best option for spares|?

Arthur_Daley

Hello, i bought my first jag ( an x type) from a dealership in epsom ( i live in kent) a few weeks ago. When i looked at the car, i noticed a hole in the bumper at the rear, and the dealer told me it was where the reflector should be, but was missing, I asked him if he would put in a new one, and he said "no our workshop only fits parts for safety reasons", so after i picked the car up i looked around online for a new pair (as the other rear bumper reflector was damaged) Oh eBay i found them going for £15 to £40 each plus postage. I found a spare parts site where i got a few quotes  one being for £37 , where the seller rang me to say the parts for x type jags are very rare and £37 was a steal, if i did not buy it there and then, he would charge me £42 if i rang back, so i basically told him where he could stick it! In the end i got a quote for £58 including postage fort a set of two, which fitted the car perfectly!

I noticed that the indicator lense on the left hand wing mirror was slightly cracked, and had a small hole in. One trder online offered me a second hand one for £90, telling me they were no longer made. I rang the local main Jaguar dealer, and was told they were still available and also in stock, and i got one brand new for £16! he could have sold me two brand new bumper reflectors for £58 (inc VAT)

So my question is, do i try the main dealer first, or are all the second hand parts places out to rip people off?

Hi

Yes , you can drop on some bargains on eBay, just don't buy the first one you see, have a good look

you get some people on there that break cars as well and will send you pics of parts on request

I've had some cracking deals on parts in the past

cheers

Joe

1 hour ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

Yes , you can drop on some bargains on ebay, just don't buy the first one you see, have a good look

you get some people on there that break cars as well and will send you pics of parts on request

I've had some cracking deals on parts in the past

cheers

Joe

Thanks for the tips, I guess you have to shop around a lot

Sounds to me that the dealers telling you porkies..Both the reflector and a hole in a lens if showing a white light through are both MOT failures and its the dealers responsibility when selling a car with a current MOT to ensure that is in a roadworthy condition at the point of sale unless your a trade buyer and sold as such. If I was you? I would go back to the dealer with the invoices and get the money you spent out to get it in a roadworthy condition refunded.

Try visiting you local Jaguar main dealer stores in person 1st as most have new old stock taking up room on there shelves and will be willing to give you a good discount on if ask for the manager and haggle.

4 hours ago, Old_Growler said:

Sounds to me that the dealers telling you porkies..Both the reflector and a hole in a lens if showing a white light through are both MOT failures and its the dealers responsibility when selling a car with a current MOT to ensure that is in a roadworthy condition at the point of sale unless your a trade buyer and sold as such. If I was you? I would go back to the dealer with the invoices and get the money you spent out to get it in a roadworthy condition refunded.

Try visiting you local Jaguar main dealer stores in person 1st as most have new old stock taking up room on there shelves and will be willing to give you a good discount on if ask for the manager and haggle.

Thanks for the tip, the dealership is in surrey and has been going 113 years, it has new car showrooms, and a used car one, where i got the jag from.

I got it serived at kwik fit, and it was mostly advisorys, which i had done, but the main thing was the brake pads were below the legal limit. I have kept the receepot and invocie, tomorro im getting a new motor for the windscreen washer, as only one nozel works and this is very weak too

16 hours ago, Arthur_Daley said:

Thanks for the tip, the dealership is in surrey and has been going 113 years, it has new car showrooms, and a used car one, where i got the jag from.

I got it serived at kwik fit, and it was mostly advisorys, which i had done, but the main thing was the brake pads were below the legal limit. I have kept the receepot and invocie, tomorro im getting a new motor for the windscreen washer, as only one nozel works and this is very weak too

Then if been in business for that long they should know better than to sell you a car that as soon as you left there forecourt the police could stop you and you could get a ticket for defects?.+ points on your license.

So your saying they sold you a car that needed a service and with consumable items close to or needing replacement that wasn't done or noted on any pre sales inspection? The days are long gone since a dealer can give a private buyer a receipt stating Sold as seen & tried & inspected with a current MOT..They must having giving you some kind of warrantee with the vehicle or did you get a scrap of paper and the Arthur Daley wave when leaving there forecourt that after the 1st 100yds any warrantee was void.

If I was you? I would go back to the dealer which you should have done before letting a 3rd party fix after get the list of advisory work needed...Did you keep the worn items that where removed?..And request they refund your out of pocket expenses on the items replaced to get the vehicle into a roadworthy condition.

I have just bought a Toyota Yaris Hybrid [couldn't afford an F Type] for SWMBO as a 50th Wedding anniversary present. It came with a full service, an MOT as it was just 2 years and 9 months old,  and a two year and 3 months warranty.

I was also able to check the MOT by using a App called Vehicle Smart and found that it came with no advisories.

Peter.

On 04/03/2017 at 9:44 AM, Old_Growler said:

Then if been in business for that long they should know better than to sell you a car that as soon as you left there forecourt the police could stop you and you could get a ticket for defects?.+ points on your license.

So your saying they sold you a car that needed a service and with consumable items close to or needing replacement that wasn't done or noted on any pre sales inspection? The days are long gone since a dealer can give a private buyer a receipt stating Sold as seen & tried & inspected with a current MOT..They must having giving you some kind of warrantee with the vehicle or did you get a scrap of paper and the Arthur Daley wave when leaving there forecourt that after the 1st 100yds any warrantee was void.

If I was you? I would go back to the dealer which you should have done before letting a 3rd party fix after get the list of advisory work needed...Did you keep the worn items that where removed?..And request they refund your out of pocket expenses on the items replaced to get the vehicle into a roadworthy condition.

Thanks, took the car to the local Jag dealer on Saturday and they found out that the water tank for the windscreen washers was full of gunk and they had to remove it, clean it out and put it back. I have kept the paper work and  am going to write to the dealership I bought it from and tell them about what I have had to do to the car, and ask them what the intend to do about it

• Like 1

The dealership phoned me today and said that the car was checked over when they sold it to me, and that Kwik fit conned me into getting all the things done. He said they will look into it ONLY If I can show them the used parts Kwik fit replaced, and that the paperwork I have for the repairs is no good to them! 

He will however look into getting me a refund for the washer being cleaned out by the main dealer

I had issues wth KwikFit some years ago.  I had a company car and a KwikFit card, which I used until I found that one of my staff who also had a company car  had been charged over £2000  --  this came to me from our Finance Director who brought it to my notice.  I asked to see the bill, and when I challenged KwitFit as to why a car that was only just two weeks out of warranty and had been serviced a month ago by the main dealer needed so many new parts, when all it had gone into KwikFit of two tyres.

The bill was reduced by 60%.

I keep a file for every car I have had into which goes all receipts other than fuel. Nitpicking, but rather useful.

Peter.

I have found that all of these Tyre and exhaust fitting companies just want your money for mediocre work.

I have just had my wheels fully refurbished and two of them had faults that needed a repair.  None of the Tyre Fitting companies had noticed them. I took my car to a local [Lichfield] called First Class alloys  --  a small company -- that are well respected locally for quality of work. The wheels, plus the spare wheel which is a matching alloy, were repaired and all the flaws removed before being acid bathed, cleaned in water, and then powder coated.  Just over 3 days work for £528 which is good value.  The same  company source an brand new alloy wheel for my son when his X Type had a blow out and the wheel was damaged beyond repair.  I had had several notes for a new wheel for over £300 and a second hand one of £200.  His charge  for taking a brand new cream coloured wheel, giving it a powder coating in silver to match was £180.

If any one in the locality needs a refurbish I would recommend him.

Regards

Peter.

IMG_0622.JPG