My new jag!

David 24

Right guys, I recently bought my Jaguar first one ever and managed to get the 2005 xtype 2.2d sports premium package. I've been waiting months for the right one. Being 24 I was nervous about buying thinking people would say it's a an old man's car buy it proved them wrong !. No one could believe you could get one with such beauty. Anyway travelled 300 miles in the past two days littilary driving about to random places as it's a pleasure to drive. The way it handles and the power delivery is phenomenal but driving a van 5 days a week will never take the fun out of driving a Jaguar. Anyway here's a couple photos👍

20160805_152843.jpg

20160805_152856.jpg

20160805_152905.jpg

20160803_210112.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the Club, David.

The X type was once described by a motoring journalist as "quite nippy"  which is not how I would describe a Jaguar.  But having said that, when I first drove my X type [my first Jaguar] a 2.5 AWD SE I was quite surprised at its roadholding and its acceleration.

You have a nice car there, and not an old man's car ---  driving my 2.7D s type keeps me young!

Meanwhile, enjoy your Jaguar and the club.  

Here is a picture of my big cat and the smaller one from across the road.

Regards,

Peter.

P1010743.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your post reminded me of how I felt with my first jag 2.4 Mk 1 with the screw on wheel arches.

I was only 20 and everyone was full of doom and gloom warning me about running costs and insurance etc but I still bought it and never driven anything else since.

Of course along the way there has been drama's with cost and coming to terms with model changes etc not quite to my liking but I still had to have a ' Jag ' .

The best I have ever driven ? It has to be the V12 XJ  and a close second the V8 S type  these two cars were awesome in performance BUT quite simply not viable on mpg ,I was forever in petrol stations ' filling up '  so sadly they both had to go .

I am currently driving a S Type 2.7 diesel which is a very surprising performer for a diesel, and a joy to drive on the open roads on my many trips to France, and for once in 50 years of driving Jags very very happy not spending my driving time always looking for petrol stations, if only they had diesel Jags back in sixties and seventies I'd be a millionaire now.

Finally why have I got a S type and not the XF ? simple , I dont like the look of them the design of front and especially back is appalling , with strip lights etc . But that's probably me being old and boring.

Jeff

Welcome to the Club, Jeff.

I concur with you about the 2.7 Diesel - a very lively performer, and the s Type is the best car I have ever driven, but as I did 29 years of company cars I have only driven a handful of cars I have bought.

I researched the 2.7 diesel engine and what I found pushed me towards it.

Great Car!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter, Thanks for the welcome.

Yes the S Type is a unsung hero Jag , in my opinion Jaguar should have ' played around' with the design of the S type and it could have been a truly desirable new model with the classic Jag grille left intact. I have attached a customised S Type that I found on the internet which I believe is stunning and only a small uplift that I am sure Jaguar could have improved even more.

Regards Jeff

JAGUAR S TYPE CUSTOMISED.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, 

Sorry for the late reply  ---  my internet has been down from Tuesday evening, and Virgin have just fitted a new Modem.  I am still having trouble get the printer to understand that it has WIFI.

I agree with you about the S Type and my thoughts are similar to yours.  I would have thought that an S Type Mark IV would have made an excellent addition to the current mode; line up.  A tweeted external design with an aluminium body, the new Ingenium engines to power the car which would give a good level of economy, and with the more powerful Ingenium engines to give more speed would have been a good seller.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Woodsy.

Engine manufacturers automatically de-tune engines to better cater for the worldwide mass market. As they have to take into account such things as poor quality fuels, restricted access to quality oils and poor servicing (if any), a de-tuned engine can cope better in such circumstances however, your engine was specifically designed for 2.7 ltr plus a minimum of +10% And displacement requirements well in excess of the 204bhp.

By re-mapping your engine, you will only be taking up somewhere near the levels it was designed for.

My 2.7 is the forth car I have re-mapped including my wife's 1.8 Astra automatic. I can honestly say that I have never had any problems relating to re - mapping (re-chipping is very seldom done these days). 

My previous three re'maps were direct ECU re-maps but the re-map to my Jaguar is a plug n play module. Slightly more expensive but I can fit to another car (after re-programming - £60)

Would I recommend it ' absolutely and without hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I also fit the first time at 43 only able to own and drive a Jaguar fir the first time. I have another car which is a Honda 2005 v6 in pristine condition but that's for Nigerian roads😊. Nimble and fast not to forget rugged and it's fully loaded.

saying that, my wife and I got ourselves a Jaguar s type 2003 3.0 v6 with 72,000 miles which I must say is a dream to drive,though I haven't really been able to feel it's full power because we live in the centre of London where speed limit is between 20/30mph. But unfortunately I hit the radiator on a speed bump not realising it's so low because of the Wright of the engine... But hey I learnt a lesson. Now I have to deal with the expensive consequences of that unforeseen accident which makes me sad. I miss her so much. ☹️ And we have only been together five days. 

My point is o love the car and as time goes on it's only right to up grade...that's my story.😀😀

thats her her on the flat bed truck going to get fixed.🙃😔

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 07/09/2016 at 10:05 AM, obrien58 said:

Hi Peter, Thanks for the welcome.

Yes the S Type is a unsung hero Jag , in my opinion Jaguar should have ' played around' with the design of the S type and it could have been a truly desirable new model with the classic Jag grille left intact. I have attached a customised S Type that I found on the internet which I believe is stunning and only a small uplift that I am sure Jaguar could have improved even more.

Regards Jeff

JAGUAR S TYPE CUSTOMISED.jpg

hi

I think this is at the british heritage museum,

more than sure I've seen it there, when I've been the Jaguar breakfast club

cheers

Joe

edit just checked yes it was

DSC_0748.JPG

DSC_0750.JPG

DSC_0749.JPG