Central locking

jampot

I have a small problem with my central locking, locking the vehicle is fine, but unlocking I have to press the button a few times, sometimes I have to use the key in the door, but if I press the unlocking button on the key and flick the drivers door handle a few times it unlocks, now before I pull the drivers door trim off does anyone agree the problem is in the door.

No the spare is the same, I think I will live with it rather than pull the door trim off, I was just curious to see if anyone else had ever had this problem

Many thanks

David .

Just for interest David, I found taking the door cards off pretty straightforward. The trim was all pretty good quality and I was able to reuse the original trim clips. So don't let this put you off too much. But do allow yourself some time and have the requisite parts and solvents available, I Waxolyed mine while I was in there just for the hell of it!

If I can hijack / add to the thread, I'm having trouble again with my central locking. One press on the remote gets a temporary locking, which springs open in a couple of seconds. It needs a double click for a permanent lock. Also, a single press opens, but within a few seconds all the doors lock on their own accord. Don't think it's a remote issue as same with both, I suspect a sticking door actuator or something.

Just had the engine management light come on as well, which could be telling me exactly what the issue is! But I've given up on trying to make my OBD reader talk to my iPhone, so I'm thinking of buying an integrated reader from eBay. Not sure if it's any good, but at £10, not great risk, unless anyone has better ODB suggestions?

Many thanks, Russ :wink1:

Hello Russ, its started working ok now, but that what was putting me off was taking the door trim off, these locking systems seem to have a mind of their own. I have one of those OBD readers and I get on ok with it, but I brought a better one off eBay that does Jag and Land Rover, it found a dodgy wheel sensor then the car was telling me gearbox fault, hope you get your locking system sorted, I have now got to find why I am getting a slight misfire on gentle load, might be time for coil packs

Hey David,

Glad yours is improving, but as mentioned, don't be too afraid of the door cards, better than many I've fettled with!

May I ask which was the better OBD reader you bought? Don't mind spending a sensible amount if it's one they'll work, especially if it'll do the Landy as well!

I did coil packs and plugs and it made all the difference! Getting the inlet manifold off is a PITA which is why many won't have been touched. You'll need inlet manifold gaskets as well and I went for good quality rather than cheap as I don't intend on doing that job again for some years, if ever! :yes:

Thanks, Russ

I got the one whats in your link, its in the car at the moment and the wife has gone out in it, I have had the manifold off my friends S Type, I cheated a little, I undone as little as possible and propped it up with a piece of wood, like you I will get high quality parts then its done.

Hi

If your car has the battery backed up sounder, they play up regular, as the get older, the battery inside fails and causes random faults

I'd swap the sounder or if your handy, remove it, split it and change the 3.7v lithium battery inside it

only real way to know is plug in Jaguar IDS/SDD

as for OBD readers, most will only read, generic engine fault codes, I'd buy a mongoose lead, with Jaguar IDS/SDD, they available for about £80, you'll need a lap top will window xp on it,I used one my old laptops, second hand ones are available for less that £50 for a good one

mongoose and Jaguar IDS/SDD lets you do every thing jaguar can, as a diagnostic tool for jaguar's its a must have tool really, when you plug in it talks to every module in the car, displays any faults and tells you what the cause is and how to remedy it and you can clear any faults, plus add and remove any module on the car, plus some engine's have data loggers built in, that record all engine sensors and gearbox sensor, make fault find very easy

also in the options when you plug in, you can alter the sensitivity of the alarm activation

I have a cheap generic one, that pairs with my phone, that I take away if i go any distance in my other cars just for engine faults code and reseting them, just in case

but if  your jaguar has a touch screen, you can bring faults codes up on that and also you can put the dash in diagnostic mode and also bring engine fault codes up on that as well

a lot will be guess work on the alarm, but if you plug in with Jaguar IDS/SDD it will tell you the fault

cheers

Joe

Thanks both!

The locking issue is not affecting the alarm / sounder Joe, just the door locks, does this change your diagnosis? Mine is a 2001 X200 BTW...

Pretty sure I have an old XP laptop kicking about, and we have a tech genius at work who could rig something if not. But I think I'll go the £10 integrated unit in the 1st instance, probably handy for it's portability. If I then need something better, or have call to add and remove modules myself, I could upgrade to the Mongoose laptop option. Our local independent have the all singing all dancing one that hangs over the steering wheel, and they reset the security locking (when the car moves etc) for me for £20, so I'd only need so many of these before having my own would be the better option.

Cheers, Russ :wink1:

Just a quick update to a misfire I had, I was out and about and had to fill with fuel and I filled up with Shell petrol instead of my local BP garage and the misfire has gone, she don't like BP, or supermarket fuel for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Russ: According to the handbook the relocking after a short while is a feature that can be turned on or off by your local Jaguar dealer. If you open a door and/or insert the key into the ignition it's overridden anyway. I think it's the same for the automatic door locking once you're in motion.

My unlocking program sorted itself out, it has another weird problem now, on the same stretch of road my engine management light comes on, I just clear the fault then it does it again the next time I drive that road , its next to a farm so I am wondering if their transmitter has something to do with it. 

On 2017-6-3 at 3:35 PM, Jagnumpty said:

Russ: According to the handbook the relocking after a short while is a feature that can be turned on or off by your local Jaguar dealer. If you open a door and/or insert the key into the ignition it's overridden anyway. I think it's the same for the automatic door locking once you're in motion.

Hey Jan, it's not that I'm afraid. It happens after just a second or so and you need to be quick to open the drivers door to get in! I'm going to change the battery as I bought a new one for our Discovery which turned out to be not required. I've had the automatic speed locking turned off, particularly if you have any other locking issues, this is just a hindrance / irritation IMO!

Thanks anyway :wink1:

• 1 month later...