MPG.

Old Peter

We have just got back from a week in Dorset.  On the way down, and including some local driving, my s type 2.7 D returned 49.2 miles to the gallon using Shell  premium Diesel.  On the return. the car returned 40.5 mpg using standard ESSO, but a few more [about 20] local miles.

There some roadworks on the M5 in both directions and possibly more on the return journey, but I am rather pleased with the fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Hi there Peter, I hope and trust you and yours are refreshed from your time away in Dorset?? You said in your comments about Shell premium diesel, would that be Shell V-Power?? I ONLY use Shell V-Power, and my 3.0 XF returned very close figures to yours on a trip from Lincolnshire to Bedfordshire, & return, tho, at one point the fuel computer was showing 51.?? MPG which I didn't think was to shabby at all!!!!

All the Best me ole mukka,

Malc ( Phosphor Blue )

We had a great time in Dorset, Malc.

I only use Shell V Power, other than times there is no Shell Station about.

I am not known for hanging about either, and so I was rather pleased with the MPG.

With the extra Shell points you can get, it comes in not much different in cost from the standard fuel.  A premium engine like premium fuel.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Did you measure it brim to brim on the tank or is that from the computer. I use an app and always fill my tank so measure it quite accuratly. . i find the trip computer to be about 10% out my car. 

These are the figures for 5 months of use. My average mpg is 33.67 , best being 36.42 and worst being 31.58. When i got the 36.42 my trip computer was showing 40.6 mpg

i also only use Shell V-power

I would be interested to see if anyone else has done the brim to brim calculation and what their findings are.

11 minutes ago, GaryE said:

Hi Peter

Did you measure it brim to brim on the tank or is that from the computer. I use an app and always fill my tank so measure it quite accuratly. . i find the trip computer to be about 10% out my car. 

These are the figures for 5 months of use. My average mpg is 33.67 , best being 36.42 and worst being 31.58. When i got the 36.42 my trip computer was showing 40.6 mpg

i also only use Shell V-power

I would be interested to see if anyone else has done the brim to brim calculation and what their findings are.

Hi Gary,

I used the trip computer, but several years ago I did a brim to brim check to confirm the MPG and found it quite accurate.

Regards, 

Peter.

Mine doesn't do well for some reason, i drive quite steady and expected it to do a few more mpg than it does, more like the figures you are hitting. I keep her well serviced and she runs great just dont know why my figures are so low.

These are my figures since December 21st last year when I bought the car, copied from my Excel file I keep.

Worst was 24MPG, mucky air filter changed and made a big difference, best was 38 MPG going to Cornwall and back.

Total Gallons   237.33    

Average MPG   31.13    

Total miles         7389    

Cost/Mile       15.76 Pence per mile

Total fuel expense   £1,164.53

I usually try to do a longish journey every month or less  --  National Trust property visits etc -- which kicks up the average somewhat and I normally get about 35 mpg around the town + a few longer journeys.

What I am pleased with is the MPG on the very long drives -  Lake district etc, and with the A38 and M6/M5 only 15 minutes away I do not get many hold ups in town traffic.

The trip on mine usually says an average of about 31.5 mpg.  I reset it every time I fill up and it's always around that figure 450 miles later which is what I can get out of a tank (fuel warning light is well on by then though!).

I've had my S Type a few weeks now and I'm struggling to get an average of 35mpg. I do an average of 200 miles per week to and from work. 98% of that is 60 to 70 mph on A38. Add another 50 miles a week tops, around town driving. How am I doing? Could it be better?

Hi Chris,

I would guess that the miles you do on the A38 are generally not at a steady speed --  at peak times the A38 can be a tad frustrating in that you can't really use cruise control.

I get slightly less from trips round the town and to Lichfield and back in the week.  To get a good mpg you need a long steady run.

I would be happy with an mpg between 30 and 35 on your journeys in the week.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for that Pete, sounds like the car's doing ok then. I have seen on the internet, ways of improving MPG e.g. Terracleaning or some magic black box that can be plugged in. What are your thoughts on these? Are they scams or do they actually have mileage in them?

Hi Chris,

I had my s type terra cleaned two years ago and it really did make a difference both in performance and economy.  The process is shown on a Video from Wheeler Deelers, and it is very beneficial for diesel engines.  There are certain other products that are good for preventative maintenance, such as Diesel Magic, and Wynns DPF cleaner inter alia.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaftMule said:

The trip on mine usually says an average of about 31.5 mpg.  I reset it every time I fill up and it's always around that figure 450 miles later which is what I can get out of a tank (fuel warning light is well on by then though!).

I get about 450-490 out of a tank using shell V-power so it looks as if that is about right then. I don't know why my mpg readout on trip computer is so far out.

I'll have to have a look at the Terracleaning video. There does seem to be a feeling that paying a bit more for diesel will give better results. I would normally go for the cheapest I can find, like Asda or Tesco. If I decide to change, is there an out and out best. I thought diesel was diesel. Whats the difference? Im old enough to remember filling up with 2,3 or 4 star petrol but I didn't realise diesel was graded.

Hi Chris,

While diesel engines are designed to operate on more or less any diesel fuel that is available at petrol stations, the premium diesel fuel has certain additives that the fuel suppliers put in to improve performance.  I always use Shell V power as there is a Shell petrol station 500 yards away  but there are other premium brands available.

The s type 2.7 diesel is a well designed performance engine and is faster than a 1950's Ferrari which took 8.2 seconds to reach 60 mph, and it should have performance  fuel.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi there you guy's, Shell V-Power has a higher ''cetane rating / number'' than its ordinary sister fuel, so like petrol with a higher octane rating / number, you get more ''bang'' hence more power, and apparently a cleaner burn, which is good news for the DPF. 

I also use Archoil 9800 every now and then at tank fill ups, this again, apparently raises the cetane rating, so again, more POWER :w00t::w00t: as well as keeping turbo's and various engine components cleaner for longer :yahoo::yes:

Malc 

In 1963 I used to put 100 Octane petrol into My 250cc Honda Dream, which at 5/8 a gallon was 8d dearer than ordinary 4 star.

It went very nicely, and no speed limit in those days  --  the Preston by pass [now M6] was a great testing area!

Peter.