R would be the way forward for me ?

10 hours ago, The Voices said:

Glad to hear that your good lady is doing well, auctioning the ZT is a fantastic gesture.

It might be worth putting details on the Rover/MG forums to help get the best price to benefit the charity ?

Let me know if I can be of any help when you are ready to take another look at a Jaguar.

The 4.0 V8 looks a reasonable car in the photos but would need to be a lot more than 'reasonable' for me to pay £4k.

A 4.2 or S-Type R would be the way forward for me ?

I just hope it goes for a good price, I'll be giving a clean and polish today and take the photo's, been suggested that I put it up for .99p with no reserve.  Bit nervous about that I must admit.  It should be on Thursday night for a 10 day auction finishing on a Sunday at around 08:00.  I might put  a reserve on it, knowing my luck it will go for 30bob.

Out of curiosity if I did go for the car what figure would you suggest?

Gary M.  

Hi Gary, I would 'spread the word' about the auction on a few car forums so that people realise it is for such a good cause.

The 'trade' value on the 4.0 V8 would be peanuts (even with the low mileage), probably £1500 or less, we recently gave £750 for a reasonable 2000 registered 4.0 V8 that had done about 60k.

It is worth what someone is willing to pay, myself I don't rate the pre-facelift S-Type at all (poor interior, poor gearbox, handbrake that is in the wrong place, etc) but a great car if they are cheap !

Putting my prejudices aside, I would be looking to pay no more than £2500 if it is a really nice example but I am still convinced that it is not a Sport version (not a big deal but sellers who can't describe the vehicle accurately annoy me !)

It would also need to have very good service history to get top money.

You really need to drive the 4.2 version (all 4.2's are the facelift model with 6 speed box and electronic park brake) it is a world apart from the early version.

Will this particular 4.0 be a collectors item one day because of the low mileage, who knows ?

• Like 1

I've posted my car for sale on one of the ZT F/B pages.  I've been knocked out by the support people have shown for what I'm doing.  I don't know what I will do at present as I'm of the script as they say.

Thanks for the advice, it is most appreciated.

Gary M.

I have just bought a cheap S-Type R and believe me the V8 is in a different league !

3.0 V6 is a great all rounder, 4.2 V8 is smoother and has an extra 60bhp, STR is 400 bhp and lots of fun !

Hope the charity auction gained a respectable sum ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Voices said:

I have just bought a cheap S-Type R and believe me the V8 is in a different league !

3.0 V6 is a great all rounder, 4.2 V8 is smoother and has an extra 60bhp, STR is 400 bhp and lots of fun !

Hope the charity auction gained a respectable sum ?

I put it on one of the marque's F/B pages saying that the proceeds would be going to the charity.  Got something of an overwhelming response, thankfully someone came along, viewed it and agreed to the price, he's picking it up next week after he returns from his jollies.  Will be sort of sad to see it go, had for just over 6 years, at one point was looking to keep it for some considerable time.  It drove a treat when I went to work in last week - no second thoughts though.  Well......

See it as a win win.  The charity benefits, I feel like I have put something back to those who have helped, the car goes to an enthusiast and I'm in a good position to negotiate a deal on a make I have longed for since I was knee high to a grasshopper as they say.  Just need to be a little patient.

Gary M.

PS my wife prefers the early interiors.......

Glad the auction went well and for such a worthy cause.

Most people are not keen on the early S-Type interiors, not very 'Jaguar' ?

I would go to look at as many as you can to get a view of the best and the worst that is out there.

Drive the 3.0, 4.0 and 4.2 if possible, you will know when you find the 'right' car.

• Like 1

Still on the look out, problem seems to be two-fold.  1, I seem to be at work all the time, got tomorrow of then another 6 maybe 7 days.  2, cars that tick the box all seem to be a days drive away.  However this caight my eye:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608126746630?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&fuel-type=petrol&transmission=automatic&radius=1500&searchcontext=default&sort=default&postcode=ip141lf&page=20&body-type=saloon&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=1

Until I saw it was a CATD

Are there any issues with 3.0lts?  Guess the 2.5s are a little underpowered for the body size?

Gary M.

The 2.5 is adequate but the 3.0 is better.

The V8's are another thing entirely..................................

As a CAT D, that car would be worth about half what the seller is asking (if that), see what is worth if you ever try to sell it on !

The question is, why does the seller state 'HPi clear' in his description ?

It could be a genuine mix up, I have seen problems with vehicles that have been on private plates showing as a 'total loss' when it is actually a claim relating to another car that has had the same private plate at some point in its history.

I would not concentrate on low mileage as a main criteria, if you plan to buy a pristine collectors example and then cuddle it and never drive it, then the low mileage, full dealer history, 1 owner cars are the ones that will appreciate in value.

If, on the other hand, you want to drive and enjoy it, look at condition, history and value for money ?

Here are a few examples that would probably get me to go and view them, but that is just me !

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607175928813?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&sort=default&page=1&radius=1500&postcode=bb90at&searchcontext=default&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=8

4.2 at a dealer, couple of dents on rear quarter but probably easily sorted by 'Dentmaster'

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608086596815?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&sort=default&postcode=bb90at&searchcontext=default&radius=1500&page=2&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=2

'R' for sale privately, 2004 'facelift' car with great spec and says full history. i would buy this myself if I hadn't just purchased my 2006 version !

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607316362009?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&sort=default&postcode=bb90at&searchcontext=default&radius=1500&page=2&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=5

Nice 'genuine' 4.2 Sport with 18" BBS alloys, at the unfortunately named 'Blakedown Car Co', hopefully it won't 'blake down' !

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607266204831?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&sort=default&postcode=bb90at&searchcontext=default&radius=1500&page=2&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=6

Well advertised 4.2 SE Plus, private sale with full history.