Nearside front footwell soaking

bertie1249

Well yesterday was the first time I drove the car since purchasing it at Christmas.

Travelled four hours to South Wales as youngest daughter was having her first child.

Got in the car today and noticed the carpet  on the passenger side appeared to be wet. Lifted the car mat and the carpet was absolutely soaking wet. Felt the carpet up towards the engine and it was bone dry, but the side and front part of the footwell was drenched.

Never owned a car that has done this before so wondering if this is a common problem and can someone suggest a cure? And please no suggestions to buy a pair of flippers and trunks.

14 minutes ago, bertie1249 said:

Well yesterday was the first time I drove the car since purchasing it at Christmas.

Travelled four hours to South Wales as youngest daughter was having her first child.

Got in the car today and noticed the carpet  on the passenger side appeared to be wet. Lifted the car mat and the carpet was absolutely soaking wet. Felt the carpet up towards the engine and it was bone dry, but the side and front part of the footwell was drenched.

Never owned a car that has done this before so wondering if this is a common problem and can someone suggest a cure? And please no suggestions to buy a pair of flippers and trunks.

Could be your sills have rotted

Exactly which model do you have Phil?

If you feel below the glove box at the side above the dampness, is that dry?

A wet footwell can result from a leaking air conditioning pipe which is difficult to get at.

1 hour ago, Leo said:

Exactly which model do you have Phil?

If you feel below the glove box at the side above the dampness, is that dry?

A wet footwell can result from a leaking air conditioning pipe which is difficult to get at.

Sorry should have mentioned 2006 3.0 petrol.

Just been out to check again, and everyone above and around the glovebox is bone dry, but now noticed that the carpet is wet on the rear passenger footwell as well. Checked the rubber seals around the door and they look undamaged. Also removed the plastic trim  next to the rubber seal and it's soaking underneath it. 

I think this rules out the air conditioning. As with all such problems, it is then a question of knowing where the water is, but trying to trace where it came from!

The fact that the rear passenger footwell is wet may be significant. Does the wet carpet extend continuously from front to back, or is ther a dry area in the middle?

Hi

I would look in the boot first, check that is all dry

then I'd remove both door steps trims and push the carpet back and have a look

there was a known fault on early s-type's, that water got in under the rear door step trims

also windscreens some times with age peel and water leaks from behind the glass

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Thank You Joe, and thanks for the link Andy.

I have no idea where the waters coming in from. 

Will have to take it to garage on Monday. 

I've only had the car a couple of weeks and hope I haven't bought a Lemon. 

Only drove it for the first time yesterday and starting to have regrets already.

Don't despair Phil: It may turn out to be easily fixed. Many members spend a little time getting their cars right, and then enjoy the fruits of their labours for years.

1 hour ago, Leo said:

Don't despair Phil: It may turn out to be easily fixed. Many members spend a little time getting their cars right, and then enjoy the fruits of their labours for years.

Cheers Leo, Will cross my fingers for Monday. Hope they can trace it. Boot is as dry as a bone. Had the heater blasting on the carpet for three and a half hours on my unexpected journey home. I thought I was in the Bahamas inside the car and the sweat pouring off me. Had to turn it off in the end as the passenger airbag light came on.  Stopped and restarted car and light went off. 

On the plus side "What a comfortable car to drive". No backache after the journey.

Booked in to the Garage Monday. 

• Like 1

Ok just a quick update guys.

The car went in the garage yesterday and the water was traced to the nearside blocked drainage hole. It was full of leaves, which were cleared and blasted with air.

Was explained to me that apparently leaves get stuck having fallen down the vent just in front of the corner of the bottom left side of outside windscreen??

if that makes sense. He told me in future to periodically put a hose pipe in there and blast water down there and make sure it runs freely out of the bottom of the car. They also wet vac's the carpet to prevent any possible damp smell.

Will keep an eye on it for a while

• Like 1

Hi

Have seen this on cars before, not on the s-type though,  there usually a rubber bit on the drain that goes deformed and hard with age, which usually blocks up

Good they found it,  I've seen them  splash in when you pull off, as that area can hold quite a lot of water and it would have to fill right up to the heater inlet/pollen filter before it come in the car

Cheers

Joe

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

Have seen this on cars before, not on the s-type though,  there usually a rubber bit on the drain that goes deformed and hard with age, which usually blocks up

Good they found it,  I've seen them  splash in when you pull off, as that area can hold quite a lot of water and it would have to fill right up to the heater inlet/pollen filter before it come in the car

Cheers

Joe

That's it Joe, couldn't remember what it was called. It's the air vent on the left  just in front of the windscreen that allows air to go to the heater inlet pollen filter.

He showed me after he'd cleaned all the leaves off. 

He poured water down the front and I could see it flowing freely from underneath the car.

As you said guys I hope it was that and an easy fix. Will have to continue to monitor it, but so far the carpet is dry and we've had a good bit of rain. So crossing my fingers.

• Like 1

here is some pics on the x type, where the scuttle sits and air pollen filter, (but if blocked can cause water ingress )  plus drain hole which is both sides. when i removed my inner wheel liner i found a piece of foam stuck up that was blocking the drain hole, so that was removed... and where you see the grey tape there was a hole,,,but now has a rubber grommet in place. lucky for me i have dealt with this issue and have no problems. air cabin opening .jpginside of bottom channel .jpginner drivers arch .jpg