Tyre recommendations for S-Type R

The Voices

As per the title really.

Real world recommendations please from practical experience !

Every time I start reading tyre reviews, I find loads of contradictory information because the reviews are based on a variety of tyre sizes and mixtures of vehicles.

What might be a great 17" tyre on a FWD hot hatch may be a death-trap on a more powerful RWD car with 18" tyres.

I want a good all rounder but wet weather performance is a priority as my wife will also be driving the car.

Due to the low mileage the car is likely to cover, tyre 'life' (mileage) is not really an issue.

A 'long life' tyre will probably need replacing due to the effects of ageing before I have had the benefits of extra mileage.

Good value for money is also important, I don't mind paying for a 'branded' tyre as long as the benefits are 'quantifiable'.

The Subaru boys have always liked the Toyo's and the Falken FK452 was well liked but now replaced by the FK453.

Some of the 'budget' names seem to get decent reviews from performance drivers (Nexen and Kuhmo for example) ?

Winrun R330, I already recommended them to you in another post. I have them on my S-Type and they're fantastic and £216 the set fitted in 185/40/18. W rated to 168mph and I can testify they grip well and progressively in all conditions...

Hey Jon, you're lucky enough to have the staggered alloys, which is cool. I was looking for a pair of the 9" Vulcans for the back of mine, but she handles so well on the 185/40's, I'm going to stick with these now. I heavily researched tyres before taking the plunge and the choice I'd made before deciding on the Winrun was the Nexen NFera SU1. These are available in 275/35 and c£90 each, which is not too bad. You can then get the NFera's for the front as well, as best to have a complete set from the same manufacturer IMHO :wink:

Hi Russ, the Nexens are on my 'budget' shortlist, but again, mixed reviews ?

The Kumho KU39 also seems to get decent reviews based on price.

There is a set of 'staggered' Vulcans on eBay at the moment with a start price of £200 which are not in bad shape.

The ones on my 'new' car are all kerbed so I am watching to see what they go for.

Any one else got any good or bad feed back on tyres for the 'R' ?

I have seen tyre tests where they mention that the side wall on the Kumho KU39 and Nexen SU1 is softer than usual on a sports tyre ?

This may depend on the tyre profile that they tested of course ?

Sidewall flex is one of my 'least favourite' things !

Probably more noticeable on front tyres and these are going on the back, but at some point I would like to run matching tread pattern all round ?

The previous owner spent a considerable sum on a pair of Continental Sport Contact 5's for the front (245/40/18), the only problem is that Continental do not do this tyre as a 275/35/18 for the back !

Great job genius !

It will take me another 5 years with my mileage to wear them out.

Hey Jon, 

I got those wheels at the starting bid, result! Thanks so much for pointing the out to me :yahoo:

This may not suit you as you have an actual STR, but I'm going for 265/35/18 Winrun R330's on the back, to match the Winrun 185/40s I have on the front. I saw some on the back of a Porche Carrera today and they're huge and only 10mm off the 275s.

Cheaper too 😉

Hi Russ,

Glad that you got them at the starting bid, that was a real result !

A single rear went for £350 a while ago !

I did consider looking at tyres one size wider or narrower than the 275/35/18 on the back but I think it will be as a last resort ?

Hi Jon

I'm running continental sport contact 3, as Jaguar recommend

there ok, both dry and wet

but they don't grip as good as i would like, you notice when pulling out of junctions, the traction control holds the car back a lot and its hard to pull out fast on a junction unless you turn the traction control off

also a lot of people fit 285 35 18 as well, as there cheaper and the slightly fatter tyre protect the rims better as they protrude slightly more, the 285's must be more popular

when my wear out, think I will look towards Pirelli's p zero or goodyear eagle f1, both of these get good recommendations, but will have to look more into it when the time comes closer

cheers

Joe

My preferred stockist says he Winruns have been discontinued, trying to find some old stock for the rears or it's back to the drawing board! Interesting the 285's will fit and offer better kerbing protection, and there are no reported clearance issues Joe?

2 hours ago, Russ68 said:

My preferred stockist says he Winruns have been discontinued, trying to find some old stock for the rears or it's back to the drawing board! Interesting the 285's will fit and offer better kerbing protection, and there are no reported clearance issues Joe?

No they fit, I've seen lots of people using them on Str on other forums, the only 10 mm wider, but must be a more popular size as there always cheaper

Cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe, I've found some 275/40 Winrun R330's at a stockist for £82 each, so they'll be the same manufacturer as my fronts and good tests and reviews. But the wall height will be 110mm as opposed to the 96.25 from the 275/35 and the 98mm from the 245/40's. I'm tempted by them as the 40 profile would give better kerbing protection, but I'm not sure on clearance and suitability, so may have to forgo having the same manufacturer all round. Does anyone know if a 275/40/18 has been used before and is a good choice?

Decided against the 275/40, silly idea from the start, too high sidewalls. The new wheels have arrived and look good 😀. Although  I'd like to spray them at some point.

Tyrewise I'm mainly thinking 275/35 Nexen N'Fera SU1. I had a look for 285/35 as Joe suggested, but they were either too cheap with poor tests and reviews. Or too expensive, with the possible exception of a Nexen N9000. Does anyone have experience of either of these on a S-Type? I know Paul uses Nexens...

Where are you on your decision Jon?

Russ, I am currently paralysed by indecision !

Just keep reading more and more contradictory tyre reviews and going round in circles (no pun intended !)

The major problem is that the reviews from customers have no 'scientific' basis, just opinions.

Such a wide variety of cars and driving styles that there is no common ground ?

There are people complaining that they 'only' get 40k miles out of a set of tyres (are they used to tyres made of plastic not rubber ?), this for me is absolutely irrelevant.

How they grip in the wet and dry is what concerns me.

Auto Express and some of the German car magazines have conducted in depth tests (but not on anything close to my tyre size, usually on front wheel drive cars and with much less power), the premium brand tyres tend to win hands down however.

My first choice for an affordable tyre was the Kumho LE Ecsta Sport KU39, based on 'word of mouth'

In the German tests, best rating was only 'satisfactory' worst was 'not recommended' !

I can get a pair of the N'Fera Su1's for £180 delivered (then whatever it costs to get them fitted), seems like a bargain but still concerned about the 'soft sidewall' comments.

The only tire I can find that gets universally good reviews is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, £334 delivered for a pair is the cheapest I can find so far.

Still think this is expensive for rubber do-nuts !

Got a 'trade' price for various brands at work via our (Jaguar nominated) tyre supplier, all more expensive than I can buy them online !

My current XE is on 19" alloys and has the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT's fitted.

They seem decent but only pushing 180ps through them on the XE, so not really an indication of how they would manage with 400 bhp to play with ?

If Continental did the Sport Contact 5 in 275/35/18, I would seriously consider a pair to match the nearly new ones on the front.

In an ideal world, I like all four tyres to match so that the handling characteristics are the same, but I am not really willing to replace the fronts just because of this.

We're in a similar / same boat Jon! I've spent hours looking at this and I need mine for a 240bhp sport, not your 400bhp R! I've thought I've found a winner on a couple of occasions just to have a curve ball thrown in at the end.

The Nexen N'Fera SU1 seemed OK, but is a touring tyre, not high performance. Nexen N6000 pretty good but dire economy. Quite interested in the Barum Bravuris 2, made by Conti apparently, also E on economy, but only £150 for 2 in 265/65. Could be false economy to save a few £ then pay it back at the pumps. Or stuff economy and base decision on grip and performance?

I'm almost certainly going 265/35 as plenty big enough and better prices for what I need. What psi do they recommend for the staggered R rears?

Happy hunting, hope you come up with something suitable :yes:

Just a thought, the N'Fera are th only ones on my shortlist that are Y rated, not W, and I doubt whether sidewall flex in a 35 profile would be the issue that it would in a higher profile :wink:

If I was buying for an R I think I'd wouldn't go anything less than the N'Fera in a 275/35, but I'm leaning towards the Barum in a 265/35 based on price. Although only £50 difference for the full size N'Feras. Where did you see them for £180, I see them on eBay at that price, but +£20 postage...

Hi Russ, there are a couple of eBay sellers doing free postage on a pair of the Nexens.

35 profile hasn't got much sidewall to flex as you say !

How much are the Barums in 265 ?

I would recommend sticking to the 275 unless there is a major price difference ?

I can get the Yoko's (not Mrs John Lennon !) at £138 each, their wet weather figures in the test were all 'green' and wet weather performance is probably my main focus.

The N'Fera are 'W' rated, so 168mph I think ?

'Y' rating on most of the others I am looking at, so 186mph rating.

Either one is above the 155 mph limiter, rumour has it that in 5th it will actually beat the limiter by some margin but not tried it yet !

Had a 2003 STR (back in 2003 !) at 162 mph on the main runway at Elvington so it might be feasible ?

The tyre pressure plate on my car says 32psi (I think) for the rears (up to 100mph) or 40psi for (presumably sustained speeds of) 100 mph +

You're right Jon, some vendors are listing the Nfera as Y rated, but the label definitely says W, which will be fine for mine, but maybe not yours if you had the speed limiter taken on when you remapped her!

The decision has been made and I'm going for Nferas in 275/35!  I'd hope they'd be on the car for years, after which saving £50 to get a wrong size, with poorer economy, will be false economy. Also, I suspect the Barum's are cheaper as they've been superseded, so it's vendors dumping old stock and I wouldn't be able to replace them or match the fronts if we decide to stick with them.

I hope sidewall flex will be minimal on a 35 profile with 32-40psi in them, now I've decided I can't wait to get them! But I will be spraying the wheels first so they are tiptop. After this I may need to hold back a bit on the spending, as I have been throwing a bit of money at her recently. Well worth it though, I've got some good bargains that should really add to the car and her road presence :yes:

Already ordered, so expecting them in a couple of days. I want to spray the rims before they go on, so it may be a week or so. But as soon as I've given them a go, I'll let you know :wink1: