S Type 'R' budget

Claws

Hi Guys 

Redundancy now confirmed 

So starting to put together an idea of costs, should I take the plunge, and wanted some input / help from those much more experienced than I.

The link below gives an idea of what I will be looking for, although the mileage is a little too high for my liking, I would prefer 80k or below. Is 9k  a very strong price? And any idea of part ex value I can expect for mine, 1k 1.5k maybe 

many thanks as always for any help

Steve

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607065585335?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&price-from=500&maximum-mileage=up_to_100000_miles&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&maximum-badge-engine-size=4.5&searchcontext=default&page=2&postcode=se129bw&radius=1500&sort=atcustom&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=6

Hard for me to say based on what I paid for mine !

I think the price for that one is a bit strong based on the mileage but it does look a very nice car ?

Condition and service history rather than 'low' mileage would be my criteria, depending on price of course !

I found this one that seems a sensible asking price.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607236126471?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&sort=default&searchcontext=default&radius=1500&postcode=bb90at&page=2&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=10

2 minutes ago, The Voices said:

Hard for me to say based on what I paid for mine !

I think the price for that one is a bit strong based on the mileage but it does look a very nice car ?

Condition and service history rather than 'low' mileage would be my criteria, depending on price of course !

I found this one that seems a sensible asking price.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607236126471?search-target=usedcars&make=jaguar&model=s-type&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&sort=default&searchcontext=default&radius=1500&postcode=bb90at&page=2&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=10

That is nice and good price. High road tax.

I think mine is £515 road tax (anything from March 2006 ?)

Is the pre-2006 road tax £290 per year ?

If so, only a cost difference of three tanks full of V-Power, if the right car comes along and happens to be in the higher tax bracket.

40 minutes ago, The Voices said:

I think mine is £515 road tax (anything from March 2006 ?)

Is the pre-2006 road tax £290 per year ?

If so, only a cost difference of three tanks full of V-Power, if the right car comes along and happens to be in the higher tax bracket.

The cut off date is March 23rd.

Have a look at -

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

Note the note at bottom of table.

So £295 per year (pre-23/3/2006) instead of £515 after that date.

I wouldn't base my choice of which car to buy on the £220 difference but worth bearing in mind.

As one of the supermarkets say 'every little helps'

HI

Is all I can say is don't rush into buying one

I waited for the right one and eventually I found it

I waited and ended up traveling a bit, but got myself a really nice 2004, STR, with full Jaguar service history and low miles covered just over 30k and looks like it only came out when it was sunny, as the body work and sill are like new

I prefer pre face lift STR's, I just like the look better, I think they were built slightly better, had better brakes and had more equipment fitted

cheers

Joe

Thanks Guys 

I had forgotten the road tax thing, although as you say Jon only a couple of hundred quid, but, I will chuck that into the mix while I make a decision. I also need to take into account the uplift in insurance, the MPG will of course get worse, but you don't buy a 400 BHP supercharged V8 if you need to worry about the extra running cost! I will have a budget set aside for extra stuff that May need doing, such as a Parrot system if the car doesn't have Jag voice, I already have a CDC sitting in the spare room if needed.

It will have to be a trader deal as I want a px, and I'm certainly not handing over several grand to a bloke on the street!

I wont be rushing into a buy Russ, as you quite rightly say, I'll be looking around as there are somethings I would want, I love the ivory leather interior, I like BRG / JRG but wouldn't be my first choice, the grey one in the link is really nice, also fancy Black. Having some more toys would be nice also. 

The big thing for me is the mileage, as i mentioned above, 80k or below would be my target, I understand I may have to compromise a little on that. The history of course is also very important, however one thing I've never really understood is, the concerns surrounding multiple owners? Is that concern based on the fear it could be a 'Problem' car hence it being moved on so many times?

I'm thinking a budget of 5-7k including my 3.0 in that deal, could get me what I want? I can increase if needed (would rather not of course) do you think that's realistic? 

Where do I start with px value? Do I go strong at asking for 2k and let the dealer bring me down to say 1.5k or are my expectations too high already?

10 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

HI

Is all I can say is don't rush into buying one

I waited for the right one and eventually I found it

I waited and ended up traveling a bit, but got myself a really nice 2004, STR, with full jaguar service history and low miles covered just over 30k and looks like it only came out when it was sunny, as the body work and sill are like new

I prefer pre face lift STR's, I just like the look better, I think they were built slightly better, had better brakes and had more equipment fitted

cheers

Joe

I think your right on the pre face lifts are better built, my 3.0 V6 2005 face lift is the worst S I have owned. After owning a 99, late 02 and 05, the 02 car was the best!

Can't agree on the later cars 'worse' build quality, at least they ironed out most of the 'bugs' as the lifecycle of the car progressed.

The earlier cars had less equipment fitted as standard, no satellite navigation for example, but it is down to an individual car as to what was ordered from the factory.

Regarding the brakes, I have driven both the Brembo equipped cars and the later ATE / Teves equipped cars and can't say that I noticed any difference in braking performance.

At the time when we dropped the Brembo brakes, I was very dubious that the new setup could be anywhere near as good but was very pleasantly suprised.

There are two theories as to why we moved away from Brembo as a supplier, the first is just down to cost, cheaper to use the ATE setup.

The second theory is dissatisfaction with the quality of the Brembo brakes, we used to get loads of complaints from customers about warped discs, excessive pad and disc wear and the 'dealer' replacement costs which were horrendous because of the cost of the parts.

These days, there are plenty of aftermarket brake suppliers doing 'Brembo compatible' discs and pads and the Brembo calipers look miles better !

Prices for the 'R' seem to be all over the place and not that many for sale at any one time due to the small number that were sold new.

Go and have a look at a few and get a feel for what you get for the money, bear in mind that the newest one you can buy is now 9 years old though !

Thanks Jon

very informative information, perhaps buying a newer one is the way to go then. 

it will be 3-4 months I think before I go looking, unless something spectacular comes up. Because as you say they are quite thin on the ground, so I could be traveling all over the place just viewing them. I will find one and investigate, if it turns out to be a wrong-un! Then I'll search again 

In the meantime, I have to convince SWMBO that there's some logic to purchasing another car, after only 1 year of owning my current S Type 

Steve, here is what I do to bring Sue around to my way of thinking.

I utilise a subtle blend of psychology and extreme stupidity.

When I wanted to buy the first Impreza, I spent weeks talking about buying a Nissan Skyline R33 GTR until she was fed up of hearing about them.

The Impreza then seemed like a 'sensible' alternative.

Just start looking at something like a cheap Maserati or other similar monumental money pit (pretty much anything Italian)

If you manage to make a convincing job of the deception, the S-Type R will look like a rational purchase !

Or

If you like a bit of danger and excitement in a relationship, casually walk in one afternoon and whilst discussing your day at work, drop in 'oh, by the way, I bought another car today'

Better than the New Years Eve fireworks !

Or so the crash team told me when I came round in A and E.

• Like 1

Love it!

however beating her into submission (verbally of course) is no longer an option, I've already had the "Don't talk to me anymore about cars" comment 

the second option is just to scary :w00t: not a fan of hospital food, nor do I fancy 2 to 3 days of the silent treatment! Although I suppose I could kip in the back of the STR?

i was considering the puppy eyed, quivering bottom lip approach?

1 hour ago, Claws said:

Love it!

however beating her into submission (verbally of course) is no longer an option, I've already had the "Don't talk to me anymore about cars" comment 

the second option is just to scary :w00t: not a fan of hospital food, nor do I fancy 2 to 3 days of the silent treatment! Although I suppose I could kip in the back of the STR?

i was considering the puppy eyed, quivering bottom lip approach?

'2 to 3 days of the silent treatment'  yes please!

• Like 1