One Year In "Still got it bad"

Claws

First year of ownership, first Jag, first experience of owning a Marque!

My thoughts so far. Never did I think I would ever own such a car, but when I saw her advertised I fell in love, I just knew inside I had to have her. Went to the dealers, saw her in the flesh, heard the engine, checked her over, even before we discussed cash, I wanted out of there, with her whisking me home, already anticipating the bursting pride I knew I would feel to be the owner of such a car….

What did the missus say “its smaller inside than the Omega” typical! She likes her now by the way

Anyhow not to put a dampener on the experience, one year on, I still have the honour of saying I own a Jaguar, still get an excitement when I know I’ll be getting behind the wheel shortly, with the keys in my hand, I still look at her and admire her from afar. I still can’t believe I own her

To the car its self

Positives

As mentioned love the shape, love the quality of the build, solid feeling, reassuring thud when the doors close, responsive, handles like a dream, road holding very good, haven’t pushed to hard yet though, goes like the wind, purred with original boxes on, now growls with the sports boxes, gearbox lovely and smooth, brakes fabulous, sport mode or not I love the acceleration from stand still, overtaking a dream and effortless, speed I couldn’t possibly comment :whistling: firm supportive comfortable leather seats, love the layout of the interior, like the wood trim, love the alloys, folding mirrors, sound system even though it’s the basic, she’s a head turner, still getting admiring glances

Negatives

House Keys in the ignition dangle on my knee (quite annoying) firm suspension, not her fault, that’s what you get with a Sport model!, she does not like the go faster pedal being slammed to the floor for ‘Kick down’ she does some weird stuff that makes think a fault code is going to pop up, or I’m going to damage her, she prefers the slightly smoother approach, rather than the 'wham - bam' Not the biggest of boots, the ‘letter box’ opening behind the rear seats when they are folded is quite small therefore restricting the size of larger / longer ‘Stuff’ you may want to carry, I think the windows are a little on the small side, that’s perhaps just a personal opinion, not the easiest to clean the rear window at parcel shelf level, space saver wheel, doesn’t have all the toys, again not her fault,

To conclude:

Had I done a bit more research I probably would be driving the S Type ‘R’ but at this moment that will have to wait for a while (How long who knows) regarding those little niggly things, I can live with them, why? Because they make no difference to the experience of owning a fantastic car, one year on and I still can’t wait to get behind the wheel, Oh, and I still give her a little pat on the dash whenever the journey begins and ends

Apologies for my waffling on, but just thought I would share my love affair with a superb car

Steve

• Like 3

when we love our jags what a way to express how you feel.... me i feel the same too,  if i could when i die i want my jag crushed and melted down so she comes along with me in my next life,  LOL....     :-)  

Nice write up. 

Im just over 2 years into Jaguar ownership and feel the same way.

the wife quickly came round to my way of thinking when she found my old '99 T reg one and thought it was the X type I liked

image.jpeg

i love seeing the leaper on the bonnet and the looks it gets when your out n about.

plus, people let you out at junctions. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Funny you should mention the house keys.  I have exactly the same with them tickling my leg!  

On the comfort side, the only annoying thing I find, other than the keys, is there is nowhere to put my right foot when I am, as the yoof of today would say, "Ghost-riding my whip" (kids eh!), i.e. have cruise control engaged.  It needs a foot rest on the right.  Due to the low seat level, it's not comfortable to put the foot flat on the floor in front of the pedal and so the only option is to have it hovering on the accelerator which is not really restful.

But those are very minor things.  :)

actually Adam, come to think of it, its also funny you mention the foot rest, I never use Cruise control, so its my left foot that could do with a home when I'm driving, I find I fold my leg towards my seat, what ever happened to the foot rests in autos that used to be fairly common place?

That's odd Steve as I have an auto and I do have a foot rest on the left, basically where the clutch would normally be?  Maybe that was something in the slightly later models?  Mine is a 2005 vintage.

I used to have a T reg Seat Toledo V5 (affectionately christened "Twerp" by my eldest daughter as it's plate was T332ERP) and that had a rest for the right foot beside the accelerator.

that's going to annoy me now! have I just been a complete Muppet and not seen / noticed it i'll double check tomorrow when I'm in it, yours is newer than mine, perhaps you have a much higher spec than mine? and again I'm stealing your words, it would be Odd to have a foot rest as an optional extra rather than a standard fitment, I must have one surely?

Never seen a foot rest by the accelerator before, did it also have Cruise?

14 hours ago, Andy the tyre man said:

i love seeing the leaper on the bonnet and the looks it gets when your out n about.

plus, people let you out at junctions

That is quite true, especially if its another Jag owner! I also find the same effect on motorways

Thanks Adam

Yep pretty sure mines the same, I was expecting a metal plate to clearly identify it, its not very significant as a foot rest though I think

Thanks again

Steve

PS

Mine needs a hoover too!

1 hour ago, Simjag said:

My pet hates with my s are -

Brake pedal being higher than accelerator pedal.

Gear knob different colour wood from dash.

Auto wipers that wiper far too much!

But still love the jaguar that's why it's my 3rd!

My S-Type has the brushed aluminium dashboard and door insets rather than wood so my gear knob is chrome with black leather and I love it!

Don't talk to me about the auto wipers though.  I agree that they are way to over zealous and I never use them.  Actually, the "normal" wiper speed (not on auto) on mine is much faster than any other car I have owned.

• 3 months later...
On 27/07/2016 at 6:25 AM, Simjag said:

My pet hates with my s are -

Brake pedal being higher than accelerator pedal.

Gear knob different colour wood from dash.

Auto wipers that wiper far too much!

But still love the jaguar that's why it's my 3rd!

I don't know what colour your wood is but I've got a spare light maple gear knob going. I bought the aluminium gear knob from Jaguar at the expense of £136 👀

So excuse the photos but they're not on my phone (also I have the odd bit of trim in mine, I'd love to have them painted a gloss piano black but they're too much of a hassle to get off, the dash anyway):

IMG_0380.PNG

IMG_0381.PNG