XK purchased!

Jon W

Hi Chaps, further to my first post a couple of weeks ago, I bought one!

Purchased a Jan 2006 XK navy blue with cream and wood interior (my perfect combo).

For the record, paid £11,500 - 80k on clock and full Jag service history (private seller owned for last eight years).

Extremely happy with it and my kids are happy to squeeze into the back.

Always knew running costs would be high - but 14 miles to the gallon (according to on-board computer) OUTRAGEOUS!

A couple of questions please:

I cannot get mine or my wifes phone to connect to the bluetooth (she has Apple and I have samsung).  The seller could not get his phone to connect too.  Interestingly, I test drove another XK before buying this one and tried unsuccessfully to connect my phone to that car.  Is this a known issue.

I am not sure what is missing, but you can see what I have loaded in the boot.  I guess some sort of "curtain" - any ideas where I can get one from

The car only came with one keyfob.  Seller says second one broken and will post to me.  Can these be repaired, and what is likely cost of repair/replacement.

Thanks for your help and delighted to be part of the family.

Jon W

XK.jpg

Hi Jon, 

At last you have your dream!

On pairing your 'phones I wonder if you have bluetooth fitted in the car.  Mine would not pair with an 05 plated x type, but I had no problem with my 07 s type.

Regarding the boot cover, there are several places that you could try.  I have used the David Manners Group a couple of times and you could also try googling the item - my son's x type estate has a broken cover and it would cost about £200 to get a new replacement.

On the key fob a good auto electrician/locksmith could supply and programme one if not able to repair it.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter.

Congratulations: I think that it is exactly the same colour combination as mine, and the blue is Indigo Blue.

You must be missing the parcel shelf. Jaguar could doubtless supply one (at a price), but I wonder if you could pick one up from a scrapyard. This may not be easy though, because I believe that the stays are easily broken.

The handbook should deal with the pairing of phones. I can't really help there because I rarely have my phone switched on, so have never tried to pair it.

I don't really know what mpg I get. I keep the display set to tell me the range I have left in the tank, which I regard as far more useful information. I don't doubt that I may get as low as 14mpg from a cold start, followed by highly spirited driving, but I think that I probably average something in the low 20s. I did once work out my consumption over a summertime 300 mile round trip on motorways, which worked out at 26mpg.

I don't do a high mileage in the XK, so the mpg is pretty irrelevant to me. Even for those who do a higher mileage, I would suggest that when it comes to calculating the cost of running a car the rate of depreciation can be a more significant factor than the mpg. The rate of depreciation of XKs has tailed off, and I hope that they may even go up in value in years to come.

Well done Jon - enjoy :thumbup:

Have you done a reset on the trip computer ?? If not it could be a reading over many miles. I would fill the tank to the brim then drive some miles and repeat the fill - its then quite easy to calculate the fuel consumption. I have known the trip computer to give some strange results. FYI - my 07 4.2 XK could achieve up to 34 mpg on a run with 100k mlles on it. 

My iPhone paired quite easily with the Jag system - first was a 5s and then a 6s - I just followed the procedure in the Owners manual.

The boot load cover is quite a common problem. It is a solid cover not a curtain type. The retaining clips are quite poor and after time allow the cover to fall down evert time you close the boot - hence they get ditched. I actually did away with the "clever" clips and replaced them with screws - end of !!! Try a check on flea-bay as they often show up there - as previously mentioned - Jaguar main dealer will supply but it would probably be very expensive.

key fobs can be repaired but I understand new replacements can be expensive and will need to be paired with the car on Jaguar software. I also believe there is a specific procedure to follow when paring the key fob which may require deletion of the currently paired keys and then re-pairing all the "new/replacement" keys. Try a few google checks and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

If you need any photos of the boot load cover - let me know and I will sort some out for you.

I've attached a copy of the owners manual just in case you don't have one - its for a 2009 but its pretty much the same as 2007.

Good luck and enjoy.

2009_XK_Owners_Manual.pdf

• Like 1

Hi Jon

Please find attached some photos of the boot cover. For some reason - posting the photos has turned them 90 degrees but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Photos 1 ~ 3 - General views

Photo 4 - Upper catch closed

Photo 5 - Upper catch open

Photo 6 - Lower support  - this is a rubber bung type item which just pushes into place.

Both catches are poor and tend to let the cover drop - they can be adjusted by tightening the screw to expand the rubber bung (difficult to describe but all will become clear when you see them)

Photo 1.JPG

PHOTO 1

Photo 2.JPG

PHOTO 2

Photo 3.JPG

PHOTO 3

Photo 4.JPG

PHOTO 4

Photo 5.JPG

PHOTO 5

Photo 6.JPG

PHOTO 6

On 1/27/2017 at 4:54 PM, Jhdee said:

Hi Jon

Please find attached some photos of the boot cover. For some reason - posting the photos has turned them 90 degrees but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Photos 1 ~ 3 - General views

Photo 4 - Upper catch closed

Photo 5 - Upper catch open

Photo 6 - Lower support  - this is a rubber bung type item which just pushes into place.

Both catches are poor and tend to let the cover drop - they can be adjusted by tightening the screw to expand the rubber bung (difficult to describe but all will become clear when you see them)

Photo 1.JPG

PHOTO 1

Photo 2.JPG

PHOTO 2

Photo 3.JPG

PHOTO 3

Photo 4.JPG

PHOTO 4

Photo 5.JPG

PHOTO 5

Photo 6.JPG

PHOTO 6

thanks for the photos Jhdee - very helpful.

I will see whether I can source the parts.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:15 PM, Leo said:

Congratulations: I think that it is exactly the same colour combination as mine, and the blue is Indigo Blue.

You must be missing the parcel shelf. Jaguar could doubtless supply one (at a price), but I wonder if you could pick one up from a scrapyard. This may not be easy though, because I believe that the stays are easily broken.

The handbook should deal with the pairing of phones. I can't really help there because I rarely have my phone switched on, so have never tried to pair it.

I don't really know what mpg I get. I keep the display set to tell me the range I have left in the tank, which I regard as far more useful information. I don't doubt that I may get as low as 14mpg from a cold start, followed by highly spirited driving, but I think that I probably average something in the low 20s. I did once work out my consumption over a summertime 300 mile round trip on motorways, which worked out at 26mpg.

I don't do a high mileage in the XK, so the mpg is pretty irrelevant to me. Even for those who do a higher mileage, I would suggest that when it comes to calculating the cost of running a car the rate of depreciation can be a more significant factor than the mpg. The rate of depreciation of XKs has tailed off, and I hope that they may even go up in value in years to come.

thanks Leo - great car and colour combo indeed!

I think there is an issue in trying to get Samsung phones paired.  It finds my brothers iPhone no problem.  May have to go over to the dark side that is Apple!

On 1/21/2017 at 3:06 PM, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi Jon

You should be getting more than 14 mpg's, or have you been a bit throttle happy with it being new:yes:

I have the S-type R and its a lovely V8, there really smooth

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine

cheers

Joe

loving the car Joe - but 14mpg it is!

I do 3 miles to work and 3 miles back + social driving -so pretty slow driving and pretty thirsty car.