Tyre recommendations for S-Type R

The Voices

Cheers Russ !

I have managed to make one decision (finally)

Ordered the EBC 'yellow stuff' pads for the rear brakes

These are around £64, compared to the Pagid or Brembo pads from Eurocarparts for £23 (using the 25% sale code)

I know that if I had bought the standard ones, I would end up swapping them again !

2 hours ago, The Voices said:

Cheers Russ !

I have managed to make one decision (finally)

Ordered the EBC 'yellow stuff' pads for the rear brakes

These are around £64, compared to the Pagid or Brembo pads from Eurocarparts for £23 (using the 25% sale code)

I know that if I had bought the standard ones, I would end up swapping them again !

Hi Jon

What made you go for the EBC Yellow stuff

I'm thinking of changing all my pads, but not sure what for, the brakes work perfect on the car, I'm just fed up of cleaning the wheels, after one day the wheels are covered in dust, I took them out to check them and there Jaguar pads

cheers

Joe

Yellow stuff gets great reviews as a 'fast road' pad and I seem to remember some test results done at MIRA showing improved stopping distances versus OEM pads.

Type 90 approved for road use as a 'standard' pad replacement, so no insurance issues.

Redstuff creates less dust apparently but not as big an improvement over standard.

The Nexen's have arrived and look pretty awesome! A mobile tyre guy is coming to do some swapping around on Tuesday and will strip the new rims. I'll spray them ASAP and report further when they're on  the car. 

We got a puncture in one of the Winruns, so I'm using a Conti on the front and handling is definitely compromised. I imagine the Conti is a better tyre, but has different characteristics to the other 3 so the total result is off. I'm hoping the new rear Nexens will work well with the Winruns, I'd rather have the same make and model all round given a choice :wink:

Thanks for the update Russ, I prefer the same all round if I can.

I still haven't made my mind up but I bet that I end up 'wimping out' and buying the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (just because of the reviews)

The Continental Sport Contact 3's that are on the rear at the moment are legal but on dry roads I was getting the DSC light flashing under hard acceleration yesterday !

Don't blame you Jon, if I was buying for an R, I think they'd have to be Y rated, in case I ever remapped and had the speed restrictor removed. These Nexens do look good though, hopefully they perform as good as they look :wink:

Just wanted to conclude this thread.

I finally gave in to paranoia and purchased a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's based on the excellent reviews.

£158 each online with free UK delivery, will get them fitted at work.

Sounds like a good call Jon, I think we've both made reasonable decisions given the power and tuning potential of our cars. If I had a supercharged V8, I think I'd have to go with a Y rated tyre, a fraction of the cost of the car, and a massive input to safety and performance, so better safe than sorry! Let us know how they perform once you have them on :wink:

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2016 at 1:18 AM, The Voices said:

The Subaru boys have always liked the Toyo's and the Falken FK452 was well liked but now replaced by the FK453.

Any feedback on the Toyo Proxes? Based on my search, it is one of the suggested tyres but it seems that it has different choices like R1R, R888 and more.

I use Proxes T1R's on my MGF, pretty good but don't think they had them in the sizes I needed for the Jag, which is how we arrived at the choices in this thread i.e. I went for Nexens for my 3.0 Sport and Jon for Michelins on his R...

Jon said this:

Just wanted to conclude this thread.

I finally gave in to paranoia and purchased a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's based on the excellent reviews.

£158 each online with free UK delivery, will get them fitted at work.

I paid about 1/2 that for the 275/35/18 Nexen N'Fera for the back of my Sport, and 1/2 that again for the 235/40/18 Winrun's which I had all round but are now just on the front. I lucked into a crazy deal on these just before they were discontinued. Surprisingly good for the money, but I'd prefer the same all round, which I'll do at some point.

It's worth reading back through this thread if you haven't already, a number of knowledgeable people commented and much deliberation was done before decisions were made :yes:

Hello fellow owners,

Before buying my S Type, my work meant high mileages annually in high(ish) performance cars, through all kinds of road and weather conditions with up to three complete tyre changes each year. I have had experience with several makes of tyre, none of which were low cost.

About eighteen months ago, a front tyre puncture caused me to call into a small garage where the owner convinced me to buy two budget tyres which he rated very highly. In the time since then I’ve discovered characteristics which I’d never come across in any of the tyres I’d driven previously.

The first thing I noticed was in the winter, I became aware that the tyres rode very hard until warmed up which took a few miles and up to thirty minutes before their road holding felt reasonably secure. There followed a worrying time on an autobahn with steering ‘wander’ at high speed, something I’d never been concerned about with the premium tyres with which the car was previously shod. Then, just last week, a large carbuncle appeared, fortunately on the outside edge of one of the tyres which I noticed straight away so I’m now replacing both of them. At this stage they have covered only about one third of the typical mileage I expect from tyres on this car.

I won’t mention any particular brand because I’m not an expert although I’ve bought an awful lot of tyres in nearly two million miles of driving. My only words of caution are that there has to be a reason for the price differentials between tyres. Or, as they say “You get what you pay for”!

• Like 1