Bit of an absence

JonUp

Hi all, joined this forum nearly 2 years ago but not been active (to the point where I forgot I had a profile active on here)!... my bad as I am also on another of the S-Type forums.

Anyway, have read through loads of interesting posts and seems I've been missing out! Glad I took another look and er .... Hi :-)

Well done Sir!

I was very much hoping to do a similar job with the rear woofers, as having these use the boot as an enclosure would seem to offer much more than the smaller drivers and plastic enclosure from the premium sound upgrade. I'd really appreciate picking your brains re sizes, specs and method used. I don't suppose those holes are factory standard, they look too clean for DIY! It looks like you've finished it beautifully, kudos to you!

What's with the little DAB unit in centre console? Did you think this a better option that replacing the head unit with a newer double din one? I have an older 2001 X200, so may go down the route of head unit if I can find something suitable, as despite having the CDC in the boot, the tape deck is too retro / archaic!

Amazing work on the gearbox, not many people would attempt this, but well done and why not! 

Good work and hope to hear more about the details soon :yes:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Russ68 said:

Well done Sir!

I was very much hoping to do a similar job with the rear woofers, as having these use the boot as an enclosure would seem to offer much more than the smaller drivers and plastic enclosure from the premium sound upgrade. I'd really appreciate picking your brains re sizes, specs and method used. I don't suppose those holes are factory standard, they look too clean for DIY! It looks like you've finished it beautifully, kudos to you!

What's with the little DAB unit in centre console? Did you think this a better option that replacing the head unit with a newer double din one? I have an older 2001 X200, so may go down the route of head unit if I can find something suitable, as despite having the CDC in the boot, the tape deck is too retro / archaic!

Amazing work on the gearbox, not many people would attempt this, but well done and why not! 

Good work and hope to hear more about the details soon :yes:

Hi Russ,

Well .... the gearbox work is nothing to do with me, I had it refurbed at Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow (ZF agents) who were kind enough to take the photos for me while doing the work :-) I think the slab of beer I used as a bribe helped considerably! Retrofits, Audio etc is about my limitation. 

The audio was somewhat time consuming but worth the effort. Interestingly, the holes in the rear shelf are factory. Mine didn't have premium sound but the holes are there so the JL Audio 6W3v3-4 (x2) subs fit with a little trimming of the rubber surrounds on them where they meet in the middle and obviously new holes for the mounting screws.

As I have the touchscreen, I wasn't about to strip it out and fit the non touchscreen climate panel and a 2 DIN unit. I have also fitted an ACM so the DAB unit and my IPOD connect via this.

So originally, my S had the basic sound with touchscreen but ALL the wiring was there ready and waiting for the premium sound along with the 2 holes in the rear shelf. I retrofitted a premium amp then took the speaker output from the premium amp and fed into an Audiocontrol LC8i which is a line output converter on steroids. In simple terms it is an eight channel, high-performance, line-output converter that accepts two, four, six or eight channels of speaker-level signal from a factory-installed amplifier (the Jaguar premium amp in my setup) or source unit and convert it to a high-quality, low-noise pre-amp signal which I feed into a JL Audio XD7005v2 700W 5-Channel Amplifier with JL Audio C3-650 front speakers, JBL coax rear speakers and JL Audio 6W3v3-4 (x2) subs. The LC8i also allows you to sum the signals from the inputs of Channels 2, 3, and/or 4. In other words, it allowed me to take the crossed over signal from the 8 front speaker outputs from the premium amp (into channels 1 & 2) and convert them into one high quality phono pre-amp signal which goes into the JL Audio amp. From there they go into the JL Audio crossovers for the C3-650 front speakers. Channel 3 is used to convert the rear speaker output from the premium amp into another high quality phono output for the JL Audio amp that feed the JBL coax speakers in the rear doors. Channel 4 is used for the two JL Audio subs in the same way.

As your car is pre the 2002.5 facelift, the setup is different for premium sound and sub location etc but anything is possible and achievable :-) I'm afraid all my knowledge is on my 2003 S

Hope that helps in some way and let me know if you need more info ... cheers ..... Jon

• Like 1

Hmmm, that really is food for thought Jon. I don't think I'm going to go down exactly the same route but I'll certainly take inspiration from what you've done.

The 6W3v3 subs are listed as 17.4cm, which is a slightly unconventional size I believe. If they needed trimming, could the holes be for a more conventional 16.5cm speaker I wonder? I'll have a poke about on mine and see what I have, the 2001 X200 could be completely different, but I hope not. If there are factory holes for 6 1/2" speakers, then these are what I'll use.

I'm not clear if the LC8i is a crossover, allowing me to divide the output frequencies to the most appropriate speakers. I've done this before using hifi 2 and 3 way crossovers, letting the bass units have everything under c2Khz and running the mid and high into coaxials, but this was years ago and there may be better methods now. 

I imagine it sounds amazing, the S-Type is an excellent platform for ICE!

Cheers, Russ :wink1:

I used the 6W3v3-4: 6.5-inch (165 mm) Subwoofer. They slot in near perfectly to the factory holes. Not sure where the 17.4cm comes from?  Link is here http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/6w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92145 

The trimming was only on the very outer rubber edge ( circled in red on the photo) where the speakers butt up to each other and not very much trimming needed at that.

No, the LC8i is a glorified line output converter. It takes the speaker level outputs from the Jag premium amp and converts them into proper phono signals. In simple terms, I wired all the speaker outputs from the Jag premium amp into the LC8i which converts them into proper phono pre-amp signals that I fed into the JL Audio XD7005v2 700W 5-Channel Amp. This amp then feeds all the speakers in the car. The fronts (being components) are fed via the JL Audio crossovers that come with the speakers.

As for differences between the X200 and X202 then yes there are differences and your sub location is completely different plus I think there are speakers in the dash but i'm not sure about that. Having said that, the world is your lobster :-) If you plan it like I planned mine then , as I said, anything is possible!

Oh and yes ..... it sounds absolutely amazing :-)

DSC_0040.gif

Well that's just wrong! ... check the JL Audio UK web site for the proper data :yes:

The photo below is the heart of the beast :walkman: I have marked in red where the speaker output from the premium amp comes into the LC8i (bottom red oval) and where the phono signal from the rear of the LC8i comes into the JL Audio amp (top). The speaker wires from the JL Audio amp are obviously at top right.

DSC_0034.gif

• Like 1

I had a look at the parcel shelf in the X200 and the speaker cut outs are different, looking more to accommodate 6x9"'s at the end than the 2x6.5" in the middle like yours Jon. So I'm considering mounting the drivers on an MDF baffle, which can't hurt acoustically in any case. I'll have a proper measure up at the weekend and see what can be done...