Side Reflectors Painted

Luis Freeman

Hi all!

New to the S type owners club so just wanted to share a few bits that have been done to the new Jag.

I had the cars side reflectors painted to match the bodywork because not keen on how they were before.

Attached are some pictures of the car before and after the job had been done.

AutoTrader.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_61892.jpg

Are those not indicators, rather than simple reflectors?

If you have painted over them, what have you done to make sure that they still serve their intended purpose?

I know that you can remove the orange glass and replace with clear glass and orange bulbs, but from your photos and description that does not appear to be what you have done.

47 minutes ago, Leo said:

Are those not indicators, rather than simple reflectors?

If you have painted over them, what have you done to make sure that they still serve their intended purpose?

I know that you can remove the orange glass and replace with clear glass and orange bulbs, but from your photos and description that does not appear to be what you have done.

No Leo they are reflectors they don't have bulbs in them. Only U.S spec have them I think. I saw a picture that someone else had done and decided to have it done on mine cause I didn't like the reflectors.

I don't know really why they put them there I've never liked them.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luis Freeman said:

No Leo they are reflectors they don't have bulbs in them. Only U.S spec have them I think. I saw a picture that someone else had done and decided to have it done on mine cause I didn't like the reflectors.

I don't know really why they put them there I've never liked them.  

Thanks Luis, I was not aware of this! The side ones do look exactly like repeater lights.

Hi Luis I think you will find they are there to protect your car from someone coming side on to you

when parked --Grey misty night grey car --the first thing a driver would see is the reflectors .?????

but as they say its up to you ????   I don't know how the law stands on this???

Frank

Those in the wing are definitely indicator repeaters. Having had both my front wings off recently I can confirm that :)

I believe construction and use regulations require repeaters (where fitted) to be functional and to show light of the correct colour.

47 minutes ago, O.T.H said:

Hi Luis I think you will find they are there to protect your car from someone coming side on to you

when parked --Grey misty night grey car --the first thing a driver would see is the reflectors .?????

but as they say its up to you ????   I don't know how the law stands on this???

Frank

Hi Frank I wasn't sure on that I just thought they were reflectors for as you say at night for people to see in car parks etc. Oh well they are done now and the car does not really do night driving. but cheers on that

Luis.

37 minutes ago, Old Peter said:

Welcome to the Club, Luis,

My s type [an 07 plate] has them similar, but with one difference.  Bulbs.

They are side repeaters with bulbs in them.  I would be inclined to check them out just in case.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for that I know they don't have bulbs in them cause they were took out for paint and I just naturally assumed it was supposed to be like that. Oh well its done now and the car doesn't really do night driving that much so should be ok.

Cheers

Luis

27 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

Those in the wing are definitely indicator repeaters. Having had both my front wings off recently I can confirm that :)

I believe construction and use regulations require repeaters (where fitted) to be functional and to show light of the correct colour.

Ok cheers for that, I'm new to owning a Jag can you tell? :)

The car is in Portugal so I don't know the regulations for that but shouldn't be too much of a problem they look like Jag made them like that.

Cheers

Hi

I like it !!,

I'm going to do mine in summer and even have a go at making the marker reflectors in clear in summer

got all the stuff ready, just got make the mould, Had a go at making some obsolete plastic gears last year, they came out a treat

will let you know how i go on,

cheers

Joe

Hi ---I found this in UK law.???

Type Position Specification
Side retro reflectors Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986 and trailers manufactured before 1 October 1985 require two side reflectors positioned:
  • not less than 350 millimetres from the ground;
  • not more than 1,500 millimetres from the ground;
  • so that the front side reflector is towards the centre of the vehicle, and the rear one within one metre of the rear of the vehicle.
Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 and trailers manufactured on or after 1 October 1985 require side reflectors to be positioned so that one reflector is within 4 metres of the front of the vehicle, one within l metre of the rear of the vehicle and so that there is no gap of more than 3 metres (4 metres if this is not practicable) between any two adjacent reflectors.
Side reflectors must be:
  • amber (red if within one metre of rear of vehicle);
  • in accordance with specified angles of visibility for new vehicles, otherwise plainly visible to the side;
  • not triangular in shape.

Frank

Hi Joe I'm not saying you should or should not ---and I think i would have changed mine

when I was younger as long as it didn't effect  the MOT but now at my age I live in the

slow lane if you know what I mean.??

Frank

Edited by O.T.H
if I had a S Type

Hello guys

I think the history of this particular requirement goes back several years and, if I remember correctly, began with United States safety directives. Until glass became so creatively applied, most headlamps and auxiliary lights were positioned on the front and rear of vehicles. The US safety directives required that signals had to be visible on the sides of vehicles, for the benefit of other road users who might not actually be in a position to see the front/rear lights clearly. Very many designers achieved this effectively with wrap-around lighting which is currently ubiquitous except that the retro-characteristics of the S Type Jaguar feature circular lamps, placed very much in the style of earlier vehicles - at the front and not always visible from the sides. Hence the side indicators on the S Type fulfill both safety and legal requirements. I hope this is helpful.     

I posted about this last year, as I'd changed to clear indicator repeaters and wondered if I could do similar with the reflectors. In the end I decided not to paint over or vinyl wrap as I think that on balance they are a safety feature. But if there was an option to have them reflective but clear (not orange) in colour, I'd go for that. So very interested in Joe's idea of moulding them, I'll potentially have a set if this was possible Joe! I have a laser cutting business, working with a lot of plastics, so if I could be of any assistance here, I'd be happy to help :wink1:

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

I like it !!,

I'm going to do mine in summer and even have a go at making the marker reflectors in clear in summer

got all the stuff ready, just got make the mould, Had a go at making some obsolete plastic gears last year, they came out a treat

will let you know how i go on,

cheers

Joe

I would also be interested in this.

There's a US based outfit called Klearz that used to do the clear side markers. They are still advertising the front ones but they are out of stock and have been for about 18 months. I contacted then and they said they needed new moulds and MIGHT be manufacturing them again in 2017!. They are manufactured to take a Bulb per the US regulations so in answer to an earlier question, the side markers are common to all regions but in the UK they were not fitted with bulbs. Interestingly, the 2005 XKR I had (before my divorce) was pre-wired and Adamesh did (probably still do) supply clear replacements with white LED's for the fronts and red LED's for the rears. Just needed to pop out the originals, find the taped up harness, connect them up to the new ones and away you go. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the side indicator (the one behind the front wheel) which everyone is saying there's a Bulb behind isn't painted, he's just replaced the orange lens with a clear one. I have done the exact same.

I was surprised there weren't any clear reflector replacements anywhere! The orange really looks horrific.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Why on earth would you paint over a safety feature like amber side reflectors, which are a good safety aid when pulling out of or reversing out of a driveway or junction at night. I have converted them on my S Type to lights and did the same with my X350 side markers, a brilliant safety aid that's why the USA Jags have side marker lights and not just reflectors. Maybe the UK will catch up with this one day. David?