xk8 tow bar

antcaw

I think that the XKR is not suited to tow caravans due to its weight.  I was a caravanner for many years, & aware the the ratio of caravan weight to the kerb weight of the car should be 85%.  The engine size is immaterial over circa 2 litres.

Peter.

To add to my previous post, there seems to be an indication by Jaguar that the XKR does not make a suitable car for towing a caravan.

It is also an interesting fact that a Black Cab, inspite of its power and weight, is limited for towing anything over 500 kg by its manufacturer.  The XKR is limited to 0kg.

Peter.

Hi Antcaw,

My worry in using the XK8 as a tow car is basically due to the towing limit applied to the car by the manufacturer.  The XK8 get a 0kg rating from a site which I read yesterday.  The kerb weight rule of 85% for the towed caravan/trailer must be nullified by that inaction.

A friend of mine tows a large caravan with a 2 litre diesel Freelander quite comfortably, but when I used a 2.5 litre Rover it was limited by Rover to 1400kg,

There is also another issue which is affected by the wheelbase of the car which is the downward pressure on the tow ball by the caravan  --  too much or too little could cause serious handling difficulties.

Engine pulling power is also another issue.  I was thinking of buying a Chrysler some years ago.  The car itself weighed about 2500 kg and the 3 litre engine had plenty of torque but Chrysler limited its towing limit to 1500kg.

My feelings are to stay within the limits from the manufacturer and the fact that you cannot buy a towbar for the vehicle itself. I think that would affect its legal status.

Regards,

Peter.

17 hours ago, Old Peter said:

Hi Antcaw,

My worry in using the XK8 as a tow car is basically due to the towing limit applied to the car by the manufacturer.  The XK8 get a 0kg rating from a site which I read yesterday.  The kerb weight rule of 85% for the towed caravan/trailer must be nullified by that inaction.

A friend of mine tows a large caravan with a 2 litre diesel Freelander quite comfortably, but when I used a 2.5 litre Rover it was limited by Rover to 1400kg,

There is also another issue which is affected by the wheelbase of the car which is the downward pressure on the tow ball by the caravan  --  too much or too little could cause serious handling difficulties.

Engine pulling power is also another issue.  I was thinking of buying a Chrysler some years ago.  The car itself weighed about 2500 kg and the 3 litre engine had plenty of torque but Chrysler limited its towing limit to 1500kg.

My feelings are to stay within the limits from the manufacturer and the fact that you cannot buy a towbar for the vehicle itself. I think that would affect its legal status.

Regards,

Peter.

thanks peter but I have the gear to do it, with an 8 pot motor 4 ltr, I'm going to go for it. there will problems with balance, rear suspension etc  but thankyou peter.

Edited by antcaw
add more

6 hours ago, antcaw said:

thanks peter but I have the gear to do it, with an 8 pot motor 4 ltr, I'm going to go for it. there will problems with balance, rear suspension etc  but thankyou peter.

Good luck  --   But do check with your insurance before you start the modification to the car.

Peter.

You are going to need to cut holes in the bodywork, and weld on steel to the chassis to provide a suitable fixing point.

You will also need to beef up the rear springs and shock absorbers, which will ruin the handling when not towing.

The tow ball will have to be set very high in relation to the height of the XK8 if the caravan is to be reasonably level.

Picturing this in my mind's eye is not pleasant.....

Having done all of that, you may still find the tail wagging the dog.

I had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L which was downright dangerous as a tow car, due to snaking developing at anything over 50mph. I thought I was going to turn over once when it started a violent snake going downhill at 55mph: I had to accelerate out of it, which meant going up to 70mph. I was taking a huge risk doing that, but had no option. I sold the Cherokee before my next towing trip, and bought a Nissan Patrol LWB. The weight was right, the geometry was right, and it was a superb tow vehicle.

This taught me how vitally important it is to have the correct car/caravan combination: Not only my own life, but lives of my family depended on it, to say nothing of the safety of other road users.

• Like 2

HI Leo,

You are quite correct.  It is not the engine of a car that makes a vehicle that will tow a caravan, but quite a few other things.  The manufacturer rates the  XK8 as having  0% ability to tow., and my thinking is like yours.  An XK8 towing a caravan can be a massive road hazard, and when you have seen a caravan overturning you don't want to see another.

No matter what power the engine has the capability of the chassis is the key to what makes a tow car.  A Land Rover Defender with a four cylinder 1998 Diesel will pull a large twin axle caravan, and a 5 litre F Pace will not,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

In the case of the Jeep Cherokee, on paper it looked to be a good towcar, and I fully expected it to tow very well. 

I think that the problem lay in the length of the rear overhang.

Articulated lorries tow with the hitch directly above the rear axle, and the nearer the tow hitch is to the rear axle, the better a vehicle tows.

In the case of the XK8, the hitch is going to be a long way behind the rear axle, and that fact in itself is going to make it a poor choice for towing.

There is a danger of compromising the lines and the handling of one of the most beautiful cars ever built, and then finding it unsuitable for towing anything more than one of those trailers you can buy at Halfords.

hi' I'm towing with a 2.8 td Cherokee and it's fine, with an altko stabliser there is no snaking,  the jeep is 150 hp half an xk8, I would never trust welding the chassis, removable nuts and bolts only, apart from handling  I never tow over fifty,  the balance of the caravan is very important  thankyou, everyone,

• Like 1

My Cherokee was a good many years ago, so your model will no doubt be later than mine. I was using a geometric (trapezium) stabiliser which was great on my previous Range Rover, and the later Nissan Patrol.

How does the rear overhang on the XK8 compare with that on your Cherokee?

4WDs are often good for towing because the wheels are nearer the corners, to give good approach and departure angles off road. The good old Defender 90 is a perfect example.

hi' I'm towing with a 2.8 td Cherokee and it's fine, with an altko stabliser there is no snaking,  the jeep is 150 hp half an xk8, I would never trust welding the chassis, removable nuts and bolts only, apart from handling  I never tow over fifty,  the balance of the caravan is very important  thankyou, everyone,

No, though I did have a spring bar before that. The trapezium stabiliser works on a very clever principle which effectively makes the system work as if the tow ball is about a foot closer to the rear axle of the tow vehicle. It also has friction pads in the ball part of the hitch, and overall was far more effective than the spring bar.

I have just tried to find the one I used, but gather that they are no longer in production: not because there was anything wrong with them, but for type approval reasons or something like that.

As you know I have misgivings, but I do hope it works out to your satisfaction.

Since 2009 towbar and electrics have been included in the MOT test, Unless the vehicle manufacture has included dedicated chassis fixing points whether the towbar frame is fitted with a tow ball or not at the time of testing there's a very good chance it will fail the MOT. I would have thought wiring the electrics would turn out a complete nightmare as it's also is part of the test as it would have to auto turn off the cars rear fog & reversing lamps plus show the correct dashboard lights while connected to a trailer.