Cheap, high mileage S-Type R, should I ?

The Voices

This is what I hope to do on my XKR when I get it, after I've sorted brakes, tyres and servicing, for a few £hundreds you can be looking at 500+ bhp! I'm also interested in the Racing Green Sequential Shifters, turning the auto into a sequential shifting semi auto etc.

The Green filter also uses Oil apparently, is it an issue with them being over oiled and Oil being pulled onto the MAF or similar. I think if properly used and set up, there is no reason Oil should get to the MAF with either the Green or K&N, but I have no direct knowledge of these in a S-Type

I spent ages looking for 2nd hand sports boxes for my S-Type and just bought a pair for £65 each from a breaker who I doubt knew what he had. They were so mucky it wasn't even clear they were stainless when I bought them but they've cleaned up well. I just need a couple of hours to fit them up properly, hopefully next week sometime :yes:

Result on the back boxes !

I scan the classified ads and eBay but the 'R' uses 60mm pipework unlike the rest of the range ?

I have run K+N and Green filters in other cars so will probably give one of them a try once my fault codes are sorted.

Just about to set off for Bolton to let a Jaguar master tech take a look at it.

What an afternoon I have had !

I sorted out the nasty headlamp lenses (detailed in a separate thread) and set off to Bolton to get the service and fault codes sorted.

On the way I had to call in to collect an Oil filter I had ordered from the local motor factors.

The engine management light came back on and the car stalled before I had traveled more than a mile !

Never seen an automatic stall before, it was horrible !

Had to put it back into park to restart and hold it on the brake with my left foot so that I could keep the revs up with my right foot.

Stalled four more times on the way to collect the Oil filter, by this stage I felt physically sick.

All sorts of things run through your mind, not least the 'I told you so !' from all the people who have a heart attack at the thought of a 155k S-Type R as a rational purchase.

I had also just added a bottle of fuel system cleaner to the tank, running it on V Power but figured that the cleaner couldn't do any harm.

Next thought is 'oh no ! it has disturbed some muck in the system and clogged the fuel system or injectors !

The car was running fine once it was moving but I had to get to Bolton which would involve stopping at junctions and so forth.

Choice was either to see if I could get it there or get home and arrange a recovery truck ?

Called Sue and at least she didn't panic (unlike me !), suggested that I try to get it to Bolton, she could follow in one of the other cars if necessary.

Had a slightly eventful journey, used the 'J' gate to change down through the gears approaching junctions and traffic lights.

Leaving it in 2nd and not touching the throttle until setting off worked most times, other times had to go back into park and restart using the 'two footed' method to set off.

Called Andy (the master tech who was going to take a look for me) whilst I was on route to explain the new problem, his first thought was vacuum pipe come off or split but needed to take a proper look.

Got to Bolton at 5pm, after what felt like an eternity, Andy was all over it in the workshop car park before I could even get it inside !

I stopped worrying at this point because at least the car was in the right place for a diagnosis, resigned myself to calling Sue to pick me up (70 mile round trip) as I thought that there was no chance of a 'fix' before the business locks up at 6.30pm.

I babbled on about the fault codes and whether fitting the replacement engine cover could have disturbed something or the fuel system treatment caused the problem ?

Andy could not spot any obvious problems so got it inside and hooked up to the diagnostics to get any stored fault codes.

He ran a quick smoke test but still no signs of a vacuum leak ?

Whilst the intake hose was disconnected he had a quick look down the hole into the airbox with a torch and said 'you have, of course, checked the air filter' ?

'Well, I was planning to put a K+N or similar in there soon so didn't bother' was my answer !

I have attached a picture of what we found.

The moral of the story is this:

NEVER, EVER, OVERLOOK THE ****ING OBVIOUS !

Luckily, Daniel in parts was still around and had the right filter in stock.

Andy fitted it, cleared the codes and problem solved !

He also carried out the service but did not have time to fit the new fuel filter (he was also concerned that the one I had purchased might not be the right one !)

All fine on the trip home, no re-appearance of the engine management light, checked for codes with my OBD reader when I got home, no fault or pending codes either (was showing the P0171 and P0174 codes as 'pending' after each trip)

Fingers really, really crossed that the 'air filter from the Black Lagoon' was the cause of all the problems ?

AIR FILTER 1.JPG

AIR FILTER 2.JPG

OMG!

is that the original? That's shocking I'm not surprised she was struggling 

Jon I don't remember you mentioning it but have you changed your plugs? If that's an example of the care she has received I'd want to have a look 

Steve

Exactly! This is why I asked about servicing, which would've included the air filter. I'd start from scratch on all service items and fluids. That is the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen neglect before! Glad you're on the track of bringing her back to full health 😉

3 hours ago, Raistlin said:

I don't know what you're on about Jon. There's at least another 100 000 miles in that air filter yet :wacko:

At least another 100k, perhaps I can just blow it clean with the air line ?

22 minutes ago, ay_jay said:

Wow. At least it's a easy fix it it turns out to be all down to that. 

Just out of interest where in Bolton is the garage you use?

Thanks

I used to work at Farnell Jaguar in Farnworth, my friend Andy is one of their master techs, I left on good terms so he is still allowed to look after my cars.

7 hours ago, Claws said:

OMG!

is that the original? That's shocking I'm not surprised she was struggling 

Jon I don't remember you mentioning it but have you changed your plugs? If that's an example of the care she has received I'd want to have a look 

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't think it is the original as it is a 'pattern' replacement, heaven only knows how long it had been in there ?

What seems strange is that I have spoken to the garage that has looked after the servicing for the last 50k miles and they have been very helpful and offered information regarding what has been done to the car ?

They seemed to know what they were talking about but how long does it take an air filter to get into this condition ?

On the other hand, I 'assumed' that it had been done due to the service stamps in the book and was looking for a more serious problem !

5 hours ago, Russ68 said:

Exactly! This is why I asked about servicing, which would've included the air filter. I'd start from scratch on all service items and fluids. That is the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen neglect before! Glad you're on the track of bringing her back to full health 😉

Oil and filter and air filter done yesterday.

Fuel filter to be done when Andy has time.

Plugs were 'supposedly' done at 112k in October 2013 but no definite proof ?

Well done Jon, I'm about to do gearbox Oil, brake fluid and coolant as I can't be sure when it was last done, nominal cost and can't hurt. If I was you, I'd change the plugs, or at least examine a couple, they've done c40k over 3 years so it could be a quick win 😉

On 12/08/2016 at 7:38 PM, Claws said:

Guys I thought the adamesh boxes fitted all? Bug-ger! I did have plans.... Perhaps not now

On 12/08/2016 at 7:38 PM, Claws said:

Guys I thought the adamesh boxes fitted all? Bug-ger! I did have plans.... Perhaps not now

Yes they fit all models!

• Like 1

wow that is a dirty air filter. Nice to be checking the jobs off though. I have one left to do on my car , it is in tomorrow for a gearbox service. I was very much in the thought of  'what have i done' when i first purchased mine, but now its just a trouble free pleasure.

Cheers Steve, I will be interested to hear their reply.

I have been having a look at other performance exhaust suppliers and they all seem to list the 'R' as a separate part number to the other 'S' models.