A point for discussion

Raistlin

It is an accepted fact that the later six-speed automatic transmission (ZF) in, for example, the diesel S-Type, requires a very specific ATF, Lifeguard being seen as the best and substitutes such as Mannol being seen by some as acceptable, but NEVER... NEVER, standard ATF.

My point for discussion is this:-

I know of a diesel S-Type (not mine) that had the transmission filled with standard ATF (Dexron 3 or equivalent) and has since been driven 10 000 miles without a problem.

Over to you :yes:

Hi Paul

at the end of the day, Oil is Oil, basically the gearbox is a hydraulic pump, solenoid valves and clutches

so it will work because its a Oil, so you will get oil pressure, valves and clutches will operate, but theres many intricate part that are not designed for that oil

but remember this gearbox is used in the s-type r, which pushes over 400 BHP through it, whilst it will work, in a car used daily with no abuse

run hard and your going to get severe wear, atf just aint up to it

remember it was supposed to be sealed for life, so the oil they fitted was the best available and was designed to last many years

atf has to be changed regular, as it degrades fast with heat and abuse

the question is, "would you put it in your gearbox ?", I know I would definately would not use it mine, I would only use Lifeguard 6, as Jaguar recommend

also the zf 6 speed, has the ecu built in and is constantly emmersed in trans oil, which must make it a special oil

my next question "would you buy a car off someone who you know has used atf in his zf trans"

To me its like using Tesco engine oil in a ferrari, these gearboxes were fitted to jaguars, landrovers, audis, mercedes, maseratis are just a few, its just penny pinching

this how cars get bad names, people doing there own maintenance using far inferior parts than recommended and wonder why they break.

cheers

Joe

hi

It will work because its Oil, but wont last if its used hard

you also have to remember, when you drain the ZF gearbox Oil, you can only get about 5.5 litres out, but the gearbox holds 10 litres

so your only adding some of the Oil, It wont fail instantaneously and if driven sensible could still last years, but if driven hard, it will fail.

the lifeguard 6 is chosen for extended protection,life and smoothness

I bet it does not drive as nice as it should, I bet the shifts are a lot harsher

cheers

joe

Hi-I totally agree with Joe you must use the correct Oil as stated they are not chosen at random 

the Oil is made up of all the correct ingredients for that box etc as they say for its lifetime and to

make it do everything smoothly ---any cheap Oil works but just cannot do the same .

Frank

I just had to make this call on one of my Discoveries, various people plus the mechanic said ATF was fine in the manual gearbox, it's widely used in Land Rovers. But MTF94 is actually recommended. I went for that but did screw a good trade price from the auto factor to cover some of the difference 😉

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership