Advice required

JonCarre

Hi guys, I don't know if you can help me but here goes...

I have had a problem with my 2.0D Sport. Under load the glow plug lights have come on and the engine goes into limp mode, not always but occasionally. The engine is running a little stuttery under cruising and im getting more than normal exhaust fumes. Turning the engine off and restarting resets the issue. After some research it sounded like it was my turbo actuator. I booked the car into the garage who told me they believed the issue was my EGR valve. 

After a diagnostic and inspection they ruled out EGR as they said it was in good condition and they said I needed a refurbished actuator. They charged me £420 for the diagnostic and to fit a replacement actuator.

I got the car back on Thursday, to be fair, it is running better but it's still a little stutters and there is still more than normal exhaust fumes.

The actuator problem seemed to have gone though, until this evening. Travelling back from London to Bournemouth I pulled into Rownhams and as I went to pull back onto the motorway my engine went into limp mode and my glow plug light started flashing! I turned off and on again and it reset the issue.

Also, since getting my car back my parking sensors have gone crazy, either giving me a fault tone when I start the engine or telling me there is something behind me intermittently whilst reversing.

I will be phoning the garage tomorrow as they need to rectify the parking sensors problem but it would appear they haven't fixed the problem I gave them the car to fix.

Who foots the bill for any extra work now? I have paid them £420 for something that they said will fix the issue and it hasn't. I can't really afford to pay £420 for work that possibly didn't even need to be carried out in the first place.

Are they responsible for correcting the problem? Or am I going to be left with a further bill for any extra work?

Hi Jonathan,

The glow plugs issue  does sound a bit like a problem with the fuel system that could well be a cheap fix - a can of Diesel Magic or any other brand of fuel system cleaner could make a big difference.

The electrical problem could be  down to the battery being on the way out, and it would be worth getting it tested.

Let us know how you get on  ---  I would be inclined to keep your wallet deep in your pocket until the garage does something to cure the problem.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

So the car is back in the garage today. I have been told it is a cracked turbo hose that they didn't notice before, £120 including VAT. I can't help thinking that the actuator might never have needed replacing, but I can't prove that one way or the other.

As for the parking sensors, they point blank refuse to accept responsibility. They were working 100% when they picked the car up, as soon as they'd dropped it back, the first time I turned the car over I got the fault tone. I don't see how it can't be something they've done but they want to charge me £140 +VAT to replace the faulty one.

Can't afford that so I'll try and do it myself. I hate garages!

Hi Jonathan,

My son had a cracked turbo hose on his x type.  The mobile mechanic I have used for 15 years spotted it immediately. With a new hose £30] and fitting [awkward job] for £50 the car was as good as new.

Replacing the sensor for £140 +VAT does seem rather pricey as the sensor should only cost about £25

But then, it is a garage and you do live in Dorset  ---    that's South West prices for you!

Regards,

Peter.

me too,   i hate garages as you feel like that your being ripped off, i do most of my work myself but it depends on if i can get accesses to the part ` plus if ive got the tools.  i do hope that you can get this issue sorted.  best of luck ......dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there if you need some rear sensors I'm breaking an X-Type and will gladly send you them.

I've seen what they are on eBay and I will do a deal cheaper as I need the car gone asap 

Email me if you are interested 

dukesdave@googlemail.com 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership