about to buy an XK - any advice please

Jon W

Hi Chaps, about to fulfill a lifelong (52 now) ambition to own a Jag - but really know nothing about the potential pitfalls and what to look out for.

Looking to purchase a 2006/2007 XK for about £14k.

A few questions if you can help out please:

1. have two kids (8 and 11). Will they fit/be comfoirtable in rear seats for shortish journeys

2. what little research I have done indicates a potential problem with air con drain leaks - how can I determine if this has or will be an issue

3. any other issues  I should be aware of (I have accepted high running costs)

4. Does anyone have any experience of Chilterns of Bovingdon (they are the nearest dealer to me).  http://www.chilternjag.co.uk/

Thanks and Happy New Year

Jon W

Hi Jon

Not sure myself but I Have been looking my self at them

I know early ones suffered with corrosion and early 4.0 engines had problems with nicasil bores and timing chains, but the 4.2 cured all the problems

found this have a look here http://www.eapj.com/XK-R buyers guide.pdf

cheers

Joe

Hi Jonathan, and welcome to the club.

The XK is a great car and in my opinion  a future classic.  There are several I often see locally from older ones to the later ones.

The issue about the seating in the rear is a problem but a lot depends on how far back the front seats are, and how big the rear seat passengers are.  I would take the kids with you when you are looking for a car you might buy.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Jonathan,

You should be able to get quite a good XK for £14k.

1. Rear leg room is absolutely minimal. I'm only 5ft 10 ins. and there is no leg room behind the driver's seat - I'm also a fat git which doesn't help.:yahoo:

2. Tha air con water leakage can be an expensive issue. Check the carpets in the passenger footwell - lift them up and check to see if there is any evidence of water damage to the material. There is a "card-board" type cover between the footwell and the underside of the dashboard - have a good look at its condition as water ingress tends to damage it.

It is not possible to see the location of the modified duck-bill drain unless you have access to a borescope type video camera. If you are buying from Chilterns - they will know of the problem and its fix - insist on evidence it has been completed. Apart from damage to carpets and trim, water ingress can cause damage to the A/C blower motor and control module. If you check some of the other Jag sites you will find numerous fixes. These are really work arounds. The official Jag fix is to remove the dashboard to fit the modified duck-bill drain and is obviously expensive but very effective. Let me know if you need further info - I think I still have some illustrations/photos.

3. Other issues - check everything electrical for correct function and operation. The XK/XKR is quite critical on battery voltage and can throw up a number of weird problems - a new battery generally fixes most issues  - if possible check the date on the battery - its located in the boot. Most members use a battery conditioner like the CTEK item.

If the car is a coupe - check the rear passenger windows. Open the doors and check to see if the the rear passenger windows can be moved - the brackets that secure the bottom of the windows to the rear wings tend to break. Its an easy fix but you have to buy a window assembly - something you need to make sure the seller sorts out.

4. I've never had any direct dealings with Chilterns but they seem to have a good reputation. Push for the longest warranty you can get.

Whilst all of the above may sound a little worrying, my previous XK was a 2006 and I used it daily for work. I owned it for three years , did an average of 25,000 miles per annum and apart from regular maintenance I only put petrol in it. Sold it last year with 130,000 miles on the clock and it still ran like clockwork. I now have a 2010 XKR 5.0l - so none the problems mentioned above managed to put me off :yes:

2 tips I can offer should you decide to buy - first, make sure you have access to a good Jaguar independent garage - Jaguar main dealer prices will make your eyes water.

Secondly, get yourself a good supply of fresh lemons to suck to get rid of the inane grin the car will put on your face :yahoo: - its a lot cheaper than the Jag main dealer but has the same effect.

Good luck with your purchase - you are going to love it - any other questions, let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist.

John D

• Like 1

Hi John D,

Happy New Year.

On my car, though I have no water ingress, the cardboard cover you mentioned had deteriorated so much I was catching the top of my shoes in it. It was actually quite danderous!

The damage was done by previous owners.

I then cut away the damaged areas but now find the heat is roasting my feet.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement and having it fitted by my local 'trimmers' who can 'whip' the seat out for easy access.

Hi Jon W, Just buy one, the sheer experience of the drive and the admiring comments from a myriad of  people is well worth it.

Graham.

Hi Guys, thanks for all your feedback and advice.  All very helpful.

It all rests on kids fitting in the back - will hopefully squeeze them in one tomorrow!

Will update with final outcome.

Jon W 

Hi Graham,

Long time no speak !!!

Happy New Year yo you too.

Fitting the replacement cover should be quite easy - its held in place by some "omega shaped" cross section clips which just push into place. Must admit I never tried the drivers side only the passenger side which is easier with the steering wheel out of the way.

Hi Jon W,

Good luck with the "fitting". Fortunately my kids have "grown up" but have developed some homing-pigeon habits - but there's no way I'm changing my XKR for them now - the best they can hope for is that I can get a roof rack for it :iim: - only joking of course :thumbup:

John D

The main issue is going to be rear seat room: Old Peter is right, and the kids should try it!

It may well be fine for short distances, but I have my doubts about longer journeys.

That said, street cred is sky high, and you may find that the children love it, if only because it enhances their reputations no end!

Hi Jon,

Just bought an XKR after owning 2 XJ's for 10 years.  Really you should consider the XKR as a 2 seater unless you are family with 2 kids in baby safety seats. I am 5ft9 and there is no room for the average 10 / 11 year old.  XJ's or XF's are superb for family with luxury and performance.

I have always considered the back seats a waste of space: True, 2 kids in baby safety seats would be comfy, but getting them in would involve enough twists and turns to keep a gymnast in trim.

Having said this, others disagree, and say that their sub teen kids use them very happily.

I cannot image 10 and 11 year olds fitting in the back. I have my seat far back and can just accommodate two of my grandchildren (the 3 and the 6 year old small girls) but frankly its a complete no go.  It really is a 2 seater.

• Like 1