Cheap, high mileage S-Type R, should I ?

The Voices

Make sure loads of history parts etc.

I own one and enjoy driving it but parts are always more expensive than the smaller engine ones.

Wouldn't change it though am starting to look at XFR maybe next year

BTW supercharger belts don't last too long :)

Awesome! Looks great Jon! I'm considering a personal plate, but like yours for the car not me i.e. Jag related, not Russ related! If anyone comes across anything interesting and cheap, please let me know :wink1:

Are you based in Kendal Jon?

I live in Barrow and have never seen another STR local to me in the 2yrs that I have owned one.

I have adamesh rear silencers

Remapped

Smaller 10% pulley

WOT mod

Caldoofy cold air intake

and......

new engine replaced 3 weeks ago, mine had 54,000 on the clock then decided to eat its main bearings, new engine has 88,000 with valley pipe replaced with new as a precaution

S**t off a shovel comes to mind, hope you are now enjoying yours

20150919_143826-1-1.jpg

Theres mine in Sascale so not too far away

Had it a couple of years just had to replace the valley pipe a real pig of a job so changed a few other hoses, both belts and idler pulleys and the water pump while I was in there.

Love driving it though it also has lpg so makes it cheap to run

20140912_111503sm.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rd350ypvs said:

Are you based in Kendal Jon?

I live in Barrow and have never seen another STR local to me in the 2yrs that I have owned one.

I have adamesh rear silencers

Remapped

Smaller 10% pulley

WOT mod

Caldoofy cold air intake

and......

new engine replaced 3 weeks ago, mine had 54,000 on the clock then decided to eat its main bearings, new engine has 88,000 with valley pipe replaced with new as a precaution

S**t off a shovel comes to mind, hope you are now enjoying yours

20150919_143826-1-1.jpg

I work at Kentdale Jaguar in Kendal and live in Nelson near Burnley.

Been ironing out a few minor issues before any modifications, now seems to be running sweet.

My Impreza is getting neglected as the STR is so much 'easier' to drive.

7 hours ago, Russ68 said:

Awesome! Looks great Jon! I'm considering a personal plate, but like yours for the car not me i.e. Jag related, not Russ related! If anyone comes across anything interesting and cheap, please let me know :wink1:

Thanks Russ !

Looks better on my car than the 318i that donated the plate.

There are stacks of number plates on the DVLA site that are STR related for not much money.

Anything that actually has 'JAG' costs a fortune though.

As an example, I thought of S400 GRR as a bit of fun, it is up for £250 including fees !

7 hours ago, Russ68 said:

That would indeed be a good plate for the STR, not so much for the V6. I've had a bit of as look and nothing jumps out, well done on yours though :wink1:

You could always buy the plate and use it as an excuse to buy a nice STR ?

Ha ha, it may come to that! My plan for an X100 XKR has hit a snag as the prices appear to be going nuts, and I'm not paying a premium for an older model. If I can't get a good deal on an XKR, I would consider the STR. But this is by the way as I'm not in the market for at least a year, after which everything may have changed :wink1:

The majority of X100's will have fallen in bits due to corrosion by then !

Slight exaggeration, but make sure you have a really good look under the car if you still want one in 12 months.

I can remember standing under one that was up on a ramp in the workshop and thinking 'that underseal looks really light coloured ?', I pushed it and discovered that it was actually the rubber backing on the carpet behind the drivers seat !

• 4 weeks later...

I now have the 'yellowstuff' front brake pads fitted to match the rears, very impressed by the results.

Pedal feel is improved, 'bite' from cold is fine and the car feels to stop better.

The replacement intake pipe has arrived as well.

Fitted it last week and car feels a bit smoother, may just be my imagination though !

I now have a rear door that sometimes does not unlock however, so need to investigate at some point.

• 4 months later...

Not added to this thread in ages !

Had a few things sorted in the meantime.

Ordered a replacement 'new old stock' door latch to replace the OSR one that was not working.

Andy went to fit it and pointed out that the part number on the box was correct but the part was a NSF door latch !

He lubricated all of the latch mechanisms and check straps and now all of the door lock work as they should.

I decided that I would also order replacement coolant hoses to start replacing as many of the original ones as possible due to the deterioration I had seen.

This was time consuming as Jaguar have some very strange descriptions for what a hose is called and what it does !

Rear parking sensors were doing strange things so took a chance and ordered some cheap ones from eBay, sold individually at less than £10 each.

Whilst Andy had the car for a preliminary look to weigh up how long it would take to fit the new hoses and sensors, we noticed a leak on the gearbox Oil cooler pipes.

Had to leave the car with him as we decided it was not a good idea to drive it until he investigated further.

Not very popular with Sue as she had to drive the Impreza instead, I did get a few 'Brownie points' by letting her use the new F-Pace company car for a couple of days when she had long trips to do (cheers boss !)

Ordered the cooler pipes, advised that the part number I had which was C2Z11606 (supersedes XR856184) was only for the NA V8 not the 'R'.

Duly ordered the C2Z11607 part number, which I was told was for the supercharger version.

Took the parts over on Saturday morning for Andy to fit them, new gearbox sump / filter, sleeve and replacement gearbox Oil as well.

We got the leaking pipes off to find out that they were not the same shape as the C2Z11607 that I had ordered !

This presented me with a dilemma as the car was now immobile on a main dealers ramp being worked on as a favour from my former employers.

Being Saturday of course made it worse, we checked national dealer stock for the 'other' part number, part was in stock at Jaguar but none at dealers.

No parts delivery on Sunday so car would be blocking a ramp on Monday morning when the workshop re-opened.

Options were to refit the damaged pipes to be able to move the car a short distance or see if the new ones could be persuaded to fit ?

The two pipes are only held together by plastic clips so we were able to separate them to make comparisons easier, I should have taken some pictures but I was too stressed to think about it.

Luckily, only one of the two pipes appeared to be a different shape, the other one had some different bends where it goes up to the radiator.

Andy suggested that it could be a 'modified' design taking a different route around some of the other pipework, subsequent investigations seem to indicate that the part number in question is for the 4.2 SV8 XF.

To cut a long story short, we managed to get both pipes into place and clipped back together without any major bending or twisting (I was terrified of creasing or compressing the thin walled aluminium tubing)

Gearbox refilled, new sump / filter and sleeve and everybody lives happily ever after.

New rear sensors fitted, work fine but have a much shorter range than the originals, only start to bleep when you are quite close.

Ran out of time with the coolant hoses so not all of them were fitted, apparently one of them at least is easier with the bumper off ?

Still loving every minute, goes like a train !

• Like 1