Juliette jealously justifies her quadrazontal juxtaposittion

mugpom

Well, I must be Mister Unlucky because I bought my platinum S type just a few days ago on the 1st of June and the honeymoon is already done and dusted. My 1st discovery was the broken bonnet ornament followed by the broken glove box latch - ask Wendy how impressed she is with that. Then I found the CD cartridge will not come out of the boot changer and today I discovered that the external mirrors do not fold [mine must be the Irish model]and the front armrest !Removed! console lid doesn't always want to play open up. Oh! and the rear screen mounted radio aerial can't pick up my favourite radio station. I had read about the great sound system reproduction of the S type but it isn't a patch on my Ford 250Watt 13 speaker including sub-woofer standard fitment system which I'm handing down to my Melbourne son-in-law. My first ever Jaguar is becoming a nightmare and I've not had it a week yet. The Ford didn't disappoint.

Well Dutchy, poo your luck but stick with it....it will be worth it.  Honest!

Of course, the bonnet ornament wasn't a standard fitting, always retro.  We have a "keep it as it left the factory" protocol on both our S-type and our XK so don't have a mascot.  There are many suitable replacements available on e-bay.

Our S is the SE model, from around run-out time (2007) but doesn't have folding mirrors either.  We were a little surprised (as was the first ,and only other, owner when he bought the car, particularly as it had been the Jaguar, Mayfair showroom car before coming to the Midlands as Stratstone, Solihull showroom car), but hey-ho.   As a consolation, we do have Jaguar Voice to control the climate, radio/cd etc. (Although it doesn't respond to four letter words).

As you are ex-Navy, perhaps a few choruses of "Shiver me timbers" and "Twas on the goodship Venus" might help. Then again.  We hope that Wendy hasn't suffered from terminal sense of humour failure, and that Juliette doesn't end up taking a one-way trip off the coat hanger (sure you know that's AKA Sydney Harbour Bridge).

Happy (future) growling

Carole & significant other (the one with boxed ears, he has just been looking at a Mk V advert!)

I had lots of small problems with my x - type when i bought it , most of them were sorted out for a few pounds . Stick with it as it hopefully will be worth it in the end . Mine is just about where i want it now and i'm glad i kept it and has been worth every penny spent . It is really disheartening to buy a car and find it has problems but most of your problems can be sorted quite easily . Plenty of cheap spares on e-bay .

Cheers ,

Andy .

Thank

9 minutes ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

HI

Your suppose to check every thing work before you buy it, Not after

Just hope you checked the sills when you bought it, as you might be in for a serious shock

cheers

Joe

Well, I didn't because I am on a short leash with medication for Parkinson's which I've had for 21 years so I have limited windows of opportunity to do anything and I had researched on-line for 3 months in compiling a short list then to have cars disappear before I could act and I couldn't consider any more than an hour from home and even that was a stretch. When in my position a goodly dose of trust is required and I expected some surprises but I really thought features of a 2005 3.0L SE  might be there since the day the car left the factory, but no, features would appear to be a lucky dip - maybe the box was empty that day - who knows how cars are built in UK. And thanks for the positive spin Joe. Like I need more shocks in my life.    

HI

If you go to the Ford ETIS page https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=VyW1v8Q9DA9zAb1QyvoNx-q84EY6unbhnE-qBI9h.eccvas1900j

and enter your vin number, you can see exactly what spec the car is and what options it has

It can be a minefield in buying a good Jaguar, s-type, they put that many electronics into them these days, they can be a right pain

some cars do have folding mirrors and they can seized if there not used regular, but have a look on ford etis and it will tell you if its got them fitted

Hope you get better luck and get it sorted easily and like Andy said there loads of spares on eBay

cheers

Joe

3 hours ago, Andy X400 3.0 said:

I had lots of small problems with my x - type when i bought it , most of them were sorted out for a few pounds . Stick with it as it hopefully will be worth it in the end . Mine is just about where i want it now and i'm glad i kept it and has been worth every penny spent . It is really disheartening to buy a car and find it has problems but most of your problems can be sorted quite easily . Plenty of cheap spares on e-bay .

Cheers ,

Andy .

Thankyou Andy,

Having a few minutes ago arrived home from Queensland Transport Wendy and I are much happier to know that Juliette Sara Jaguar is now officially a family member.

Much appreciation also to everyone who has responded positively [or not], I am confident of overcoming the small number of insignificant defects/deficiencies which may appear especially with the assistance of you fine antipodean folk and my mechanic who ok'd the S purchase. What I would like from those who are able is suggestions w.r.t. a repair and maintenance manual please.

Fair winds and rolling tarmac [following seas], Aye.

Wendy and Dutchy 

PS Some outgoing Ford pic's - She stays in the family at least.

FFG40 REAR VIEW.jpg

at Point Danger.jpg

FFG40 @ Q.jpg

Drivers door open.jpg

Hi again Dutchy

Reference workshop manual...here are some links from the JOC Forum.  You'll find the original entry under user "Raistlin"

They are in PDF format so easily viewable... and printable if you've enough paper; I have found that they do take a while to download, but maybe that's my PC being a tad slow

http://www.raistlin295.com/archive/download/jaguar/WSManual/WSManual.pdf

http://www.raistlin295.com/archive/download/jaguar/Wiring/2002/S-Type%202002.5%20Elec%20Guide.pdf

http://www.raistlin295.com/archive/download/jaguar/Wiring/2005/2005StypeElectrical.pdf

http://www.raistlin295.com/archive/download/jaguar/Wiring/2006/2006STypeElectrical.pdf

Hope that helps!

The Fairmont looks nice (although not a Jag!)...my partner says he seems to remember having a US version rental car whilst across the pond some years ago.

Yes, it is vexing to find those niggly niggles; ours, with our '07 S were that one of the EGR valves (ours is diesel) played up within 1000 miles as did the brake servo (not a cheap job), plus one of the brake lights kept popping the Bulb.  All sorted now so we are nicely chilled after the initial grrr and :wallbash:

We even had an initial niggle with our '07 6600 mile XK - slight vibration at over 60mph...turned out to be the fact that the car had sat for such long periods without moving (just 132 miles in one year) that the tyres had flatted.  Not to mention the fact that the Jaguar dealer from whence we had the XK had set the tyre pressures at varying between 23 and 36 psi!!!!!!! Double grrr and treble :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:.    All was well rather rapidly, and the appropriate Jaguar grin returned, as will yours.

Onwards and upwards, and, as always, Happy Growling.

Must go, my partner is looking at that MkV advert again :wacko:

Thanks All for your support and assistance. I shan't attempt to answer you all individually as I am digitally challenged thanks to the old PD. I now have a Jaguar factory manifest so I know the configuration of Juliette ex-build and am considerably happier having perused the shop manual which covers every part of the car [and some] though no mention of the glove box latch mechanism. The manual reads exactly like an aircraft maintenance manual and also reminds me of examination essay questions beginning with 'Sketch and Describe the Operation Of ...................'. Familiar territory is so calming. Happy Jaguar-ing, Dutchy. PS: My Nikon is on the floor behind my seat ready for some pics to share with you guys - whenever! Speaking of snaps, here's one I prepared earlier of our balcony Coral Sea view

DSCN0586.JPG

• Like 1

Glad to read that matters are coming together Dutchy.

With regard to the picture from your balcony, how relaxing is that!  We think that if we had such a view, we'd be saying "stuff the world" and staying on the balcony. Only trouble is that if my "significant other" keeps looking at those MkV adverts, he might find himself being tipped off the said balcony.  :oops:

As always, Happy Growling,  Carole  :withstupid:

Wendy and Moi engage in lots of pleasurable pastimes on the aforementioned balcony which affords us a panorama from Southport, where I was born 69 years ago next month, just a few kilometres to the North all the way around to South which brings you to the NSW border, the point of which your own James Cook, Captain, RN named Pt. Danger on his 1770 journey up the East coast and that's where the Ford photo with the 'Blue Oval' caption was taken. As for Juliette, her list of defects grows yet longer with the discovery of damage to the passenger sun visor [no lights/cover broken] plus the horn doesn't work. Still she is a treat to be with and this afternoon she growled some in the presence of a slowcoach in front - and I had not depressed the 'cut-snake' pedal more than a tad - shades of the Ford, which overtook us as we drove on Via Roma, on the back of the truck which had just loaded it moments earlier at the start of her 1850 kilometre journey to Melbourne where my son-in-law Andre' takes over.Best Regards, Wendy and Dutchy.

Hi Dutchy,

Sorry to hear you're not happy, but with all due respect, I'm not sure I've ever heard a list of more minor problems to get upset about!

If, as Joe alluded to, if you found your sills rotted through or your engine and or gearbox had exploded, I could agree you were Mr Unlucky, but a broken leaper, glove box or sun visor hardly qualifies as a nightmare! Especially on a car that must be at least 10 years old and purchased for a tiny fraction of it's original buy price!

On the upside, if the spares parts scene in Aus is anything like the UK, then you or your mechanic will hopefully be able to find suitable replacements at a fraction of the cost of original / dealer items :wink1:

All the best, Russ

Thankyou Russ, If that is short for Russell it's my middle name. With all due respect back at you mate I would have thought a fine British luxury motor car might have survived twelve years in a tad better shape. My 17 year old Ford had not one defect when the transporter loaded it for  transfer to Melbourne yesterday and it cost me less than half what the Jag was when new. Everything, and I mean everything, works. Since taking delivery on the 29th of February 2000 I made 8 four thousand kilometre round trips to Melbourne, and such an accomplished and comfortable tourer is she that I twice drove non stop, but for fuel, from Melbourne to Brisbane and once in 19 1/2 hours. On my last trip south with Wendy for my daughter's wedding she returned a best economy of 43mpg and that's from a 4 litre six the latest iteration of which [twin-cam, turbo] is said to be the world's most powerful inline 6.  So, my friend, your Jag has a little ground to make up. and should not be falling apart quite yet. Dutchy

Hey Dusty,

Sounds like you had a really good one with your Ford, I'm not completely familiar with the Fairmont, but do you know if it was built on the DEW platform, as per the S-Type?

You're probably aware that the S-Type was devised and built during Ford's ownership of the marque, and is based on a Ford floor pan, with a modified Ford engine. There is a good chance that a number of the parts you mentioned could have been from the Ford parts bins. So the issues you've had could've happened to any car, including a Ford.

Luckily the faults you mentioned are relatively minor and can hopefully be put right soon so you can get on with enjoying your new purchase :wink1:

All the best, Russ

Don't 'Dusty' me Russ, I'm Dutchy......lol.

The Australian Falcon is unique in that no other production vehicle is constructed on it's floor pan whereas the S type shared the Lincoln/Thunderbird floor pan. I doubt very much that a glove box lid, sun visor or fuel flap would go anywhere near being compatible. The issues I have with the S may have happened likewise to any number of vehicles however not one of these is relevant to my 17 year old Fairmont on which every thing no matter how small or insignificant still functions as it did on the day the car left the factory. Wendy and I, having discussed the situation at some length, have agreed to go with the flow and give our 'S' a fair go. We remain disappointed that an otherwise immaculately presented vehicle might sustain damage as mentioned which could only be occasioned by a front seat passenger who was burdened with a psychopathic temper given that the glove box door catch has been displaced from it's installed position by a rather urgent force. A more than minor problem is the boot mounted cd changer, the cartridge of which is soundly jammed in place and has thus far defied all attempts at its non destructive separation. We choose to pretend there's no such device in the boot and use the single in-dash slot.

Best Regards, Dutchy.

• Like 1

Haha, very sorry to misname you Dutchy, I think I fell foul of the computers autocorrect, no offence taken I hope?

Glad you've decided to give the S-Type a fair go. I, as do many in the club / on the forum, think a lot of them. Having one on the wide open roads of Australia would be pretty awesome I imagine, they can be somewhat wasted when stuck in UK traffic!

Mine came without the cartridge in the autochanger, which I neglected to check during my pre purchase inspection. I curse the person who removed it without replacing, how thoughtless! Try as I might I couldn't find a new cartridge, so I eventually bought an entire new CDC unit with cartridge from eBay for £30 (c$50 AUD). A relatively simple install and it's worked perfectly ever since. 

Thanks Russ, Have just run an eBay search where, from the US they fetch up to $200 so I shall persevere with my unit for the moment. Today, Sunday, we're leaving our car woes behind to spend the day touring the Scenic Rim region to the west - see map and pic. As previously stated, my pre-purchase inspection was a non event. Good Day All. 

ScenicRimMap.jpg

Fullscreen capture 100617 023225.bmp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 4:51 AM, Carole Simpson-Hadley said:

Well Dutchy, poo your luck but stick with it....it will be worth it.  Honest!

Of course, the bonnet ornament wasn't a standard fitting, always retro.  We have a "keep it as it left the factory" protocol on both our S-type and our XK so don't have a mascot.  There are many suitable replacements available on e-bay.

Our S is the SE model, from around run-out time (2007) but doesn't have folding mirrors either.  We were a little surprised (as was the first ,and only other, owner when he bought the car, particularly as it had been the Jaguar, Mayfair showroom car before coming to the Midlands as Stratstone, Solihull showroom car), but hey-ho.   As a consolation, we do have Jaguar Voice to control the climate, radio/cd etc. (Although it doesn't respond to four letter words).

As you are ex-Navy, perhaps a few choruses of "Shiver me timbers" and "Twas on the goodship Venus" might help. Then again.  We hope that Wendy hasn't suffered from terminal sense of humour failure, and that Juliette doesn't end up taking a one-way trip off the coat hanger (sure you know that's AKA Sydney Harbour Bridge).

Happy (future) growling

Carole & significant other (the one with boxed ears, he has just been looking at a Mk V advert!)

594a4910548d5_Fullscreencapture210617195543.jpg.fb7a84e812305dcfae01ce58181d4493.jpgJuliette's Cockpit for night flying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Dutchy805 said:

Thank

Well, I didn't because I am on a short leash with medication for Parkinson's which I've had for 21 years so I have limited windows of opportunity to do anything and I had researched on-line for 3 months in compiling a short list then to have cars disappear before I could act and I couldn't consider any more than an hour from home and even that was a stretch. When in my position a goodly dose of trust is required and I expected some surprises but I really thought features of a 2005 3.0L SE  might be there since the day the car left the factory, but no, features would appear to be a lucky dip - maybe the box was empty that day - who knows how cars are built in UK. And thanks for the positive spin Joe. Like I need more shocks in my life.    

I find myself in a very similar health spot, it doesn't help when a dealer resorts to name calling and bad language when questioned about the functionality of air con, etc... I bought my 2003 3.0 X type today knowing it's going to need a few tweaks here and there but just wanting an honest overview of what they were projected to be. Still where ignorance is bliss... Here's hoping we both get our vehicles to perform as we want them to. happy motoring Dutchy

G'Day to you Paul and 'Cheerio' to all my Forum Friends including Carole + significant other, Russ, Joe [Dot.Com] and please forgive any omissions,

Well folks, tomorrow the 1st day of July marks my first calendar month of Jaguar ownership and her ladyship Juliette is travelling beautifully. Having neither logged time at the helm nor noted her odo, I have no real idea just how far we've travelled however Wendy and I are settling into our respective 'bridge' duties [Wendy chooses to leave me to drive - Honest!!]. My very capable mechanic of several years, Doctor Pat, plugged his OBD machine into her yesterday and no untoward messages appeared. You may have noticed the driver's door seal damage - we ordered a replacement from Melbourne which should arrive Monday in which case Juliette shall undergo minor surgery a.s.a.p. ready for our sojourn North a few hours where we will enjoy an overnight romp on my birthday weekend.

The girl is ever eager to advance at the pace of a startled Gazelle with a growl so she requires close supervision at Constabulary 'Hot-Spots' and the engine room is under strict instructions to deny 'All Ahead Both' requests from the bridge

To mark the Lunarversary I dispatched a few photo's to the previous owner.as evidence of Juliette's level of care.DSCN0755.thumb.JPG.733cc7f4ba035dc107f2ce5ea30c4627.JPG5955b7637fd03_Stype01.thumb.jpg.c9b65a1d6a019a2278ca5d3e01efd2de.jpgDSCN0755.thumb.JPG.733cc7f4ba035dc107f2ce5ea30c4627.JPG

• Like 1

Well, Juliette certainly looks the business and has obviously landed a good home.  Delighted that the initial glitches have been overcome and that the several maiden voyages have allowed the various snags to show themselves and be attended to.  It is, of course, a little disappointing when the new pride and joy appears to be less than perfect....on our '07 S the brake servo called "time" in pretty short order which resulted in very careful docking until a new servo was sourced and fitted, whilst our '07 XK had the most annoying vibration when we first ventured out of harbour....only to discover that the dealership had failed to check the tyre pressures which were, to put it mildly, "all to the male chicken". Soon sorted though.

Have a great birthday trip (or if you've now come back, hope you had a great birthday trip).

We take it that the "Get Thee Behind Me" slogan is for any BMW or Audi types who fancy their chances, and maybe the odd Holden (are they still about in V8 format as per the Bathurst racers?).

We are shortly taking ourselves off to a Classic & Vintage Auction which includes 2 MkV Jaguars and a MkVIII amongst other delights.  We have decided not to register as purchasers on this occasion, just enjoy the scenery! Self-control can very easily go out of the window!

As always, happy growling (note: do the letters on your plate KEQ stand for "Koalas Eat Quavers?")

:happybday: