Cheap, high mileage S-Type R, should I ?

The Voices

Well, here it is !

Set off this morning at 8am (got a lift from a friend), good trip down and arrived in Brentwood at about 11.40.

Sorted the paperwork and used the sat nav to find a Shell garage to fill up with V-Power Nitro, luckily the filling station was still Shell despite the age of the navigation disc !

The engine management light that was showing when I drove it previously had now vanished as well.

Managed 27mpg on the 250+ miles back home, car seems to drive brilliantly.

The temperature gauge never moved above halfway, even when sat in a traffic jam for a few minutes.

It is deceptively quick, my Subaru is a totally different style of power delivery.

Went out in the car later and the engine management light came back on, codes indicate bank 1 upstream sensor, I have ordered a genuine replacement one as a first step.

It needs a louder exhaust to appreciate the V8 but the supercharger whine is nice !

I now need to sell the 2.5, will have to get round to writing an advert.

Hmm................................

True glory might be a slight overstatement !

I need to give it a wash first, unfortunately work is getting in the way of my real job (S-Type R primary care provider)

Beggars can't be choosers !

I didn't set out to buy a black one , my choice would be lunar grey with grey/charcoal leather but this one was much cheapness !

The oxygen sensor has arrived and I bought the 22mm sensor removal sockets, just have to cross my fingers for good weather if I decide to change it myself.

Had a quick look but there is lot going on in that engine bay, I presume best access will be from under the car ?

Then all I need to make my happiness complete is a 10% smaller top pulley (but need to modify the nose of the supercharger), intake pipe, panel filter, sports exhaust, HR lowering springs, uprated discs and pads, remap................................

Wait !

Just (mentally) spent the price of the car on performance upgrades and it will then implode and create an artificial black hole !

Is there a 'superchargers anonymous' support group for victims and their families, I think I already have a life changing addiction ?

hi Jon

I was going to go with a 10% pulley upgrade but

Most of the people I know who have done it, say the intercooler cant cope with the extra boost and it causes the engine to get to hot, which causes other failures, which would means upgraded intercoolers and  or larger intercooler radiator up front, getting expensive now

and you don't get massive power from the 10% pulley

I'm going with high flow cats 200 cell ones, standard cats are very very restrictive, together with kn filter inside the standard airbox , replacement inlet pipe and a descent remap, will see more power gains, with good reliability 

manifolds are also restrictive but these are also quite expensive to replace

cheers

Joe

I have seen reports of cooling system failures after fitting the 10% pulley but not on the STR (mainly XK ?)

Sure that I read that the STR has better/more efficient intercooler but I need to do more research.

Yes all 02 sensors changed from below, I changed one in about 10 minutes it took longer to get the car jacked up that changing it!

And yes at the price you paid I still would of brought it!

11 hours ago, The Voices said:

Is there a 'superchargers anonymous' support group for victims and their families, I think I already have a life changing addiction ?

Hi Jon

Daft question, but I have to ask. is the difference from you 3.0 to the V8 supercharged beyond your expectation? never really had the opportunity to sit in a machine designed to be a 'performance' car I've driven a 5.3 Daimler Double 6 many, many years ago, and a Bentley Mulsane turbo I think that was 6.6 or 7.0 litre but neither were Performance cars

I'm really curious

Steve

Hi Steve,

Not a daft question at all !

My first S-Type is the 2.5 V6 model rather than the 3.0 V6.

I had a 2.5 as a company car when they were new to the range and thought it was a nice car but the auto box seemed to need to change up and down a lot.

When I decided to start looking for a cheap S-Type last year, I was only looking to spend up to £2k and really wanted a 3.0 V6.

After going to look at loads of miss-described cars I landed on my 2.5 Sport auto by accident, price was right and seemed an 'honest' car.

I have a company car (currently XE 2.0D 180 R-Sport) but unlike everyone else in the motor trade, I have to have something 'quick' of my own as well.

Currently on my 5th Subaru Impreza (STi Type UK running 330/330) and before that I had five of the BMW 325i models (before the 328i and 330i models came along !)

The plan was that my wife would drive the S-Type as she likes an automatic gearbox and I would keep the Impreza as my weekend toy.

Problem is that I like the S-Type as well and drive it more than I anticipated, the 2.5 V6 is just not enough 'gun' for me so the logical move was a 4.2 V8 or STR.

My recent purchase came along at the right price, I could easily have spent as much (or more ?) on a non-supercharged V8 so it was a 'no brainer' for me.

The STR is an absolute world apart from the V6 (in my opinion), with respect to the responsiveness and smoothness, as much as the performance difference.

The supercharger noise on the 'R'  is addictive, always promised myself one after getting one up to (GPS verified) 162mph on the runway at Elvington when we were involved with the 'Speed of Sight' project.

Have to say Jon, got goosebumps when you mentioned the supercharger noise!

What to do? On occasion an XFR passes me while walking to the station, and it does sound lovely, I believe the unit under the bonnet is very similar to the one under yours? I have mentioned recently, had I done a bit more research before getting my current S type I would now be driving the STR. 

Its pretty clear I want one, but the 'planets are aligning' and they are presenting several dilemmas. Like you were, I'm waiting on funds becoming available at the end of the year / beginning of 2017

SWMBO wants the decking extending at our Caravan (pic below) and the 'Van' is very, very important to her, she suffers from severe Agrophobia, which means she's basically house bound without extremely strong meds, it's her escape from the flat she can't stand anymore. So that's a given that will be done, circa 4K, she has the funds now, but of course I will give her that back. I want to get rid of a debt also, there's talk of finally tying the knot (we've been engaged for 9 years) there's talk of a little cruise around the med! Then of course comes the S type, I've already spent approx 2.5k on her which I'll never see again, she now needs some work on the sills, okay not a lot I suppose 400 - 500 but when is, enough is enough? My friend and I will shortly be meeting to discuss setting up a business together (FM Consultancy / provider ) as we're both experienced professionals in that field, that will need some funds setting aside, so not going to be a lot of spare dosh Left! so the Dilemma is, keep my little girlie and fix her? and still have a few quid spare  Or move her on and get an STR? I also think the STR will be an investment, as perhaps being a sort after model in years to come? You experienced opinion / thoughts on that presumption would definitely be appreciated. I know mine is one of a limited production run, but she'll never command anywhere near the interest that the STR will.

The expression 'Rock and a Hard place' doesn't even begin to describe the tough choice I have to make  :wallbash: I really want to be sitting behind that Supercharged V8.......

Apologies by the way, for waffling on, but getting things down in black and white sometimes makes things a little clearer? :schmoll:

The 'Van' just in case you're interested 

the decking will extend from decking by the front door down to the decking around the back, it may not look much, but it's over 7 meters long, and 4 foot wide 

image.jpeg

Hi Steve,

The 'van' looks the business, everyone needs a 'happy place'

I really didn't have the cash to buy the STR but at the price, I 'had' to buy it.

The other car I want is the E39 BMW M5 and the prices have already started to rise, you could buy a sound but high mileage one for £5k not long ago and now that is impossible.

My worry is that the STR will go the same way, I don't think they can get much cheaper than they are now.

I look at all the cars I 'could' have bought over the years for sensible money and missed out (E30 M3. Sapphire Cosworth,E30 325i Sport, etc) and don't want to be left in the same situation in 5 years wishing I had bought the STR when they were still affordable.

How long will it take for the prices to rise ?

Who knows !

At the moment I would only pay 'sensible' money for one and probably not a fortune for a low mileage one.

The low mileage car will be more likely to gain in value but what is the point of owning a car that you are scared to drive because the mileage will go up ?

Next thing you know, it can't go out in the rain in case it gets wet and goes rusty, can't drive it quick in case it gets stone chips and so on !

As I get older I worry less about the what ifs ?

Lost a very good friend of mine almost 2 years ago at the age of 50, he fell asleep on the sofa and his partner came down in the morning to find him dead.

Since then I have decided that I will pretty much do what I want to do rather than hang fire, none of us know what is around the next corner.

My advice ?

Sell the current car and find a reasonable 'R' if it fits in with your other priorities but always look after the number 1 person in your life.

I am an incredibly lucky man, my wife and I have been a couple since we were 16 and she has always put up with my stupid obsession with fast cars and the money I have 'wasted' (for want of a better term)

She loved the 2.5 when I bought it but the 'R' has put a smile on her face !

• Like 1

Hi Jon

Firstly my apologies for the delay in replying

A very touching and poignant reply, It's very easy sometimes to take life for granted, I'm of a very similar mind-set myself, because I know there's a lot more sand at the bottom of the 'Hour' glass now, than at the top, and have become very philosophical about things in life, but I of course care for those friends and family in my life, and will help anyone if I can

My good Lady, gives me a hard time when I spend money, that's why she has money in the bank and I don't! but she's a good Girl, and does want to look after me, Bless her

to the cars

I was looking at her yesterday as I was showing off the sports boxes to my 'son in Law' (he loved them by the way) anyhow, it will be sad to move her on, but still need to chat with the 'Boss in doors' about my way of thinking, I know she will give me a hard time, but I do fancy the 'R'

Can I ask, did your insurance take a battering?

Hi Guys,

Well done to Jon for taking the plunge with the STR, a helluva car! How is the engine on that mileage, good I hope? I hear they can handle high mileage.

I seriously considered buying one to the point of obsession, but decided there was no point me getting one and keeping my current S-Type. But I want more Jaguars and the next one has to be V8 supercharged, so I've decided to go for an X100 XKR :yes:.

There is still work to do on my S-Type, and I want to recommission my MGF in the spring. so I'm not taking Jon's advice about buying the XKR right away so as not to have a whole bunch of unfinished projects! Hopefully in about 18 months I'd be in the lucky position of having the 3.0 Sport manual S-Type, an XKR coupe, an MGF and 2 Discoveries. I think I'll just about have all the bases covered then!

For interest, can you give an overview of the relative performance of both your S's and the Subaru, including handling?

Thanks, Russ

BTW, love the Vulcan alloys, same as mine :thumbup:

Hi Steve and Russ,

The insurance is in my wife's name, I have to use my 'no claims bonus' on the Subaru because it has quite a lot of modifications from standard.

Multi car policies tend not to cater for performance models or modified vehicles.

Trying to get a 'traders' policy is a nightmare and I am not really a trader !

Because Sue has usually been a named driver on my policies, she has not accumulated her own NCB and pays quite a bit for insurance.

The 2.5 V6 was about £500 pa I think with both of us on the policy, just charged another £160 for the remaining six months to change the policy to the 'R'.

At renewal time she will have another years bonus and I will shop around the 'performance' insurers to see if I can get a deal.

I though long and hard (well, for me at any rate) before buying the 'R' with such high mileage.

The service history is pretty reasonable, car covered 60k whilst it was under warranty so any big issues would have been sorted.

Next owner purchased the car at 3 years old and kept it until this year, so once again I have to presume that he kept on top of the upkeep due to the mileage he covered (95k in 7 years)

The engine sounds sweet, my personal opinion is that you could cover up the odometer and most people would guess 70k or less.

Luckily I have driven all three cars in the last few days so I can give you a quick overview.

The Impreza, well it is noisy, rattly and has plastics on the interior that look like a 1970's Datsun.

It does however go like a bomb, standard cars is rated at 5.3 to 60mph, the same as the 'R', my car is running about 70 bhp more than 'stock'.

The car feels more involving due to the manual box, you really need to chuck gears at it in quick succession at the redline appears very quickly.

Sticks to the road like chewing gum to your best shoes but you feel every bump and bang, Sue hates being a passenger and was getting fed up of driving it (she used to be a 'girl racer' !)

A long journey in it is like being rolled down a hill in a metal dustbin but the flat four engine has a certain character that the Mitsubishi Evo will never have.

The S-Type 2.5 Sport auto, great old car, smooth and relaxing to drive and has adequate power if you don't get ambitious.

It can't really go fast enough to get you into trouble from a handling point of view, it has never given me a scary moment, even on the budget tyres that I fitted.

Drove it today for 20 miles or so and got out thinking what a 'nice' car to drive. My only complaint would be that it sounds a bit noisy when it has to change down when you want a bit of extra 'urge'

The STR, well now...............................

Everything I remembered from driving them when I was selling them new.

It can tootle along nicely like the 2.5, behaving in a civilised fashion when you just want an effortless drive but when you put your foot down ?

As Russell Crowe says at the battle at the beginning of Gladiator, 'on my signal, unleash hell !'

Speed is deceptive as the power delivery is more linear than the Subaru.

Early days to comment on the handling but might be a handfull in the wet ?

Rear tyres are Continental Sport Contact 3's that are down to about 3mm, I will think carefully about the replacement tyre choice.

Currently considering some Wanli fieldseekers (similar to Linglong ditchfinders) made out of plastic rather than rubber, heard from some guy on the internet that you can get 60,000 miles out of a set ?

Coming soon, The Voices writes his version of War and Peace.

Fitted the replacement lambda sensor today (£60 on ebay) and that seems to have cured the fault codes and engine management light.

Swapped the clear side markers from the 2.5 and fitted the replacement engine cover (another £30 well spent on ebay), at least now I can look under the bonnet and read 'supercharged' !

Stay tuned folks !

Nice write up Jon

just out of curiosity I might get an insurance quote, making sure I'm sitting down at the time!

As you say early days, I guess no regrets so far, But if you had to, could you choose between the Impreza and the STR? Sounds like two very different beasts 

Steve