Spare Wheel For XF

senior

I've had my 2012 2.2L. XF for a couple of months (bought second hand)  What's bothering me is there's no spare wheel, just a compressor and a bottle of "jollop". Is there anybody out there who has successfully converted their boot to take a full size wheel. Tyre size is 235/55 R17. I feel the need to have a spare wheel but not a space saver. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1

Hi Rodney, and welcome to the club.

They are not designed to accommodate a full size spare wheel: Very few vehicles are nowadays. I think that the last full sized spare that I had was on a Discovery: For obvious reasons off-roaders are still fully equipped in that regard, though the wheels are stored outside the body.

If you take the boot floor out the boot will obviously take the wheel, but space will be severely compromised.

I did once contemplate doing this with a Volvo Estate, building a frame to lift the floor as required. As soon as I realised how much space I was losing I decided against it!

How often do we have a puncture? Maybe once in every 15 years? It seems a pity to pay the money, lose the space and carry the weight for that.

That said, I confess that I remain nervous about what would happen if I was unlucky enough to have a puncture - but I can live with it.

Welcome to the club, Rodney.

I am lucky enough to have a real spare wheel in my boot. And the same with previous cars.

But having said that the last puncture I had was in 2001.  I does give me a sense of security, though.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Rodney,

I can speak only for the 2010 XF 3 litre petrol version and I don't know if you have the same body layout. With my car, if you remove the felt lining to the spare wheel space and also the felt battery cover you have enough room for a full sized spare tyre with the boot floor fitting OK on top.

Like you, I was unhappy with the goo and pump.

Tony.

Hi

I have a S-type R with a space saver and I think there terrible, having no spare wheel is worse

so I bought a full size alloy and much prefer it, peace of mind

you could take off one of your wheels and see if it will fit in the boot, if it does have a look on eBay see if you can find the same alloy for a spare

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Hi All. Many thanks for the replies and information on this subject.

I have since tried successfully putting one of my wheels into the spare wheel well as I do not have the sub woofer in there. I feel, probably like most XF owners the need for a spare wheel of sorts rather than use the "jollop", as I have been informed by a tyre dealer and also the Service Advisor at  H. A. FOX Norwich that if this is used the puncture cannot be repaired and a new tyre will be required, so I guess I need to listen to the people who know. He also said that the larger wheels will fit into the wheel well due to the lower profile of the tyres, my profile is 55. I priced a new space saver wheel, jack and wheel brace from the main dealer £600:00......Jaguar rip off, or what? I'll look on eBay or somewhere for a spare of sorts, space saver or alloy. I'm sure the Styrofoam insert will probably have to go and something else put in it's place.

Once again thanks for your input, I'll be in touch when I get this sorted.

Rodney 

• Like 1

Hi

What wheels does your car have

I would say the cheapest option would be a used alloy off eBay, the space savers are ridiculously thin and there selling at over 100 pounds on eBay. You will get a alloy for a little bit more and a jack and wheel  brace should be less than 50 pounds

Cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Hi Joe

I don't know what style of alloy wheels I have, but if I buy a second hand one as "spare only" use, any style Jaguar wheel will do, tyre will be anything as long as it's compatible with what is on the car now. If you want to go to the cheapest end of the market, Tyre Shopper sells one to fit mine 235/55 R17 103W load rating for £55:42, includes Delivery to a National Tyre Centre of your choice, Fitting, Balancing, Valve, Old Tyre Disposal, Lifetime Guarantee. I'll keep looking for an alloy wheel though.

Regards

Rodney

2 hours ago, senior said:

Hi Joe

I don't know what style of alloy wheels I have, but if I buy a second hand one as "spare only" use, any style Jaguar wheel will do, tyre will be anything as long as it's compatible with what is on the car now. If you want to go to the cheapest end of the market, Tyre Shopper sells one to fit mine 235/55 R17 103W load rating for £55:42, includes Delivery to a National Tyre Centre of your choice, Fitting, Balancing, Valve, Old Tyre Disposal, Lifetime Guarantee. I'll keep looking for an alloy wheel though.

Regards

Rodney

hi

post a pic up of you car, showing the wheels and we should be able to recognise them

if your going to buy a wheel, I'd get the same one, odds are it will be a similar price

cheers

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe

Sorry about the delay with getting back to you but I had a few feelers out regarding the purchase of a spare wheel. I didn't really want a space saver wheel due to there being various issues with them. I found an excellent 17" Libra wheel (same as mine) with a Pirelli tyre on eBay for a "buy it now" price of £99, plus I was fortunate enough to only have to drive 60 miles to pick it up. If I find a wheel brace and jack all well and good, as it won't worry me too much If don't as my insurance covers me for breakdowns etc. so I can call them out.

Many thanks for  your help with this issue.

Rodney

Edited by senior
Needed to add more.
  • Like 1

Crazy these days having no spare wheel . If you had a blow out a can of " jollop" would be no good whatsoever plus a simple puncture that could be repaired would need a new tyre after putting a can of "jollop" in it . I feel much happier having a full size spare but a space saver would be better than nothing .

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 0:00 AM, senior said:

I've had my 2012 2.2L. XF for a couple of months (bought second hand)  What's bothering me is there's no spare wheel, just a compressor and a bottle of "jollop". Is there anybody out there who has successfully converted their boot to take a full size wheel. Tyre size is 235/55 R17. I feel the need to have a spare wheel but not a space saver. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Try Terry at JAG LAND (01328 823777 There over in you part of the country in Fakenham. They have massive stocks of every conceivable genuine near new & new parts at none dealer prices. Without a lot of messing around and expense for something your only need once in a blue moon, Your best bet is the space saver + tray & tools.

8 hours ago, ANDYDJ said:

Crazy these days having no spare wheel . If you had a blow out a can of " jollop" would be no good whatsoever plus a simple puncture that could be repaired would need a new tyre after putting a can of "jollop" in it . I feel much happier having a full size spare but a space saver would be better than nothing .

You can get a full size steel wheel for under £100, if you can't find a matching alloy.  I have just bought SWMBO a Toyota Yaris Hybrid  a  50th Wedding anniversary present and it had a Gloop Kit.  It will have a proper spare within a couple of weeks!  I already have the steel brace and a jack in the garage.

Much more peace of mind!

Peter.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:00 AM, senior said:

I bought a 2.2 xf second hand last february which had no spare wheel but I went on to eBay and managed to a tyre and rim for a £100 and it fits into the well in the boot

Welcome to the club, Steve.

Having a proper spare wheel gives you peace of mind.

My son had a blow out two weeks ago which damaged the alloy wheel too much to repair.  I manages to get a brand new Alloy to match for £180 from a small wheel refurbishment company in Lichfield.

All now well!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi All. 

As I have finally got my spare wheel issue sorted (at last),  I would like to share a few points with you all regarding this, some of you may be aware of what I am about to say but please bear with me.

I bought a 17" Libra wheel with a very good tyre for £99,  the guy I bought from informed me that all sizes of XF wheels will fit into the well, including a 20" as the tyre profile on those could be 30 or 35,  He had owned an XF previously and had bought 20" wheels for it so was speaking from experience, he also said that the 20" tyre was very hard riding, and the 17" was probably the most the most comfortable. I don't know what happens if there is a sub woofer in the wheel well and you want to have a full size wheel???????

Regarding the "jollop" to repair a puncture. There are some brands out there that if used the tyre cannot then be repaired, the only way is to buy a new tyre, seems an expensive exercise. Apparently Halfords sell one called SLIME, this being water based can be removed from the inside of the tyre and the tyre then repaired. 

Think about the worst case scenario.............You are on a motorway, get a puncture that cannot be repaired, no spare wheel and you have no breakdown cover. That's a big wedge.££££££    

Many thanks to all of you who have advised on this issue.

Rodney 

Edited by senior
change wording
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

My total cost of upgrading to space saver spare wheel was £100 for wheel and tools from eBay and £70 for foam from the dealer. It gives a piece of mind and also useful when you want to rotate your wheels (to extend tyre life) on your drive way. I do that every 6k miles.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, Karol said:

My total cost of upgrading to space saver spare wheel was £100 for wheel and tools from ebay and £70 for foam from the dealer. It gives a piece of mind and also useful when you want to rotate your wheels (to extend tyre life) on your drive way. I do that every 6k miles.

I thought rotating tyres was a thing of the past due to tyres having to be fitted a certain way, that's why there's a directional arrow on them and if TPMS is fitted the wheel has to stay on the same axle it was fitted too.

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, Karol said:

My total cost of upgrading to space saver spare wheel was £100 for wheel and tools from ebay and £70 for foam from the dealer. It gives a piece of mind and also useful when you want to rotate your wheels (to extend tyre life) on your drive way. I do that every 6k miles.

Is there a foam support for the space saver available from dealers?  It would be good to know, I find that my local Jaguar dealer is not interested in helping on something they don't make bucket loads of money from!

• 2 years later...

I have a 2012 XF 2.2D, bought from new. Here is my apocryphal tale.

I have always feared the day that I got a puncture and it finally occurred a couple of weeks ago.  I returned to my car after 2 hours away and found a wheel half deflated.

I decided not to employ the foam, but reinflated using an electric pump I keep in the car - just as well because when I got home (2 miles) I found the puncture was in fact a tear at the base of the valve, with air hissing out. Since the tyre was quite old, I got Halfords mobile service to fit  2 new front tyres at home the next day (good service). The fitter said the foam would not have worked and just have made a mess on the drive - and rendered the tyre unusable (they cannot remove the foam).

Next problem was that he could not remove the other front wheel to fit that new tyre - one of the nuts sheared off due to rust - the same thing happened at ATS last year. Both times I have had to go to a a garage and pay for the wheel to be removed (doubling the cost of tyre replacement).  Both they and Halfords told me that Jaguar wheel nuts are well known for failing like this - so I decided to have them all replaced with brand new ones.

I also decided to get a spare wheel and, following the recommendations on this blog, went for a full size alloy over the space saver.  I found exactly my wheel size (R18 245 X 45) and design on eBay for only £109 - it is in good condition, tyre with plenty of tread and fits under the boot floor once the plastic cut out insert containing the foam repair kit is removed.  The spare is also very heavy and requires some muscle (I am quite fit for my age!) to remove and fit it.  I guess the spacesaver is lighter - but has a limited range and speed.

I also ordered a jack plus brace kit "suitable for the Jaguar XF".  The jack is a scissor type and raising the car off the ground took a lot of time and effort - I should have paid more for a pneumatic type.

The single arm brace was a joke, could not shift most of the nuts and then sheared off completely.  I then tried my socket set, which also could not shift them. The garage was not surprised and explained that the wheel nuts are tightened tight to 125nM. This requires a long handled wrench, ideally a torque wrench, so they can then be re-tightened correctly. I just bought a Fourobber torque wrench on Amazon for £37 which does the job very well.

So I just did a dummy run with all my new equipment and wheel - It took nearly an hour and I am knackered. If I get puncture out on the road, especially at night or in bad weather I will call my rescue service and let them put on the spare!

Hope this helps

Steve G